Jeans Unacceptable at MDR for Dinner?

nomo4iz

We're cruising for the first time to Alaska in 2010, with plans for adventuresome side trips at port calls and upon disembarkation. I would imagine that we will be wet and/or muddy fairly often and have to change clothes fairly often, so we plan to bring plenty of outdoor clothing.

I just read the fine print at Celebrity and noticed that jeans are considered unsuitable for everyday dinner attire. Does this mean that I will have to bring separate slacks and shoes JUST for dinner aboard the cruise ship, then lug them around unworn in my suitcase for the remainder of our Alaska adventure? We had already planned on skipping formal night for just this reason, now we have to wear "smart casual" to dinner every night?

I am half tempted to get a glue gun and glue some sequins on my sweat pants as dinner attire, lol. I am tall and finding any type of pants that are long enough is always a challenge. I was really just counting on jeans and outdoorwear.

progress.gif

Jeans are not allowed. Celebrity is know for being one of the more formal cruise lines. The other alternative is to use their alternative dining as a charge of $2 per person per night. They have the same menu each night and not the same food as the MDR.

Room service is also an option and you can get the same menu that is served in the MDR.

If you are concerned about packing weight, there is always the laundry service so you can re-wear items.

We're cruising for the first time to Alaska in 2010, with plans for adventuresome side trips at port calls and upon disembarkation. I would imagine that we will be wet and/or muddy fairly often and have to change clothes fairly often, so we plan to bring plenty of outdoor clothing.

I just read the fine print at Celebrity and noticed that jeans are considered unsuitable for everyday dinner attire. Does this mean that I will have to bring separate slacks and shoes JUST for dinner aboard the cruise ship, then lug them around unworn in my suitcase for the remainder of our Alaska adventure? We had already planned on skipping formal night for just this reason, now we have to wear "smart casual" to dinner every night?

I am half tempted to get a glue gun and glue some sequins on my sweat pants as dinner attire, lol. I am tall and finding any type of pants that are long enough is always a challenge. I was really just counting on jeans and outdoorwear.

progress.gif

Are you planning to launder any of your jeans while onboard? If you are, why not just throw in a pair of washable casual slacks (like Dockers) and treat them as you would your jeans? The old fogeys among us (and I am one of those) truly enjoy dressing nicely for dinner. I don't get seriously "bent out of shape" when someone wears clean, well-pressed jeans with a collared shirt to dinner. But it seems such a shame to go to that elegant dining room on that elegant ship dressed as you would for McDonald's. It's a bit of a downer for the rest of us.

If you're going to glue sequins on your sweat pants, don't forget to add a little lace trim - and maybe a little fancy cording! Ooooooo - how 'bout a row of jeweled buttons down the side seams.:D (Not trying to be ugly, I think it's a very funny thought!)

Just my opinion.

Donia

P.S. Be prepared for the flaming war this question always seem to set off!

I just read the fine print at Celebrity and noticed that jeans are considered unsuitable for everyday dinner attire.progress.gif

As stated above, jeans are not acceptable wear in the MDR. Alternate dining options exist.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how you ended up booking a cruise without knowing the dress policy of the cruise line, since there are cruise lines with approximately the same length cruises and itinerary as Celebrity, but which have a more forgiving attitude toward casual dress? IMHO, the print about the dress code isn't so fine - it's pretty clear what you're getting into if you poke around just a little.

progress.gif

It sounds like you didn't do the research into X that maybe you should have.

No, you should not wear jeans into the dining room. Eat casual upstairs or in your room if you have a problem with the policy. All you would need to pack is a pair of dockers or something like that with a nice top. Wear them everyday...who cares?

Remember too, there is a laundry onboard and if I were you, and you are planning on getting wet/muddy, take fewer outdoor clothes and have them laundered. Very convenient and back in 24 hours. (What were you planning on doing with all the muddy clothes you are expecting?) :confused: Leave one pair of outdoor pants at home and take a decent pair that you save for dinners. Not too difficult to do.

Next time you cruise, read all the info ahead of booking so you don't have any "Surprises" later.;) Clothing policies are not "small print".

Here we go. . .:eek:

Yep! Note my P.S. - they have been warned! LOL:D It's been a couple of years since I cruised so I had forgotten how high the flames can roar on this subject until I saw the OP.

Thx for all of your replies. To answer some of your questions, we are normally independent adventure travelers. We've never considered ourselves cruise types, but DH really wanted to cruise Alaska, so we decided to do it. After we disembark in Seward, we plan another ten days of adventure travel and will have absolutely no need for "smart casual" clothes.

Certain things have always prevented me from wanting to cruise. As I said, I am long and tall and so is my husband. Khakis off the rack do not fit us, we have to buy the more expensive specialty clothes, which are not always easy to find. He has more options than I do. I usually wear skirts and boots, but that is a lot to pack and then have to carry after the cruise. Things that others take for granted, like fitting on the bed or inside a shower cubicle or even inside a rental car are always things that we have to think about. The thought of a cramped cabin just made me dismiss a cruise idea, as did the onboard smoking and the idea that the type of food we eat (vegan) would probably not be available.

I chose Celebrity primarily because they had the most restrictive smoking policy among all cruise lines other than super premium. They don't allow smoking in the cabins or on the verandas, and as far as I could tell, they are the only ones to implement that policy. Their cabins will be large enough for us and I understand that we can request vegan. I guess if I like the restrictive rule about smoking, I will have to like the dinner rule as well. But quite frankly, we are not cruising for the food, we don't eat that much and will probably not visit the MDR often. We are cruising to see Alaska. Thx again for your help.

IMHO, you hit just exactly the right tone with your reply. Maybe it will stave off the flames! On some Celebrity ships, there is a bistro in the same space as the breakfast/lunch buffet - but it's tablecloth and sit down and order style. I think there's nominal charge ($2?), but you might enjoy it more. I seriously doubt that you'll be turned away at the MDR door - especially on an Alaska cruise (though it's certainly possible). What to do all depends on how many dirty looks you can tolerate!

Have fun anyway!

D.

Not even going to get into the jeans debate mess (as a newbie I can understand you not knowing it's a hot button issue, but trust me, it is) but I will try to help with your khaki dilmma, should you want to try the dining room sometime. Do you mind if I ask how tall you are/what your inseam is? I'm 5'10" which is fairly tall for a woman, and my father is 6'5", so fairly tall for a man. Neither of us really has that much trouble finding the correct length of pants. So many companies now are making tall or long options for their pants, and not just the expensive companies. I've found longs at places like old navy that are actually even too long for me, their tall size is a 36" inseam. If you do some searching I really think you will be able to find a long enough pair of non-jean slacks that won't set you back too much :D

Also, a quick hint (no one flame me please, haha), the dress code is usually pretty lax on the first night because not everyone has their luggage. So, if you show up for the MDR because you want to check it out, as long as you look presentable, I don't think there should be a problem.

Thx for all of your replies. To answer some of your questions, we are normally independent adventure travelers. We've never considered ourselves cruise types, but DH really wanted to cruise Alaska, so we decided to do it. After we disembark in Seward, we plan another ten days of adventure travel and will have absolutely no need for "smart casual" clothes.

Certain things have always prevented me from wanting to cruise. As I said, I am long and tall and so is my husband. Khakis off the rack do not fit us, we have to buy the more expensive specialty clothes, which are not always easy to find. He has more options than I do. I usually wear skirts and boots, but that is a lot to pack and then have to carry after the cruise. Things that others take for granted, like fitting on the bed or inside a shower cubicle or even inside a rental car are always things that we have to think about. The thought of a cramped cabin just made me dismiss a cruise idea, as did the onboard smoking and the idea that the type of food we eat (vegan) would probably not be available.

I chose Celebrity primarily because they had the most restrictive smoking policy among all cruise lines other than super premium. They don't allow smoking in the cabins or on the verandas, and as far as I could tell, they are the only ones to implement that policy. Their cabins will be large enough for us and I understand that we can request vegan. I guess if I like the restrictive rule about smoking, I will have to like the dinner rule as well. But quite frankly, we are not cruising for the food, we don't eat that much and will probably not visit the MDR often. We are cruising to see Alaska. Thx again for your help.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. One of the great things about cruising is that it allows you the opportunity to have several vacations at once. In the case of Alaska, great scenery and wildlife viewing by day (and I have to say I don't remember getting muddy when we were there), and then a fun social evening to follow. I usually bring several pairs of lightweight pants and some tops to mix and match--they take up little room in the suitcases--and then I can have a nice dinner hour with my new-found friends.

OTOH you can always eat at the buffet or have room service if you choose. Either way, have a great trip.

Cathy

As somone who recently cancelled her cruise (partially) because of the no jeans policy, I can tell you the policy is not that easy to find. When you go to the dress code page on Celebrity, it just says smart casual. No where on that page does it state "no jeans."

The following are from the FAQ section:

What are the onboard dress codes?

Subject: Dress Code

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

(deleted cruise length info)

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

I also found this in the FAQ:

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

So no, it's not so easy to find and, yes, I did check the FAQ page BEFORE I booked my cruise. It wasn't until I did more digging that I found this in the dining/proper dining attire section:

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

My husband does not own khakis and he never will, they are not his style. He's more of a trendy jeans and button down shirt guy, which is the style for someone his age (30).

You all are certainly patient and kind to a newbie who inadvertently posted what is apparently a hot button question :) Thank you.

It is really not a big deal, I was just making a joke about the sweat pants. I am about to purchase a new suitcase and was thinking that I should make sure it is appropriately sized for our Alaskan cruise. I was therefore wondering how much and what types of clothing to pack.

I understand completely that if you are not tall or do not know anyone who is, these things are just not issues that you probably ever consider. But even ONE extra pair of my husband's size 15 shoes will take up large amounts of suitcase space. And as many tall people can tell you, you don't put your cotton clothing in the dryer, no matter how preshrunk it claims to be. I figured two pairs of nice jeans would get me through the week for dinner, but I will rethink that.

We've been excited about the cruise and are trying to learn the ins and outs of cruising. One thing I seemed to read again and again is that what is posted as a rule is not necessarily so. For example, apparently there is an embarkation time, but most people embark hours earlier. I also read that Alaskan cruises are generally much more casual in dining dress, so I was just trying to find out if that was one of the rules that is bent a little as well.

I think the AquaSpa Cafe will be the most suitable for daytime and probably veggie sushi at night, so I am not really going to worry about the MDR too much. I can certainly understand that when you pay for a dining experience, you are paying for the ambiance, and that is fine. Thx again.

You all are certainly patient and kind to a newbie who inadvertently posted what is apparently a hot button question :) Thank you.

It is really not a big deal, I was just making a joke about the sweat pants. I am about to purchase a new suitcase and was thinking that I should make sure it is appropriately sized for our Alaskan cruise. I was therefore wondering how much and what types of clothing to pack.

I understand completely that if you are not tall or do not know anyone who is, these things are just not issues that you probably ever consider. But even ONE extra pair of my husband's size 15 shoes will take up large amounts of suitcase space. And as many tall people can tell you, you don't put your cotton clothing in the dryer, no matter how preshrunk it claims to be. I figured two pairs of nice jeans would get me through the week for dinner, but I will rethink that.

We've been excited about the cruise and are trying to learn the ins and outs of cruising. One thing I seemed to read again and again is that what is posted as a rule is not necessarily so. For example, apparently there is an embarkation time, but most people embark hours earlier. I also read that Alaskan cruises are generally much more casual in dining dress, so I was just trying to find out if that was one of the rules that is bent a little as well.

I think the AquaSpa Cafe will be the most suitable for daytime and probably veggie sushi at night, so I am not really going to worry about the MDR too much. I can certainly understand that when you pay for a dining experience, you are paying for the ambiance, and that is fine. Thx again.

We've been on two recent Alaskan cruises (not on X) and we never found that people dressed more casually for dinner. On the formal nights, people did by and large 'dress up'. Also, I don't remember once getting muddy and wet. Okay, well maybe a little wet, but we were wearing our rain gear. Don't forget to take a rain jacket-something waterproof and breathable. You don't want to cut your shore excursions short because your cold, wet and miserable. I'm still trying to figure out how you think you're going to get into a bunch of mud? :)

Sorry, no. I don't smuggle booze on board, or hog chairs and I certainly would never wear jeans to the MDR for dinner. As a matter of fact my husband wore a jacket and tie every evening to dinner on our last cruise and a tux on formal night.

I wore a jacket and tie every night also...over jeans...maybe not your style, certainly is mine...see you on Celebrity, soon...Jim

Funny, most of my "jeans" are much more expensive then my khaki-type pants. I was planning on wearing a nice pair at least one night, they look just like khaki slacks except they are a dark, lightweight demin. I would wear a fancy shirt or sweater to go with them, and dressy sandels. Will I get lots of rude stares in the MDR? We are going to be on a 10-day med cruise (coming up in a week), with 3 days in Rome before. I plan on wearing my dressy "jeans" in Rome most of the time. How about dressy capris (not demin!)?

I will tell you that on a recent cruise, a couple of guys came toward the dining room the second night (the first night is more open, since many people don't have their bags yet and can't change from travel clothes). They looked around at the others waiting to enter the MDR, gave their wives a look, and headed back to change. I spoke to one of them the next night as we entered the MDR and he said "I just felt so out of place when I saw how everyone else was dressed."

Funny, most of my "jeans" are much more expensive then my khaki-type pants. I was planning on wearing a nice pair at least one night, they look just like khaki slacks except they are a dark, lightweight demin. I would wear a fancy shirt or sweater to go with them, and dressy sandels. Will I get lots of rude stares in the MDR? We are going to be on a 10-day med cruise (coming up in a week), with 3 days in Rome before. I plan on wearing my dressy "jeans" in Rome most of the time. How about dressy capris (not demin!)?

On my recent Solstice cruises, there were people in the type of jeans you are describing (except for formal night), including my DH. The Celebrity dress code no longer says "no jeans". I of course would not wear the ripped and torn variety, but I know the look you are talking about, and you would be fine. People will get upset about this, and a fight will surely insue, but I am just stating the facts.

nomo

you will enjoy the alaska cruise it is a fabulous part of the USA.

and you have hit on a hot button issue

but you appear to be a reasonable person ready to compromise if necessary.

yes, X folks like to dress and feel like they are in a better than average restaurant where jeans (of all types and prices) are considered unacceptable (i'm sure you have been to a few of them).

eat in the buffet or aquaspa area or bring a pair of decent slacks.

hava great cruise

as i said itsa fabulous part of the USA and do spend lotsa time on shore, the scenery and wildlife sightings are fabulous!!!

you might even see a PALIN

We were just on March 2009 15 days cruise to Hawaii on the Mercury. Yes, people wore jeans in the MDR on smart casual nights, not holey jeans, nice dress jeans! I saw no one roll in the floor, gasp for breathe, or ask them to leave.

The last night of the cruise, most people had on JEANS because they had packed most of their clothing!

Sorry, no. I don't smuggle booze on board, or hog chairs and I certainly would never wear jeans to the MDR for dinner. As a matter of fact my husband wore a jacket and tie every evening to dinner on our last cruise and a tux on formal night.

Good for you; and, I agree.

Archived