first time cruisers-AOS

My DH and I are sailing on the AOS in July to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I just found this board and have been looking around but so far I haven't seen too much about this ship. Anyone have suggestions regarding what to bring or not to bring? We have a balcony stateroom, do we still need to bring the over the door shoe bag I've heard about on here? I'm a little worried about what kind of clothes to pack as I don't like to get too dressed up. Will this be a problem? Can I wear a nice top and capris to dinner. DH, nice pants and a polo shirt? Any suggestions on anything for our first cruise, greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You should have plenty of storage space---the cabins are well-laid out. Capris are fine on casual nights, but on the formal evening/s, you should wear eveningwear--cocktail dress for you, dark suit for hubby...or gown and tux---your choice. If you don't want to dress up, you can dine elsewhere. Some will tell you to wear what you want, even on formal night, but if you do, you'll be in the minority. You don't need elaborate evening clothes, but something a touch dressier than 'daytime" wear will stand you in good stead.

Clothing for the daytime is shorts, tees, bathing suits.....typical vacation attire! Even in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, shorts are fine.

My DH and I are sailing on the AOS in July to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I just found this board and have been looking around but so far I haven't seen too much about this ship. Anyone have suggestions regarding what to bring or not to bring? We have a balcony stateroom, do we still need to bring the over the door shoe bag I've heard about on here? I'm a little worried about what kind of clothes to pack as I don't like to get too dressed up. Will this be a problem? Can I wear a nice top and capris to dinner. DH, nice pants and a polo shirt? Any suggestions on anything for our first cruise, greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You will have a blast on the Adventurer! She is a beautiful and fun ship. With just the two of you, you will have plenty of storage space. I've never needed or used the over-the-door shoe bag.

For casual nights, you will be fine in a nice top and capris or pants, especially with some cute dressy sandals. Your hubby will be fine also. For formal nights, you do need to bring something a little more dressy if you plan on eating in the main dining room. A cocktail dress for you and dress pants/button up shirt and tie are the minimum that I would suggest. You can always skip the main dining room and eat in the Windjammer, but since it is your first cruise I think you should go with the flow! A lot of the best dishes and deserts are served on formal nights.

Relax, you will have a great time. Also, a lot of things that apply to the AOS can also be found in information about the Voyager, Explorer, Mariner, and Navigator, since they are sister ships.

We will be sailing on AOS shortly before you. After many cruises, and rigid airline rules on luggage, we now carry our "little black dresses" and add a dressy, strappy shoe for formal night. We have done the long gowns, but now we are a bit more relaxed with the rules. I've seen people dressed in what they would wear (or wore) in a wedding and to a prom and I feel just as appropriately dressed in my little black dress with some dangly earrings and nice shoes. Some will dress as if they are attending church (dress/suit) and they seem fine too. Don't miss dinner in the dining room on your first cruise.

thanks, I think that I'm a bit heavy for a little black dress. LOL I do have a dress that I've worn for a wedding though. It has almost no sleeves and comes to around the knee I think. Would that be ok?

My wife and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary on the Adventure in Sept/09. This will be our 29th Cruise. We have been on the Explorer and these class ships are very nice. I found a website : http://www.voyager-class.com that has numerous pictures of each Voyager class ship. You can get a good feel for all areas of the ship. Happy anniversary and sailing!

First welcome to Cruise Critic.

You picked a good ship for the first RCCL cruise. As was mentioned above the Voyager Class web site is a great place to check out info on the ships.

If you meet Captain Ron, you should enjoy him, he is a great guy! Good Captain as well!!

Don't feel the need to over-dress there are folks dressed to the max and those taking casual dress to the max in the not what many would call casual direction. Just be comfortable and you should have a good time.

Go to your Meet & Mingle Rollcall thread and meet other cruisers that are going the same week. You didn't say when in July, but here is the link to the Adventure Rollcalls:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256

Find the date for your particular cruise and join in. This will be a great place to find out about what's happening on YOUR cruise.

Hope This Helps.

Ah, my signature didn't show up. Can someone help me fix it?

At the top left of the Cruise Critic Board you should see a tab called "User CP". Click on that and you will see a list of options under "Your Control Panal"

Go down, and click on "edit options" under the "Settings and Options".

Then scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and make sure you have a check mark in "Show Signatures".

Hope This Helps.

I love AOS. Due to luggage restictions now, I bring a nice pair of formal pants and 2 dressy tops for the formal nights, Hubby brings a nice jacket and ties. Capris work great for all other nights. There is a lot of storage space but having my mesh 6 pocket organizer that I hang on the bathroom door is nice because I pack it at home, pop it out of the suitcase and hang it up - done!!!!! I hope this helps, Kaboochi

Hi Toonjie hope you are all well!

Eskiesmom, we are going also to celebrate our 35th anniversary and daughters birthday! Cannot wait! Also checkout Toonjie's links, he will be a great help to you!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions and well wishes. I'm so glad that I've found all on the boards. I was starting to get nervous that I've booked the right ship. I've signed up for the M&M Roll Call as well as the party. I'm still trying to get my signature working, thanks for the tip there but unfortunately it still isn't working. :( Keep the ideas and suggestions coming. I think I'm addicted to these boards already. LOL

Karen aka eskiesmom

WE cruised AOS 4/12/09 and it was our best cruise ever. I brought the shoe organizer but never used it. There is plenty of drawers and cabinet space that we actually did not use. The desk side mirrors are cabinets and in the bathroom there is also a medicine cabinet. I'll try and attach pictures of our room. I could share more pictures if you would like.

DSCN0536.jpg.f25abe11e8b870b3753afbd0820ce53b.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg.287f752583a7f0853398094d91d023fc.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg.ef4e9b47c0a4eeea3d8578afc1e0c4ac.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg.4b29a8cfed00196ea45a4ea038f66ac6.jpg

Just came home from the Adventure on Sunday and wish that I were back there again. Nice ship. Don't overpack. They have laundry service available on board and the prices are not bad. It makes it easier to deal with the airlines and their restrictions.

I have uploaded some photos of the ship in my link below. She comes out of dry dock in a week and will look even better after a sprucing up.:)

Fixed my signature, it must have been a Mac thing, worked using the PC...

I had the same problem a while ago, I don't think it likes Safari, you might want to try Firefox or Camino if you still have problems, but your sig looks fine now.

I had the same problem a while ago, I don't think it likes Safari, you might want to try Firefox or Camino if you still have problems, but your sig looks fine now.

Thanks Toonjie, I had a feeling that's what it was. I love my mac but I do run into problems now and then.

I'm really enjoying your reviews and photos. I've looked at some but it'll take me a while to check them all out. I'll have to show my DH, I bet he can't imagine what the ship looks like. I cruised as a kid about 35 years ago, but I don't count that. Things have changed a lot!! LOL Basically this will be our first cruise and our first cruise together. We can't wait!

Just came home from the Adventure on Sunday and wish that I were back there again. Nice ship. Don't overpack. They have laundry service available on board and the prices are not bad. It makes it easier to deal with the airlines and their restrictions.

I have uploaded some photos of the ship in my link below. She comes out of dry dock in a week and will look even better after a sprucing up.:)

Any word on what will be done to the AOS in dry dock? Do you know if they are getting new TV's or updating the wireless?

Any word on what will be done to the AOS in dry dock? Do you know if they are getting new TV's or updating the wireless?

I was told that they were basically just going to do some cleaning of the ship and minor repairs that were needed. I believe that all of the Grand suites and higher were getting the upgrades of bedding, electronics and new balcony furniture.

Archived