tips for pre Alaskan cruise Anchorage

janines

We are considering booking an Aaskan cruise on Celebrity Millenium leaving Anchorage July 3 at 9 pm. We need to arrive the day before in order to make the ship's departure time. How far is the Anchorage airport from the ship's dock? What are some suggestions for us to see that day prior to sail.

We arrive in Vancouver on July 10. Can you recommend a post 2 day trip?

Thanks,

janines

We are considering booking an Aaskan cruise on Celebrity Millenium leaving Anchorage July 3 at 9 pm. We need to arrive the day before in order to make the ship's departure time. How far is the Anchorage airport from the ship's dock? What are some suggestions for us to see that day prior to sail.

We arrive in Vancouver on July 10. Can you recommend a post 2 day trip?

Thanks,

janines

The train ride (if you choose that route) is just over 4 hours long. (highly recommend)

The train leaves Anchorage @ 645 am and arives in Anchorage @ 1105 am.

Although your ship will not sail until 9 pm, know that you will be able to board the ship for lunch !!

The Millennium is a fine ship.

You will enjoy her !

I guess we need to stay in Anchorage for 1 night. I was told the ship's dock is 1 1/2 hrs away from the airport. We plan to use miles and arrive at the Anchorage airport around 7 pm.

So, what you are saying, is the train leaves Anchorage at 6:45 am and arrives in Seward, near the ship's dock at 11:05 am. We can board the ship at that time.

Can you recommend a place to stay the night prior to the train ride? What was the cost for the ride?

You might consider moving some post-cruise days to pre-cruise as you are already in Alaska, if that meets with your schedule. Seward has a wealth of activities all very doable in a two day itinerary, and if you have more time, Denali awaits.

I am on the cruise you are considering, so if you do decide to book, be sure to join the roll call. Here is my itinerary, including links to the tour operators.

Can you recommend a place to stay the night prior to the train ride? What was the cost for the ride?

See the link posted above for train pricing. The best place to stay the prior night is the Ship Creek Comfort Inn, but it is booked that night. Many downtown hotels will shuttle to the train station, but check before you book.

I guess we need to stay in Anchorage for 1 night. I was told the ship's dock is 1 1/2 hrs away from the airport. We plan to use miles and arrive at the Anchorage airport around 7 pm.

So, what you are saying, is the train leaves Anchorage at 6:45 am and arrives in Seward, near the ship's dock at 11:05 am. We can board the ship at that time.

It is a little further than 1.5 hours, from the Anchorage Airport to Seward.

As another mentioned above, for this itinerary.... I would recommend doing several days pre cruise ! (instead of post cruise)

The train arrives right near where the ship docks. You can walk.

On Celebrity (not sure about other cruiselines)... you do not have to haul your luggage from the train to the ship. They tag it for you at the train station in Anchorage, and you see it again in your cabin onboard the ship ! Way cool, right?

Yes, you can board the ship as soon as the train arrives.

There may be a small wait, but only a small one.

The documents will tell you to start boarding later in the afternoon, but trust me, you can board right off of the train. We have done that itinerary twice. The ship is prepared to receive passengers @ lunch time.

We have stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook, in Anchorage. It is a very nice hotel in downtown Anchorage.

In Seward, we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast. Kim's Forest is the name of it.

I have some reviews somewhere. I will find them and give you the links.

For clairfication- it is 3 hours via road and 4++ hours via rail, Anchorage/Seward.

I NEVER recommend the above with the "lunch" on the ship. There is SO much to see and do in Seward, you may want to take advantage at being there.

I recommend you take the Alaska RR mentioned above, booking YOURSELF.

Then plan your activies of interest. A TOP pick is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, excellent for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing. FAR superior to anything seen from your cruiseship.

http://www.seward.com

Adding to what Budget Queen recommended above, since your ship doesn't sail until 9 pm, you have perfect timing to do one of the Kenai Fjords National Park day boat trips out of Seward. If you stay in Anchorage your first night, then you can take the morning train to Seward and go out on the 11:30 a.m. 6-hour Kenai Fjords trip; they will store your luggage and then shuttle you to your ship for boarding. (Just make sure you don't opt for the shorter Resurrection Bay trip.) There's no point to boarding for lunch and basically wasting that day of potential sightseeing when you've got one of the top scenic draws in Alaska right there. (If you decide against the boat trip, you could use some of the afternoon to visit the SeaLife Center in Seward and/or take a short shuttle to Exit Glacier.)

-- Eric

Some people are unable (physically or otherwise) to go all day long.

They need to know that the option is there, if they want to board the ship @ lunchtime.

The cruise documents tell them they need to wait until much later in the afternoon to board.

Some people are unable (physically or otherwise) to go all day long.

They need to know that the option is there' date=' if they want to board the ship @ lunchtime.[/quote']

Well said.

The train is a great ride I understand, and actually competitively priced against bus transfers. Train takes longer as it stops in 2 towns on the way. check the prices as others have said...there are 2~ Classic or Gold (The special viewing car on top,) or just the one's with regular windows (about double for Gold) Realize there are things to do in Seward, the Kenai boat trip was great, but LONG think the Seavey's IdidaRide kennels sounds like a great tour. Some have stated the Sealife center somewhat overpriced for what you get.

Archived