cruisinmama help...Key West

luckynumber6

Hello Cruisinmama or anyone else...

I have been searching the Key West thread as I am trying to prepare if my June cruise is rerouted to Key West instead of Cozumel. Key West sounds like a place that would be great fun for my husband and I, but am having trouble with family friendly and cruise friendly activities. I saw you had posted something there...I saw you said you were going to go to the beach. Are you going to the Fort Zachary one? I use the ports of call boards all the time and get great info. I am having trouble with the Key West one. I have found more info on Tripadvisor, but many of those activites do not suite cruise ship times or are non refundable. I really do appreciate all the great advice I have gotten off of cruise critic, but Key West is kind of stumpin' me.....I really don't think I am too too worried about the Swine Flu, but stepping off a ship in a port I do not have something prepared to do with my 6 kids under 12 - scares the heck out of me....any parent been there and knows of something to do that is active and kid/cruise ship time friendly?

I know this isn't the port forum... but thought worth a try...

I'm not sure how much help I will be, but I spent a week in Key West with hubby a few years ago, then visited again via cruise ship on my last cruise.

Anyway, you should consider the trolley tour with the on-off anytime option. It travels all over the island (which is only 4 miles by 1 mile), and stops at all the popular and historic places - Southernmost point, Fort Zachary, Hemmingway House, Little White House, Duval Street, etc.). My favorite tour was the Hemmingway House, because I got to pet and feed some of the cats (I think there were 15 or 16 there when we went).

There is also a butterfly farm, which hubby and I walked to when we were in port for the day. It's very beautiful and calming.

On the way back to the ship, you should definitely try the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick! :) This is also the place to get the "original" cheeseburger in paradise. My favorite restaurant on the island was a polish place just inside the market area (sorry forgot the name, but it was recommended to us by the lady who ran the B&B we stayed at). Second favorite was Boar's Head pub for lunch, followed by Michael's, which has a nice outdoor deck and a mean chocolate lava cake!

Most people from the cruise ships snorkel at the beach in the fort area, so it might be a bit crowded depending on the number of ships in port that day. Still, it's very nice, and a great photo spot. When we went, there was a couple getting married at sunset.

There is usually live entertainment near the pier as well. We watched a juggler comedian on a tall unicycle and some tumblers when we stayed during the week.

Key West is a great place to just "wander"---it's small enough that you can walk around, it's America, so you're aware of the "laws"! and there's lots of "souvenier" type stores, neat restaurants, etc....that you can do, even with kids!

It's really not necessary to spend a bunch of money on excursions in KW!

Yes Key West, we were headed there in June before I transferred ships/itineraries. :) Here is the map that I had of the beach area...

http://www.keywest.com/beaches.htm

I was planning to get on the trolly and either hop off at the closest beach or hop on and off at different sights like the Aquarium. Everyone was raving about the aquarium.

Tickets for trolly and map of the stops are here...

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/

Take a look at the trolly stops and you can plan your trip from there.

Thank you everyone.... I have to say what you all said is kinda what I thought, but wanted it confimred...It does seem like the place to wander and see stuff.... I will look into each of your suggestions - Thank you again for your help.

I was there about 2 years ago -- in our party (but not all in my family ;)) were two 8yo girls, a boy about to turn 3 and a 2 1/2 yo girl (as well as 4 adults). We just walked where we wanted to go. We went to Southernmost Point, the aquarium, lunch at a restaurant, then the girls went to the Pirate Soul Museum while the little ones went back to the ship for a nap. The girls liked the pirate museum the best and the little ones liked the aquarium. None of the kids got much out of the Southernmost Point, although the big girls did kinda get it -- just didn't see the point in taking a long walk to go see it. We also walked right by the butterfly house, so that's also within easy walking distance of the ship, but we didn't go in because we have a really nice butterfly house in our home town.

Definitely don't pay for an excursion to any of the above, they're all a really easy walk (OK, except for the Point, that's a kinda long walk, but easy bus/trolley ride) from Mallory Square, where you'll either dock or be shuttled to.

HTH!!!

Archived