How does HAL compare to Cunard?

In August, we crossed on the QM2 to Southampton, flew to Copenhagen, and picked up the Eurodam for the crossing back to NY. Both ships were spectacular; both had excellent lecturers, entertainers, accommodations, service, and food. I don't think you will be disappointed in HAL.

Perhaps Cunard might be a little more formal. The passengers seemed to get dressed up more - maybe because it was a crossing and there was dancing nightly in the Grand Ballroom.

Passenger demographic will be much the same, with fewer British accents. Far fewer formal nights, but I found many dressed pretty formally even on casual nights. Food about the same, great enrichment lecturers...Grest jigsaw puzzles...EM

Generally, you'll find that HAL has similar passengers but is more formal. On regular cruises, HAL has begun an optional open seating program that has no equivalent on Cunard.

You also may feel quite at home on the Noordam. The QV is a variant of the same class of ship as the Noordam ("Vista" class) -- so although the furnishings will be quite different, the layout and cabins should be similar.

Question - I recall when the Queen Victoria was launched, there were complaints of inadequate storage space for long trips with formal wear. In an interview last year, I recall Carol Marlowe admitting the problem and saying that plans for address it were in progress. What was your experience in this regard?

Mark

We did our first Cunard cruise on the QV in August and loved it. The comments about the formality are correct. All three dress code levels require gentlemen to wear a jacket on Cunard; HAL has formal and elegant casual. Elegant casual does not require a jacket. Dress codes on our cruise were adhered to. If this is important to you, they are sometimes unenforced on HAL, a subject of much debate and some rancor.

The demographics on Cunard probably skew a little younger, but I think that is itinerary dependent.

The big difference is dining. In which category did you dine? I have heard that Britannia is comparable to HAL dining, but the Grills are a different kettle of poisson altogether. The interior layout of QV is vastly different from Vista/Signature. We could not believe that they had similar DNA. Again, which cabin class? I think that the Britannia/HAL experience are similar, but much preferred the QV's design and layout. It somehow seemed smaller than the Eurodam.

I think you will enjoy HAL. Service levels are comparable (that is to say, outstanding).

Cheers

Mark

My mother's opinion - she hasn't cruised on the QV, but she was on the QM2 and her opinion of it was that it seemed like "a big, empty shell" compared to HAL. She much prefers HAL's elegance. And please don't think I'm trying to sound like a HAL cheerleader, either! These are her words. Plus my mother is British - may be partial defiance on her part!

Personally I would like to try Cunard at some point in time as well. I would definitely agree that it is likely more of a formal atmosphere than HAL. My mom was upgraded to a suite (long story), so she got to dine in a special dining room.

Last year it was 77 days on the QE2.... this year 28 days on the Statendam. I loved both cruises and both ships but..... Unless you like being formal each and every sea night, I think you will find HAL very appealing. We found food was not as heavy as on QE2. I would have no qualms about HAL.

Susan

...although the furnishings will be quite different, the layout and cabins should be similar.

However in many cases, they're not

Decks 2 and 3- with the exception of the showlounge forward and the dining room and kitchens aft - are completely different.

Deck 9 is also very different in that the midship pool on the Cunarder is completely open whereas Noordam has a Magrodome.

Noordam has outside glass elevators - QV has Suites midship, most of which are of a completely different arrangement and even location than HAL's ship.

Then of course, the kicker: If you're in Princess Grille or Queen's Grille accommodations and you're traveling with friends/family in lower accommodations and wish to dine together - They may not come up to dine with you, you have to go down to dine with them.

We have just finished our first cruise on the Queen Victoria, 32 days of the World Cruise. It was fantastic. We are booked for 20 days next February on the Noordam. It is certainly cheaper than the QV, but is that because it won't be quite as good?

Having sailed both, I can say you will find quite a big difference. Although the hulls are similar, the interiors couldn't be more different.

The QV has the Royal Court shops section which the Noordam doesn't. You will also notice that the QV had a feeling of more open spaces, where the Noordam feels more enclosed.

The Lido on the QV has the more beautiful decor of the two, where I feel the Noordam has a somewhat tacky feeling to it. I didn't really like the disorganization of the lido on the QV, nobody lined up, or if you did get in a line, someone in front of you would stop a chat and block the line.

The QV was by far my favourite ship, very elegant!

You did not say whether you were in Queens Grille or Princess Grille on the QV, but if you were, there is not a valid comparison with Noordam or any other HAL ship. We much prefer the HAL ships to what I consider the "stuffiness" and class distinctions of Cunard:)

Hi!

As one who has sailed many times with both Cunard and HAL I can tell you with authority that one of the biggest differences is the caliber of the bands, orchestras and musicians on board. With HAL you will find mostly mediocre musicians and tiny little combos such as the HALCATS. HAL devotes very little space to dance floors. You will find no real ballroom dancing. If you like postage stamp size dance floors you will love HAL. If you have like discount musicians who play synthesizers you will love HAL. On the other hand, Queen Mary 2 has a large orchestra for dancing with suitable space for doing so. In addition, you will also find other great musicians that play about the ship.

MY last cruise with HAL was a 35 day voyage in 2005 on the MAASDAM. I noticed then that the wait staff in the dining room was too far stretched and had way too many tables to serve. (The bean counter's cut backs.)This obviously stressed out the waiters which does not make for great service. Also, the ship signed on the worse musicians possible. MInd you, this was a long cruise where one should expect the best service. More and more on these boards you find reports of HAL waiters with too many tables to take care of and very loud musicians who drive people away. On my voyages with Cunard including the SAGAFJORD, QE2 and Queen Mary 2, I have never found that to be an issue. FYI, On QE2 I was in the Caronia dining room and on QM2, the Britannia. If you llike waiters who are stressed out and slower then choose HAL. If you like musicians who drive people away then you will love HAL.

I have been tempted to sign on for the 35 day crusie on the MAASDAM this coming July. BUt I just can't take the chance of being stuck on a ship with not enough waiters and crummy musicians. Then there is the issue of outdoor deck space. If you like limited outdoor deck space you will love HAL. At least on the QM2 there is plenty of outdoor deck space....

I could go on and on.....

Deck chair.

Thank you all for these illumination replies.

In answer to mark, if there was a storage problem in the QV cabins it has been dealt with. We found it very easy to store 4 large suitcases and with two and a half wardrobes, shelves, bedside and desk drawers we had all the storage we needed. We did not need to use the very large storage drawer beneath the bed.

The Eurodam is a bit closer to the QM II than the Ryndam and Veendam, because it is much larger. The evening shows on the QM II were comparable to Broadway. The Eurodam could afford better singers and dancers than the Ryndam and Veendam, but still not of the caliber of the Cunard ships. The food on the QM II again was better than HAL, more lobster, prime rib and shrimp. Our waiter on the QM II was able to score 7 extra lobsters for seconds at our table. More tux's on the QM II, even though there are many on the HAL ships. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We have just finished our first cruise on the Queen Victoria, 32 days of the World Cruise. It was fantastic. We are booked for 20 days next February on the Noordam. It is certainly cheaper than the QV, but is that because it won't be quite as good?

Expect your comparisons will be greatly affected by the accommodations you chose on the Cunard and the resulting dining room you were assigned- Queen's Grill; Princess Grill or Brittania.

Would be most interested in reading your opinions and experiences, comparing the two ships

Have a great cruise!!

Generally, you'll find that HAL has similar passengers but is more formal. On regular cruises, HAL has begun an optional open seating program that has no equivalent on Cunard.

You also may feel quite at home on the Noordam. The QV is a variant of the same class of ship as the Noordam ("Vista" class) -- so although the furnishings will be quite different, the layout and cabins should be similar.

Question - I recall when the Queen Victoria was launched, there were complaints of inadequate storage space for long trips with formal wear. In an interview last year, I recall Carol Marlowe admitting the problem and saying that plans for address it were in progress. What was your experience in this regard?

Mark

Mark

Cunard does have a unique dining experience in the Queen's and Princess Grills (two separate dining rooms). You have an assigned table which is yours for the duration of the dining hours, allowing you to arrive for your meals when you wish and always with the same waiters who get to know your preferences. We have sailed twice on the QM2, once in Princess Grill and once in Queens Grill (QG was an upgrade). Grill Dining was a memorable experience with many of the meals gourmet quality and always outstanding service.

My mother's opinion - she hasn't cruised on the QV, but she was on the QM2 and her opinion of it was that it seemed like "a big, empty shell" compared to HAL. She much prefers HAL's elegance.

And the atmosphere on QM2 is 'not' elegant ?? :confused:

The interiors of QM2 and QV are posh compared to the Farcusian designs found within the Vista ships. They can be best described as chintzy. It's like the design team had a bad ac*d trip. :rolleyes: (Take the "blob" hanging in the atrium of Eurodam .. elegant? ... far from it)

Archived