Laptops

MOOKIE544

We're sailing on the Star Princess this summer. My husband is bringing his laptop. What sort of WiFi service is available? Free or fee? :confused: (We're in a mini suite, not a full sized one.)

Not free, it is the same fee as the regular internet. Best to buy a package which works out to about 55 cents 2 minute (not cheap).

Wireless is available in cabins via hotspots throughout the ship. :)

Internet is not free. Cost is the same from your laptop or in the internet cafe. It is

75 cents per mnute, or you can buy a package. These are:

100 minutes for $55

150 minutes for $75

250 minutes for $100

500 minutes for $175

No refund for unused minutes.

Coonect is via satelite and slow.

We're sailing on the Star Princess this summer. My husband is bringing his laptop. What sort of WiFi service is available? Free or fee? :confused: (We're in a mini suite, not a full sized one.)
As has been said, you can use your laptop in your cabin using WiFi for the same fee structure as using the ship's computer. There are hubs in the hallways every two cabins or so. Don't expect to be able to do much other than text emails and even that, at a snail's pace. There is limited bandwidth and if you are using your computer when others are using theirs, it'll be excrutiatingly slow. I use mine either early in the morning or late at night, after dinner. Also, do not expect to be able to upload or download graphics or files; these are bandwidth hogs and will slow not just your computer but everyone else's as well. And finally, there might be parts of a day, or even days, when the Internet is not available. This happens when the ship moves between satellite coverage areas.

Also,

What we did is downloaded any emails. Then unhooked. And I mean kill the wireless NIC card. There have been times when folks thought they were disconnected and were not and had a heck of a bill. Then pre compose replies and copy and paste next time you hook on. ie be online as short as possible.

We took ours on a Hawaii cruise. Wireless was not in cabins at that time. I was posting photos to my server at home. Resized photos to about 5x5. Did all the html and took the laptop down to the cafe. Then hooked in and sent. I was never online on the wireless longer than 2 mins. We did this because at that time wireless charge was different than the normal package. Now they are all in one.

The data hogs are the ones trying to use magic jack and skype on the ship. LOL

We also had a data card. This worked well as we were on a Hawaii cruise. Pulled close to the islands and bamm!!! we were dsl from the balcony. But that is USA.

Also,

What we did is downloaded any emails. Then unhooked. And I mean kill the wireless NIC card. There have been times when folks thought they were disconnected and were not and had a heck of a bill. Then pre compose replies and copy and paste next time you hook on. ie be online as short as possible.

exactly what i did in the med. i never needed to add minutes.

oops! sorry, that was me skyping. (worked great too!)

Also,

We took ours on a Hawaii cruise. Wireless was not in cabins at that time. I was posting photos to my server at home. Resized photos to about 5x5. Did all the html and took the laptop down to the cafe. Then hooked in and sent. I was never online on the wireless longer than 2 mins. We did this because at that time wireless charge was different than the normal package. Now they are all in one.

We also had a data card. This worked well as we were on a Hawaii cruise. Pulled close to the islands and bamm!!! we were dsl from the balcony. But that is USA.

Very good information. If you DISABLE POPUP BLOCKING there will be a popup box that will make logging off easy. Do not assume you are logged off until you see a report on teh amount of time you used and have remaining. If this report does not appear or you do not see the logoff popup then type 1.1.1.1 in the address bar to end the session to prevent additional charges.

My email program and ISP allow me to download my emails then logoff read and compose emails off-line. Then I log on again and send them, no need to copy and paste doing this way.

I also use a freeware program "Fotosizer" to resize the photos I want to email. It can do batches of one at a time and is very eaasy to use. Just do not try to send the photos in there full size as those are very large files and are not needed to convey good images people can see in your emails.

I also agree if you have a wireless broadband card such as with Verizon Wireless it works great in many of the locations that are covered in the plans.

While the ships internet is "slow" it really is not that slow, it is just being shared with many users as well as shipboard use. Remember things such as the Bridge Cam are being sent using it as well. Plan your useage at times when fewer people are using it and it will work better.

exactly what i did in the med. i never needed to add minutes.

oops! sorry, that was me skyping. (worked great too!)

LOL!!!!! Meant NO disrespect. Just doing photos if sized right doesnt use any more than loading websites is what I meant.

Broadband card on Verizon isn't even necessary. Just use the Internet and Text Messaging plan on Verizon cell phones. You can text and pic message to regular email addresses, and you can surf yahoo and Gmail through the cell phone internet. You can usually use the same USB cable to connect either your digital camera or your cell phone to your laptop.

Very good information. If you DISABLE POPUP BLOCKING there will be a popup box that will make logging off easy. Do not assume you are logged off until you see a report on teh amount of time you used and have remaining. If this report does not appear or you do not see the logoff popup then type 1.1.1.1 in the address bar to end the session to prevent additional charges.

I always have popups blocked. Would it be a good idea to disable that, or could it be just as easy to bookmark the 1.1.1.1 page and click that on a browser? Is there anything to click after getting to the page like to actually log off, or once loading that page, it will log off?

I always have popups blocked. Would it be a good idea to disable that, or could it be just as easy to bookmark the 1.1.1.1 page and click that on a browser? Is there anything to click after getting to the page like to actually log off, or once loading that page, it will log off?

Once you have entered 1.1.1.1 and it loads, it will log you off and show the report on minutes used. You really do not have to disable your pop-up blocker and I do not like to do it. But that is one option as stated in teh handout from the Internet Cafe. No matter how you log off you need to make sure that you are logged off and that it tells you that and shows the report on minutes used.

The safes are not very large, you may be able to squeeze a small net notbook in but there is not much room.

I have a Steel cable I loop around the leg of the bed and then lock to my laptop and never had any problem nor do I worry anything happening to it when it is locked.

Alan on the Emerald Princess

Isn't internet FREE for SUITE guests?? How large of a laptop will fit in safe?? These questions are for The Grand Princess!

Not free, it is the same fee as the regular internet. Best to buy a package which works out to about 55 cents 2 minute (not cheap).

Wireless is available in cabins via hotspots throughout the ship. :)

Can a Elite/Platinum member use their "free" minutes on wireless now? The last time we cruised on Princess in January 2008 to use our "free" minutes, we had to use the ships computers. And if we wanted to use our laptop we had to purchase additional minutes. Of course, back then we didn't have any hotspots in the cabins either.

Sorry for repeating this question, but no one answered it. Is wifi now available in cabins on the Star? Thanks! :p

I have been following those that have used wifi in there cabins and I have not seen anyone said yes. It was suppose to get it as all pricess ships will. Sorry can't help you. I know it is on the grand as I have used it in my cabin and now I am on the emerald and it has it for sure.

Alan

I have been following those that have used wifi in there cabins and I have not seen anyone said yes. It was suppose to get it as all pricess ships will. Sorry can't help you. I know it is on the grand as I have used it in my cabin and now I am on the emerald and it has it for sure.

Alan

I have also been following this but for some reason no one seems to know about the Star. Keep hoping someone that is on the Star now or recently off, might see this and answer.

My email program and ISP allow me to download my emails then logoff read and compose emails off-line. Then I log on again and send them, no need to copy and paste doing this way.

I also use a freeware program "Fotosizer" to resize the photos I want to email. It can do batches of one at a time and is very eaasy to use. Just do not try to send the photos in there full size as those are very large files and are not needed to convey good images people can see in your emails.

I also agree if you have a wireless broadband card such as with Verizon Wireless it works great in many of the locations that are covered in the plans.

While the ships internet is "slow" it really is not that slow, it is just being shared with many users as well as shipboard use. Remember things such as the Bridge Cam are being sent using it as well. Plan your useage at times when fewer people are using it and it will work better.

Hi again WWCJR!

I still have the pages about wifi logon you sent me ages ago and here you are again showing your incredible ability with computers etc. I was wondering, are you back from your cruise in May, in time to come with me on mine in July? It would be very handy to have my personal IT person on board!!

Regards Jen

I have the Verizon Wireless Broadband PC Card

Never thought that there was a plan outside of the United States.

Could you elaborate where in the Caribbean the Wireless card gets

service and if it is covered under the current pricing plan?

I will be going to San Juan, Antigua, St. Thomas and Bermuda.

Thanks!

Hi again WWCJR!

I still have the pages about wifi logon you sent me ages ago and here you are again showing your incredible ability with computers etc. I was wondering, are you back from your cruise in May, in time to come with me on mine in July? It would be very handy to have my personal IT person on board!!

Regards Jen

I would love to join you on a cruise in July, but neither DW or I have enought vacation time thi syear to de another cruise. I would not cll myself an IT guy. I do like to help others with what ever knowledge I have.

I hope you have a great cruise!

I have the Verizon Wireless Broadband PC Card

Never thought that there was a plan outside of the United States.

Could you elaborate where in the Caribbean the Wireless card gets

service and if it is covered under the current pricing plan?

I will be going to San Juan, Antigua, St. Thomas and Bermuda.

Thanks!

I'm on the same cruise as you are on the CB. The best I can tell is that while San Juan is in the plan they do not have broadband coverage there. I had though about leaving mine at home this time, but will probably take it as I can still use it while waiting for our flights and as we approach NYC.

You are correct it is pretty much limited to the US.

Can a Elite/Platinum member use their "free" minutes on wireless now? The last time we cruised on Princess in January 2008 to use our "free" minutes, we had to use the ships computers. And if we wanted to use our laptop we had to purchase additional minutes. Of course, back then we didn't have any hotspots in the cabins either.

Yes the free minutes are good on a laptop. :D

Once you have entered 1.1.1.1 and it loads, it will log you off and show the report on minutes used. You really do not have to disable your pop-up blocker and I do not like to do it. But that is one option as stated in teh handout from the Internet Cafe. No matter how you log off you need to make sure that you are logged off and that it tells you that and shows the report on minutes used.

Thanks for the information! Just a few days to go...:D

Archived