Beaches in Malaga...

Does anyone have any information on the beaches in Malaga, Spain? I have the latest Porthole magazine and they have an article about Malaga. We are traveling with our 2 teenagers and don't want to miss out on some beach fun when possible! We are scheduled for an excursion to Alhambra and I doubt we can do both. Are the beaches that fantastic?

Hi Paula,

You'd need to head out of Malaga, westwards starting from Torremolinos (very British) or eastward from Rincon de la Victoria(very German). They're beaches, bars, cafes, shops. Being the Costa del Sol's closest beaches to the airport, they're a little down-market & unremarkable. Can give you more details/better beach suggestions, but doubt you'll have time if you're going to Granada. Suggest you give the beaches a miss on this day.

Regards

John Bull

Alhambra seems to figure large in the American psyche. But if not, Wendy's right about Ronda - up on a high plain, moorish old town, split from new(er) part of town by a deep ravine and high bridge, and an interesting bullring. 'Fraid I find caves boring, but those at Nerja are more intricate than most, and could be combined with a pleasant beach at Burriana, just east of Nerja, and old-town Nerja, centred on the Balcon de Europa, which also has a small & under-used beach. Nerja under an hour by expressway, Ronda mebbe 90 mins by more scenic roads, both serviced by tour buses.

John Bull

Thank you so much for your replies! I am afraid we are spoiled by Florida and Caribbean beaches so the kids would probably be dissapointed in comparison. The last thing I want on this cruise is another Miami Beach:eek: (No offense towards Miami Beach....just too many people for my liking)

Alhambra seems to figure large in the American psyche. But if not, Wendy's right about Ronda - up on a high plain, moorish old town, split from new(er) part of town by a deep ravine and high bridge, and an interesting bullring. 'Fraid I find caves boring, but those at Nerja are more intricate than most, and could be combined with a pleasant beach at Burriana, just east of Nerja, and old-town Nerja, centred on the Balcon de Europa, which also has a small & under-used beach. Nerja under an hour by expressway, Ronda mebbe 90 mins by more scenic roads, both serviced by tour buses.

John Bull

I was in Spain just last week and saw both the Alhambra and Nerja. I would rank Alhambra #1 but if you have no interest in it, Nerja is a good choice. It is a 45 minute bus ride from Malaga or you could rent a car to do it on your own schedule if you feel comfortable driving. The caves of Nerja are quite interesting (but I always like caves) and can be done in about 45 minutes, a little longer if you are like me and like to pause and enjoy. There are lots of steps though so be warned if you have trouble with stairs. Afterwards, Burriana Beach is a great choice or the hill town of Frigiliana (about 5 miles from Nerja) is very picturesque - all can be accessed by car, bus, or taxi. The people of Nerja are very friendly and the town is lovely. If you had a decent length port stop, 10 hours or so, you could probably have time for the caves, a walk through Nerja and lunch (try Pinnochio), a stop in Frigiliana to try their vino dulce (dessert wine), and two or more hours at the beach.

I have read each reply with great interest! I think we will stay with the Alhambra excursion and do the beach in Cannes. Our teens have spent many years studying the Spanish language and have learned quite a bit about the beautiful country of Spain. This is their first trip to Europe and we want it to be fun as well as educational;) We are so excited about this cruise...our kids are growing up so darn quickly! Cruises have been a huge source of family enjoyment for us and travel is truly the best education. (And it so fun:D)

Archived