Does the "Cruise Bug" get better/worse as time goes by?

catmand

I just re-read a post about the CC get together on board and one of our sailmates, MISSYLOU, posted just after me. Karen and her husband Paul were sailing with Pauls brother and SIL (I think that's correct) and it was one of several for K & P but the first for the relations. We spent months on the roll call with so many others and when we met on board it was like finding old friends. Now as I read posts from MISSYLOU or from Chris or Jeff or Charlie I am reminded of just how much fun and enjoyable the cruise was.....now to my question:

We took our first cruise last September, our second this past March (last month) we are booked for a 10 day in October and will make some decisions about '05 soon. It seems I am more "cruise crazy" now then I was before the first one. As I have more experience with different lines, different ships, and different places I seem to want to go again and sooner!

My DW AkaWanda manages a dental practice and Dr. D and his DW and kids are heading out on the Mercury in two days...the kids do not want to go 14 & 16 because there is "nothing to do" and Dr.D made a comment that they were getting a little "tired" of cruising. (as my Grandmother might say...I should live so long) I think they have done 4 or 5 in the past 2 years.

Now Cruise Critic may not be the best place to ask this as I think the majority of us have some kind of strange "cruise gene" in our DNA. BUT how do you all feel? The more you sail the more you want to sail? Think you will get "tired" of a cruise vacation? Do you find yourself "missing" people you have cruised with?

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Catmand, If the value stays the way it is, I think the bug could be terminal. Signs of the terminal bug are....Booking another cruise within 2 weeks after you just got back....having 3 cruises booked through Nov. 2005........ Thinking of adding another to that bunch....on and on and on.......................

Hi Caticon_smile.gif...it seems the Bug has BITTEN...Big time. We all live different lifestyles but we all have one thing in common...WE ALL LOVE TO CRUISE icon_biggrin.gif.

I had not cruised for 11 years...1992...And now since May of 2003 I have been on 4. 3 7 nighters and one 3 nighter...(that only counts 1/2)! And in Sept I am going again...you think I have that BUG!...

And I have nothing booked for 2005 YET....I keep thinking I should wait until I am on the Horizon...but I may book again before that sailing....it is never ending Cat...

and YES...I miss my friends from the Mercury very much icon_frown.gif Phil...were are ya?...I never see you anymore!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Hey guys, I'm beginning to think we have started a chat room. Yes Chuck you have the addiction and it will grow and grow. After not cruising for 10 years we started in 2000 and have been on about 10 or 11 cruises since then. And always,always looking for another. We are spending our children's inheritance. And obviously Lois is addicted too. And her posts just get you more pumped up to go again as she describes each wonderful experience so well.

Signs of the addiction are:

1. Jumping back on the CC boards as soon as you get home.

2. Reading of posters going on cruises soon and wishing you were with them.

3. Checking all the cruise websites for the best deal.

4. Wondering can I just fit one more in before the next one since it is 6 months away.

5. Having a strong desire to try many different ships and ports.

6. Having two wardrobes, your everyday wear and your cruise clothes.

7. Going over the budget to see how much you can afford to spend on another cruise.

8. Getting excited over reading others reviews and looking at their pictures.

9. Feeling like you need to have one booked for next year also.

10. Buying a cruise piggy bank.

11. Posting on the boards a lot cause now we think we are experts.

12. Wondering why you don't feel that nice gentle rocking of the ship when you go to bed at night.

13. An overall since of feeling like you must be missing out on a great cruise somewhere.

14. And truly missing that experience of being at sea. Love it.

15. Decorating the home or office with cruise photos.

16. Wanting everyone you know to take a cruise with you. They just don't know what they are missing.

17. Cruising while you are in good health and can afford it.

18. Relizing cruising is the most relaxing vacation you have ever had.

And I think we come to these boards alot because the general population does not cruise so these are about the only folks we can share the experience with. Only 6% of the US population has ever cruised. Can you imagine.

I'm sure many can add more to the list.

Did I answer your question????? icon_biggrin.gif

Karen & Paul

8_3_23.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/124134511FOjEih

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

Summit 09/03, Infinity B2B Hawaii 03/03,Infinity 10/02,

Maasdam 07/02, Sun Princess 03/02,Maasdam 11/01,Statendam 07/01,Dolphin 1990?

Missy Lou,

You said it all!!!!!

My husband was reluctant to try cruising because of his fear of sea sickness. Once he had cruised and didn't get sick, he's addicted. Me, too. I think our kids think we've flipped. They can't believe we enjoy being on a ship so much.

Jan from New Jersey

Wish I time to elaborate but I don't at the moment.

NO, I'll never get tired of cruising. We've been cruising for 14 years now and I look forward to them as much or more than we ever did.

Yes, we definitely miss those we've cruised with and have and will cruise with many again. That's what makes it so worthwhile!

This year will be a record for us -- four cruises before July. I have lost my mind and my dear, sweet husband still puts up with me icon_biggrin.gif

~Host Anne

I have two cruises booked right now one and June and the next one in Feb 2005. I have been cruiseing every 6 months for the last few years and I hope it is not going to stop. I would even like to cruise between the June 2004 and Feb 2005 but have not come up with one as yet.Do you think that I have the bug.

My husband woke me up out of a sound sleep on a Wednesday morning a short while ago. He ask if I could be ready to leave the house by Friday because he found a fantastic deal on a cruise. Yes, I could be ready because I hadn't even unpacked from the last one. I do have a seperate cruise wardrobe and wouldn't even think of wearing anything in it on land. The plus side is that we don't spend money on pictures anylonger because they all look alike. icon_biggrin.gif

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

I usally understake one significant reno on my home each summer...spend $4-7000. This year I've decided the house will be just fine and booked two cruises in the next 12 months instead of one...this bug DOES NOT decrease it simply GETS BETTER!!

Not all bugs are bad you know....

Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

brigittetom - I know what you mean by "cruise wardrobe." Last year, DW and I thought it would be fun to buy matching outfits in Nassau. Cruel and sober realities of dry land have forced us to hide these in the back of our closet until our next cruise. See pic below:

PIC

-Rich

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til I'm back on Galaxy

What a great thread this is. We took our first family cruise in 1998, i think. Four night Carnival Holiday Baja trip. We were hooked. Since then we've been on many, many wonderful journeys. I, especially, am the cruise addict in the family, spending hours looking for the best deals/itineraries, pouring over cruise brochures, etc. We measure the cost of things by saying it's two 'transatlantics' or one 'carribean.'

My husband says it's like the old joke:

A passer-by sees a farm boy in the farmhouse yard acting like a chicken. The Passerby says to the boy's father, "Why don't you get that kid some psychological help?" Says the father, "Hey, it ain't so bad, and besides, we can use the eggs."

Cruise addiction 'ain't so bad' and besides your family gets to go too!!

Gale (and George, too)

We're hopelessly addicted. I consider 'getting better' to be more cruises booked, and 'getting worse' to be less cruises booked. icon_smile.gif

<font size="0">RCI Nordic Empress 01/92

RCI Sovereign Of the Seas 01/96

RCI Majesty of the Seas 05/97

Carnival Inspiration 01/98

Celebrity Century 04/99

RCI Splendour of the Seas 03/00

RCI Grandeur of the Seas 09/00

Celebrity Millennium 01/01

Carnival Spirit 10/01

RCI Monarch of the Seas 06/02

Celebrity Summit 01/03

Carnival Victory 10/03</font>

<marquee direction=left width=33%> Time left until Galaxy - April 26th, 2004 </marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;4;26;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee direction=left width=33%> Time left until Jewel Of The Seas - November 14th, 2004 </marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee direction=left width=33%> Time left until Empress of the Seas - January 17th, 2005 </marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;17;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruising with marti:

cat, 10 cruises in 3 years, yup its a gene thing.

Phil<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 cruises in 2 years. It's a MONEY thing! (drat it!)

Oops... I'm having some problems linking the picture. Take a look at the last 3 pictures on the page that has pics of our last Galaxy cruise. Everyone should buy these outfits....just so we don't stand out too much the next time we wear them. icon_biggrin.gif

Galaxy pics

-Rich

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til I'm back on Galaxy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich&Natalia:

Oops... I'm having some problems linking the picture. Take a look at the last 3 pictures on the page that has pics of our last Galaxy cruise. Everyone should buy these outfits....just so we don't stand out too much the next time we wear them. icon_biggrin.gif

http://earth.prohosting.com/richnat/

-Rich

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til I'm back on Galaxy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I like the outfits. Not for formal night, obviously, but they are nice for casual nights!

Rich & Natalie I too like your outfits. We have matching Hawaiian print outfits. All cruisers will understand your attire. the heck with the rest of them

Karen & Paul

8_3_23.gif

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

Rich&Natalie. Looks like you will be on the cruise just before ours. If you will wear those outfits when you get off the ship we'll wave to you as we get on.

Karen & Paul

8_3_23.gif

Galaxy B2B 10/04

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

nealberk - formal night? heavens no. not without a bowtie anyway.

missylou - thanks. i don't know if we'll be wearing it when we debark. DW couldn't handle wearing it on our way home.

lois - thanks a bunch. liked your pictures too. goodness.... three cruise in 1 year? it almost seems like you're on a ship more often than you're on land. icon_biggrin.gif

-Rich

'til I'm back on Galaxy

Quoted by Rich....

"goodness.... three cruise in 1 year? it almost seems like you're on a ship more often than you're on land."

------------------------------------------

Oh Rich.....Only in my wildest dreams

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Glad we're not the only ones addicted to cruising. We thought we were being really bad booking our summer 2005 cruise two weeks ago! We haven't even taken this year's cruise yet! But You know how it is. And we wanted to be sure we got the cabin of our choice! Is that great justificaton for booking early or what? icon_rolleyes.gif

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary

Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)

Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)

Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Archived