Alcatraz San Francisco

Gwendy

Let me expand on earlier comments. We too had many things we wanted to do in San Francisco, so we spent around three hours in total including the boat trip back and forth. Afterwards, there is much to do around that entire area.

Keith

Well worth the trip. I don't see that anybody else has commented on shoes, so I will. There's lots of walking, and some of it's over uneven surfaces. Be sure to wear sturdy, comfortable shoes. Your feet will thank you!

I will also add that although the website leads you to believe that you go over at a certain time and come back at a certain time, you can spend as much or as little time at Alcatraz as you like. The ferry to come back runs every 30 minutes... you can get on any return ferry up till 5 or 5:30 pm.

While on our recent NCL Pearl cruise we booked alcatraz on our own by using http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ website. We paid $26.00 pp and we were able to print out tickets before leaving for our cruise.

Once we exited the ship we made a right and walked about 2 blocks and we saw the entrace on the right hand side. We got there early and we were able to switch our tickets to an earlier time at the booth. Make sure you bring an ID with you and your tickets you must stand in line to get the paper tickets transfered to real tickets. Then you form the line to get on the ferry. The ferry leaves every 1/2 hour. Once you get to Alcatraz they will give you headphones that takes you on a "on your own tour" of the place. It was very organized and nice. They provide a free shuttle for people who have problems walking or are disabled. The shuttle takes you to the top of the hill where the walking tour begins.

Archived