How can they skip Mexico?

Duncarob

Sadly, you are fighting a losing battle. Im not sure why people are so confused about the passport issue.

Just wait until about hmmm May 15-25. This board is going to be filled with people asking about passports.

The funny this that some actually think Carnival would require something that the govt does not.

I know. I just get sooooooo tired of the misinformation that I sometimes pop in with my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

Which is fine but Carnival does require one. So end of story if you want to get on your ship

No Carnival does not require one if a closed loop cruise.

Special exception to the Jones Act can also be optaines from the Coast Guard. We sailed out of Port Canaveral the day after Charlie and half the people missed the ship because the airports were closed. They were allowed to board at Key West the next day, the cruise line bussed them.

I know I'll probably irritate or anger some people with this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway, then duck...

Why are so many people resisting getting a passport? Yes, the initial expense is a bit steep, but then you have the best form of I.D. possible that's valid for 10 years. I lived overseas when I was growing up, so I've had a passport since I was a child, and would never consider travelling without one.

Even on trips to Canada or Mexico, I've always taken a passport. A few years ago my dad passed away while my DH & I were on a cruise. We disembarked early (in Cozumel) in order to get back to the states for his funeral. It would have been extremely difficult if not impossible to leave the ship early without passports. You just never know when you might need a passport.

O.K. -- I'll seek shelter now...

I know I'll probably irritate or anger some people with this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway, then duck...

Why are so many people resisting getting a passport? Yes, the initial expense is a bit steep, but then you have the best form of I.D. possible that's valid for 10 years. I lived overseas when I was growing up, so I've had a passport since I was a child, and would never consider travelling without one.

Even on trips to Canada or Mexico, I've always taken a passport. A few years ago my dad passed away while my DH & I were on a cruise. We disembarked early (in Cozumel) in order to get back to the states for his funeral. It would have been extremely difficult if not impossible to leave the ship early without passports. You just never know when you might need a passport.

O.K. -- I'll seek shelter now...

Good question! I have no idea.......... My family and I have all had passports for many years. Have a file of expired ones. :) I think they make things a lot easier.

I don't understand how everyone always justifies the $100 or so for a hotel room pre-cruise to have peace of mind in flying in a day early, but then doesn't want to spend money on a passport. It costs the same amount of money to get a passport and just have piece of mind on EVERY cruise.(i.e. medical emergencies, family emergencies)

Yep..and while they don't need to be round-trips you will notice that Carnival has changed most Spirit Alaska sailings next year to Seattle round-trips instead of Vancouver to Alaska one-way, Alaska to Vancouver one-way. By doing so passports will not be required. Carnival caters to Americans and thus American law.

Asolutely wrong. They will stop in Vancouver or Victoria as they must and passports will be required.

Asolutely wrong. They will stop in Vancouver or Victoria as they must and passports will be required.

Silly Me! :o I foolishly based my assessment on the rules I found in the Electronic Code of Federal regulations:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=1b3b8704cb15892f6bb910875d1bad17;rgn=div2;view=text;node=20080403%3A1.24;idno=22;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

And what Carnival has to say on the matter on their website:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a valid passport or recognized WHTI-compliant document. For a complete list of accepted documents,

Next time I will be sure to research the real experts first, like you Lynnees or perhaps Tedjazz, he seems to know everything about everything. :cool:

Maybe those passengers on the 'closed loop' cruises on Seattle to Alaska, don't intend on getting off in whichever Canadian port the ship stops at

Passports are a major hassle to get and time consuming, but well worth it when travelling and only having to dig out one piece of ID, rather than two pieces like you do now

The govt has changed nothing. The new rules for passports while start June 1st also do NOT require a passport.

Well maybe you should tell that to the cruiseline...they are the ones saying "No Passposrt, No Go", Hmmmm, I think I'll take mine, but if you would like to show up to your next cruise without yours then, hey Go For It...

Update...Just called the cruiseline, they say if I don't have a passport I'll just have to stay home, so I'll be bringing mine.

Which is fine but Carnival does require one. So end of story if you want to get on your ship

My rep with Carnival told me when I booked my cruise in September that cruises that begin and end in a US Port only will require a birth certificate. I have my passport but he stated the law was changed again that they were not needed if a cruise begins and ends in a US Port.

Silly Me! :o I foolishly based my assessment on the rules I found in the Electronic Code of Federal regulations:

Well, there you go using reputable sources for your information again. Why not be more like the rest of us and go on speculation and rumor?:p :D

On topic: I wonder if CCL will stop at Tortola more frequently now?

Well maybe you should tell that to the cruiseline...they are the ones saying "No Passposrt, No Go", Hmmmm, I think I'll take mine, but if you would like to show up to your next cruise without yours then, hey Go For It...

Update...Just called the cruiseline, they say if I don't have a passport I'll just have to stay home, so I'll be bringing mine.

Well I just talked to Carnival and they said no passport needed for my son and DIL on our 12/09 cruise because it sails from Port Canaveral and returns to Port Canaveral. I am not concerned for my self, but for my son, DIL, and 4 kids who do not sail all the time it is a big responce.

Well I just talked to Carnival and they said no passport needed for my son and DIL on our 12/09 cruise because it sails from Port Canaveral and returns to Port Canaveral. I am not concerned for my self, but for my son, DIL, and 4 kids who do not sail all the time it is a big responce.

Well I'm sure thats a big relief for you and your family, but for me, I'm not sailing Carnival, nor am I sailing out of Port Canaveral but thanks for your responce. I still think I'll go with what I was told by my cruiseline, just to be safe and hassle free.

Well I'm sure thats a big relief for you and your family, but for me, I'm not sailing Carnival, nor am I sailing out of Port Canaveral but thanks for your responce. I still think I'll go with what I was told by my cruiseline, just to be safe and hassle free.

Well since you stated you had a passport, of course you will take it.

Carnival contradicts themselves, one place says yes one place says no you dont need one. I know Im smart enough to read the govt regs which state no passport needed, think Ill stick with the govt guidelines instead of some rep who works for Carnival for passport regs information I can depend on. Better yet read it for myself.

Archived