Jeans Unacceptable at MDR for Dinner?

nomo4iz

Just for the sake of discussion...suppose you were invited to a "Destination Wedding". You would pay for your accomodations, and any meals other than the wedding itself. And on the invitation it stated "Black Tie". Would you ignore the dresscode request...just because you had to pay for accomodations yourself? Or respect the requested dresscode and dress accordingly? Just curious.

I don't think that is a good analogy. They shouldn't be charging to attend the wedding or the reception afterwards which the dress code would apply to. In the case of the wedding there is a true host who is providing the event and in that case their requested dress code should apply to everyone who attends.

I also agree that I am a paying guest of the cruise line and they are not my host but are indeed a service provider. I don't think that term applies to a cruise line.

I do agree that there are certain types of dress that should not be allowed in a main dining room but on one of Celebrity's pages (the lack of consistency in the descriptions is another problem) it does mention no rips, tears, etc. I don't know of any type of pants that you buy with those already in place other than jeans so that makes me wonder if they are referring to jeans in that statement.

Just for the sake of discussion...suppose you were invited to a "Destination Wedding". You would pay for your accomodations, and any meals other than the wedding itself. And on the invitation it stated "Black Tie". Would you ignore the dresscode request...just because you had to pay for accomodations yourself? Or respect the requested dresscode and dress accordingly? Just curious.

You're confusing two things. I'm invited to a wedding..I'm not invited to a cruise. And I've never, ever said ignore the dress code. My point of this thread is Celebrity needs to make it clearer if jeans aren't allowed in the dining room. Most mainstream lines now allow them. If you search for Dress Code on Celebrity's website, it doesn't mention that they're not allowed, it's only when you keep on searching going through many layers of their website that it even mentions them.

You're confusing two things. I'm invited to a wedding..I'm not invited to a cruise. And I've never, ever said ignore the dress code. My point of this thread is Celebrity needs to make it clearer if jeans aren't allowed in the dining room. Most mainstream lines now allow them. If you search for Dress Code on Celebrity's website, it doesn't mention that they're not allowed, it's only when you keep on searching going through many layers of their website that it even mentions them.

I respectively cry "Uncle". I guess it all boils down to personal preferences. I prefer to follow the dresscode, and not split-hairs over interpretation. I never have to second guess on what's appropriate or not.

...it's only when you keep on searching going through many layers of their website that it even mentions them.

And, that's probably because the web person didn't search as far as some of the customers, and failed to change that one phrase.

Also remember that Cruise Critics make up 0.01% of those sailing on your ship. Not a very good sample! ;)

I know that Cruise Critic posters only constitute a small minority of passengers on Celebrity sailings but there are usually anywhere from 50 to 300 signed up for the Connections meeting: 50/2,000 comes to about 2.5%, that's 250 times more significant than your guesstimate on most sailings.. (that's not counting lurkers).. but who's counting when we can't agree about what "smart" means when it refers to a suggested standard of "dress" to establish a certain ambiance in a dining room.

I still think the whole debate is silly, but I do understand and sympathize with both sides of it.

To me personally, someone in jeans, even if they were ripped and disgusting looking, detracts from my personal dining experience far less than a lot of pax who are appropriately dressed, but are loud and feeling the effects of alcohol a bit too much (I don't mean all people drinking mind you, I am hoping you guys know I mean those who get really rowdy). Who knows though, that may not be a problem for other people...

I still think the whole debate is silly, but I do understand and sympathize with both sides of it.

To me personally, someone in jeans, even if they were ripped and disgusting looking, detracts from my personal dining experience far less than a lot of pax who are appropriately dressed, but are loud and feeling the effects of alcohol a bit too much (I don't mean all people drinking mind you, I am hoping you guys know I mean those who get really rowdy). Who knows though, that may not be a problem for other people...

Are you suggesting that people "who are appropriately dressed, but are loud and feeling the effects of alcohol a bit too much" are more inclined to do so than "someone in jeans, even if they were ripped and disgusting looking"? I never realized that alcohol had a more adverse effect on well dressed people than someone in jeans. :eek:

Are you suggesting that people "who are appropriately dressed, but are loud and feeling the effects of alcohol a bit too much" are more inclined to do so than "someone in jeans, even if they were ripped and disgusting looking"? I never realized that alcohol had a more adverse effect on well dressed people than someone in jeans. :eek:

Wow, how on earth did you arrive there? She said someone wearing jeans is far less offensive to her than someone loud and drunk even if they were following the dress code.

I know that Cruise Critic posters only constitute a small minority of passengers on Celebrity sailings but there are usually anywhere from 50 to 300 signed up for the Connections meeting: 50/2,000 comes to about 2.5%, that's 250 times more significant than your guesstimate on most sailings.. (that's not counting lurkers).. but who's counting when we can't agree about what "smart" means when it refers to a suggested standard of "dress" to establish a certain ambiance in a dining room.

Where do you get the numbers 50 to 300? On Connie cruise just past, 35 people attended the connections "party" (which was tea and biscuits in Michaels Club at 10.30am). On QM2 TA before boarding Connie, 18 Cruise Critics were in attendance. We are in an "extreme" minority and do not represent the majority of cruisers or opinions. Let's be realistic. What you get on these forums is NOT representative of most passengers, but, what the hell, we like it! The point is that cruise lines "suggest" a standard of dress and some enforce it and some do not. On Celebrity you will certainly get away with jeans (on Cunard you will be asked to conform) but most people will go along with the code. If you feel comfortable wearing jeans whilst others have made the effort to dress to the suggested code then fine. Go for it. You are not going to be shot or arrested! Life is too short to stuff a mushroom. :)

That's not at all what I read.

Wow, how on earth did you arrive there? She said someone wearing jeans is far less offensive to her than someone loud and drunk even if they were following the dress code.

Thank you for clarifying :), that is what I had meant and I am sorry if I was unclear. I meant that it is the behavior that bothers me more than what someone is wearing, and it would bother me equally no matter how one is dressed.

The short answer to your question is YES, when you go on a cruise you bring different types of clothing to meet the different requirements of the cruise. That is what cruising is all about. First there is a laundry onboard the ship to "wash your jeans" so you will not have to bring too many of this prized piece of your wardrobe. Amazingly thousands of others cruise to Alaska every year and manage this wardrobe challenge.

You say you are tall - do you wear a longer than a 40" inseam? I have (within 5 minutes) found, on line, docker style pants, which are fine for the dining room, when laundered and worn with a nice shirt, for only $12.95 in various colors up to a 40" inseam. Two pair of those and a few, nice shirts would be all you need for the dining room. I have spoken to a few of my friends that have done Alaska and they have fished, hiked, etc. while in Alaska and they have never gotten muddy, or dirty while exploring. Perhaps you will be surprised and will be able to wear "nice clothes" after all.

Where do you get the numbers 50 to 300? On Connie cruise just past, 35 people attended the connections "party" (

On the Infinity Hawaii cruise in 2004 we had over 250 attending the gathering, and the roll call for Equinox transatlantic was near 300 over 6 months ago. I'm only giving the numbers for the range that I have experienced onboard for the last year. There usually seem to be more people registering than show up at the actual gathering due to various conflicts and the tendency to sleep longer the day after boarding. Cruise Critic boards are monitored by the cruiselines and sometimes they do react to postings here..

I believe that "Cruise Critic" has a much greater impact on the cruise industry than the size of gatherings on board.

The debate about dress codes will go on forever. It is important that both sides express what they would like the policy to be. The cancellation of the semi-formal days was largely in response to people wishing to be more casual and the desire to reduce packing chores. For those people who really don't understand what the new policy is, pick up a cruise brochure from your favorite line and see how the companies dress their "passengers" in the illustrations.

The short answer to your question is YES, when you go on a cruise you bring different types of clothing to meet the different requirements of the cruise. That is what cruising is all about. First there is a laundry onboard the ship to "wash your jeans" so you will not have to bring too many of this prized piece of your wardrobe. Amazingly thousands of others cruise to Alaska every year and manage this wardrobe challenge.

Uh, no.

That may certainly be your OPINION, but it isn't a perspective that is shared by ANY cruisers that I know.

My Host?? The Host I'm paying $7,000 to? They're not my host, they're my service provider.

Call them what you like (I still prefer host and think it fits), but they still place certain responsibilities on their customers and that you paid or to what extent has nothing to do with it.

Phil

If I can make a suggestion, there is a great travel clothing website (travelsmith.com) that offers many options for lightweight clothing. Although I do not share your dilemna (?) of being tall (I'm 4'10", so I have the opposite problem), I'm trying to find ways to cut down on my packing. Travel Smith (you can go to their website and also request a brochure to be mailed to you) has great quality clothing and you can order a pair of black slacks that are wrinkle-free and fold up to practically nothing. Paired with a top, it would be completely appropriate to wear to dinner.

As Chessbriar suggested, you can also do the alternative dining in the evening, but I'm not sure how much of a vegan menu would be offered in that venue.

Good luck and try to have an open mind for your cruise and you might find you actually enjoy cruising!

I also have to buy "tall" sizes and found a great line of clothing at JCPenney.com . The brand is Units and they have several wrinkle free pieces that are mix and match. They are a slinky type material and they are truly wrinkle free. You can roll them up tightly and after a short time on a hanger they are completely straight again.

You and your husband can enjoy the MDR and company of your fellow passengers (who will be a lot kinder to you) than some on this board have been. My boyfriend and I do not like to dress up much either, we love the port calls and are usually the last on the ship and sometimes quite messy when we return.

It really is very simple to take a quick shower and change into your evening outfit. For him, a light pair of khakis and a collored shirt. You are only wearing it a few hours in the evening and can easily wear the same pants again.

We had this debate with our tablemates in the MDR (and new friends). As this board shows, half of them wanted to keep it dressy and one couple even wanted more formal nights. The others wanted it to be casual (shorts allowed) every night. However, in person, you will find that people are much more civilized and no one flamed us for our opinion. We did follow the dress code as it was posted since we felt the need to respect those passengers that wanted it. On the nights we didn't want to dress, we ate in one the alternative dining areas.

Rest assured, once you are on board, you will meet many nice adventurous people like yourself and will have a lovely time.

Have a great cruise,

Nancy

If you want to wear demin go for it. You are on vacation. You paid to be on the vacation. Do you really care what people on here think. I heard the same whining on the HAL board when I sailed the Zuiderdam its inaugural year. I went with my family, and yes "gasp" some people didnt follow the so called dress code, but now years later all I remeber is the great cruise I had with my wife and kids, I can not tell you who wore jeans and who didnt nor do I care. For some reason people get on these boards and get all uppity.....my guess most of them are older, retired, live in southwest Florida and sailing on Celebrity is the closest thing they have to being "High Society".....again, its your vacation....have fun, dont let the cruise critic crowd get you down.....

All of this has nothing to do with what people like or don't like. It certainly has nothing to do with being uppity. The cruiseline requests that the passengers comply with THEIR dresscode. There are those who are considerate enough to follow it and those who are not.

I love to be casual just as much as the next person but when I'm asked to comply with a certain standard I do so gladly. If I don't want to, I'll eat in a casual venue or choose another cruiseline. It's just plain good manners.

Most people on board do follow the dress code and I've never seen anyone rude enough to say something to someone who doesn't.

Just returned from a 5 day Caribbean sailing on the Celebrity Century. While jeans would not be acceptable on formal nights, we saw MANY people who wore them on casual nights. Just make sure they are in good condition (no hole or tears) and wear a nice collared shirt with them.

We also saw many people on Formal night in nice slacks with a collared shirt with or without tie and they were not turned away for dinner. It was really no big deal.

I think passengers should be allowed to enjoy the MDR in comfort as long as they are presentable. I've seen LOTS of women dress " to the nines" on Formal Nights and they look like they stole their sequinned frock from a drag queen. These same people look perfectly fine on the smart casual nights. Just do what feels right for you and enjoy your cruise!

Just to open another can of worms....

What about kids and teens? A sixteen-year-old in decent jeans and a nice shirt looks pretty good (not for formal night); it's really hard to find anything else for teenagers. We had a terrible time finding dresses for our thirteen-year-old for the last cruise that aren't either too low cut or too cutesy.

Diane

There are plenty of excuses to go around and there are probably a lot more people who don't adhere to the dress code on 4 and 5 day cruises but the end result is the same, most will comply and some won't. All the justification is relevant to only yourselves so why not just do as you please and don't worry about it?

Archived