Best Big-Mountain Views from Ship

zekekelso

Hi all. I'm planning my first cruise and the posts here have been great. Thanks.

One thing I haven't seen a lot of discussion of is "big mountain views." I'd love to see giant, rocky, snow-covered mountains on my trip. Unfortunately, there won't be time for a visit to the interior; I have to make do with what can be seen from the ship.

Based on trip reports and pictures, it seems like there is some of what I’m looking for at Glacier Bay and even more up at Hubbard Glacier. Looking at maps, the whole coast between the two (the Fairweather Range?) is filled with big mountains. When the ships cruise up to Hubbard, are there good views along the way? Spectacular views?

There are so many tradeoffs to balance in picking a cruise (if only there were one perfect option!). Are the mountain views on a cruise stopping at Hubbard significantly better than one that just goes to Glacier? If so, it might be worth limiting my options, even if the Hubbard-bound cruises don't have the best ports/prices/dates. But if the views are "about the same," "a little better," or "don't stress over it, it will be too cloudy to see anything anyway" then I don't want to limit myself.

Any thoughts on this, or any other mountain-vista-issues, would be *greatly* appreciated.

PS - Links to pictures would sure be appreciated too!

As Yukon said don't stress out over it, as seeing snow covered mountains won't be a problem. When we went in May they still had a lot of snow. Plus it is not just one or two, there are many to see so if one day is foggy another day will be clear. We only sailed from Vancouver to Skagway but you will not be disapointed even in this short section. Roly

Based on trip reports and pictures, it seems like there is some of what I’m looking for at Glacier Bay and even more up at Hubbard Glacier. Looking at maps, the whole coast between the two (the Fairweather Range?) is filled with big mountains. When the ships cruise up to Hubbard, are there good views along the way? Spectacular views?

There are so many tradeoffs to balance in picking a cruise (if only there were one perfect option!). Are the mountain views on a cruise stopping at Hubbard significantly better than one that just goes to Glacier? If so, it might be worth limiting my options, even if the Hubbard-bound cruises don't have the best ports/prices/dates. But if the views are "about the same," "a little better," or "don't stress over it, it will be too cloudy to see anything anyway" then I don't want to limit myself.

You'll only need to find a good spot to park yourself on the ship, front and center, to see mountain after mountain after mountain. :) We usually skip the evening production and do this after supper. It's usually very quiet onboard at that time, and we enjoy soaking up the peaceful scenery.

If you sail Hubbard, be sure to look for Mt. St. Elias. If you're lucky you'll be there on a day when the clouds are thin and the peak is visible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Saint_Elias

If you sail Glacier Bay, you're surrounded by amazing mountain scenery, too. Personally I prefer Glacier Bay simply because our Hubbard cruise 'iced out' while we were still distant from the glacier.

Either way, you will see fabulous scenery, and really can't go wrong with either itinerary.

Find a cruise with College Fjords and Glacier Bay then also rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon. Add to that a trip via boat or plane into Misty Fjords from Ketchikan....that's a glorious trip.

You pass Mt Elias...2nd tallest Mtn. in US going to Hubbard, but when we went it was raining...so we didn't see anything. Am hoping this trip in June the sun will be out so we can see more. Our photos of the Glacier were terrible, and couldn't see the side Mtns. at all.

The route into Skagway is very impressive ( http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruises2006/3484.html ) and Hubbard is even better ( http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruises2006/4074.html ). But you're going to see great mountain at many, many places starting right at Vancouver.

Thank you for the wonderful sites.

Wonderful pictures. Makes we only want to go more.

Denise

Thanks everyone - you guys have been very helpful.

Yukon: That picture from Hubbard is spectacular. Exactly what I hope to see. But it sounds like I don't need to worry if I don't make it there, lots of mountains to see along the way.

Archived