For Lorekauf: I ordered liver in the main dining room, just for you....

Old As Dirt Mom

..... and it was very good:) Here's the description from the dinner menu on the Amsterdam:

Calf's Liver with Apple and Pancetta

Thinly sliced and sauteed, topped with caramelized onion, served on a bed of sauteed spinach with a crispy potato pancake

What they didn't mention in the menu were the lovely slices of bacon and nice, brown gravy that added to the flavor. The liver was cooked just right, pale pink in color. I haven't eaten liver in years, maybe decades. If I knew how to prepare it as well as the HAL kitchen, I might not have relegated it in my mind to the level of tripe, tongue, and other awful offal and organ meat.:eek:

Just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you, Lorekauf!;)

Had the liver and onion's on the Noordam last November. It was a formal night and I have to say it was delicious but it was a little weird eating liver and onions in a tuxedo!

Hope they have it on our Maasdam cruise that starts next week. I would definitely order it again!

..... and it was very good:) Here's the description from the dinner menu on the Amsterdam:

Calf's Liver with Apple and Pancetta

Thinly sliced and sauteed, topped with caramelized onion, served on a bed of sauteed spinach with a crispy potato pancake

What they didn't mention in the menu were the lovely slices of bacon and nice, brown gravy that added to the flavor. The liver was cooked just right, pale pink in color. I haven't eaten liver in years, maybe decades. If I knew how to prepare it as well as the HAL kitchen, I might not have relegated it in my mind to the level of tripe, tongue, and other awful offal and organ meat.:eek:

Just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you, Lorekauf!;)

Thank you for this post. I'm not in a good mood today and it gave me a good laugh:D.

Ok Cow Princess......you have got to order it now...see how good it is!

Ok Cow Princess......you have got to order it now...see how good it is!

I'd hate to take someone else's portion y'know (like your portion :D)-- I'm sure it'll be on your upcoming cruise. Liver freezes quite well, you can have mine.

(Yeah, I know -- I just give and give :D)

Hate to sound a sour note, but DW ordered liver on the Volendam last December, and she got an enormous overcooked slab that would have kept our dogs happy for about a week! Maybe they had a lot of liver about to expire and dumped inventory.

From the Volendam Main Dining Room Menu::D

Calf's Liver Aux Chiens

An enormous, overcooked slab about to expire,

prepared especially with our canine friends in mind

I'd hate to take someone else's portion y'know (like your portion :D)-- I'm sure it'll be on your upcoming cruise. Liver freezes quite well, you can have mine.

(Yeah, I know -- I just give and give :D)

Your are WAY to kind:D.

And when my husband heard they had meatloaf, he jumped for joy. He loves meatloaf and is looking forward to it. He's so easy to please.:D

Right on, meat loaf appeared on the menu the last night of the cruise. My husband loved it. I did not. I reproduce the description here exactly as it was written on the menu::D

Master Chef Meatloaf

Ground Beef and Veal roast to your perfection served with tomato sauce, assorted vegetables, mashed potato and topped with onion frizzy

Right on, meat loaf appeared on the menu the last night of the cruise. My husband loved it. I did not. I reproduce the description here exactly as it was written on the menu::D

Master Chef Meatloaf

Ground Beef and Veal roast to your perfection served with tomato sauce, assorted vegetables, mashed potato and topped with onion frizzy

What is onion frizzy? Is it having a bad hair day?:D

Wow -- Lorekauf -- you made headlines with liver!!! Now that's super - made me laugh too! I could never understand why HAL had such things on the menu. We eat meatloaf and hamburger at home. I want filet and prime rib on cruises. To each their own. Vicki:)

Judging from this thread, HAL is offering liver because it seems many enjoy it. There have been comments people don't cook it for themselves so it is a treat to have it offered on the ships.

I haven't seen it on many menus in our area so for DH it's a treat that I don't make him. I used to but no more..... I no longer eat it.

Does anyone remember an episode of "MASH" in which Hawkeye despaired of a too predictable menu? He declared it thusly.

"..a river of liver and an ocean of fish!"

By the way, I think the liver and the meatloaf recipes sound delicious. I usually want the seafood and chicken dishes more, but I may have to change my ways.

Judging from this thread, HAL is offering liver because it seems many enjoy it. There have been comments people don't cook it for themselves so it is a treat to have it offered on the ships.

I haven't seen it on many menus in our area so for DH it's a treat that I don't make him. I used to but no more..... I no longer eat it.

And then the reason for meatloaf is???? Easy to eat for those getting on in years?!! I think they try a little of everything and star it if it fits the budget nicely. Vicki

OK, to be fair, there were other entree selections on the menu besides meatloaf and liver. Over the course of our 3-day cruise, we had on the dinner menu:

Day 1: Penne Fresca, Cobb Salad, Pan-Roasted Salmon with Portobello Orzo, Prime Rib of Beef au Jus, Barbecue Pork Spareribs, Braised Chicken in Garlic and White Wine, and Eggplant Cannelloni Parmigiano.

Day 2: Farfalle Affumicato, Greek Style Beef Salad, Hazelnut Crusted Salmon, Black Pepper Grilled Sirloin Steak, Calf's Liver with Apple and Pancetta, Duck Breast a la Orange, Eggplant and Zucchini Piccata.

Day 3: Linguine with Clams and Tomato, Amsterdam Cobb Salad, Mediterranean Spiced Salmon Fillet, Master Chef Meatloaf, Oven-Roasted Lamb Leg, Chicken Cordon Bleu, and Spinach Layered Crepes.

In addition, there was the "always available" menu comprising a grilled chicken breast or a New York Strip Steak. And of course, there was a selection of appetizers, soups and salads, and desserts.

Archived