5002 Oosterdam/ Good, bad or Ugly?

Never done a guantee before but thought I would take the gamble this time.We leave in 2 days for a Med cruise and this is what we were assigned today.I would appreciate any advice from anyone one who has stayed in this cabin. my prorities are space, balcony and bathtub.

my prorities are space, balcony and bathtub.

Well, 2 out of 3 is not bad;)

You have your space and balcony but because this is a handycap room I would think the bathtub is out. But I haven't been in this cabin myself so hopefully someone can confirm this.

Have a great cruise!

John

Our friends had 5001 and we spent some time in there visiting.

It is much wider(handicapped) than the SY cabins. There is one window that looks out over deck five forward. They got some incredible photos from their balcony. The balcony appeared much smaller than a regular sy cabin but still good size.sorry didn't go in their bathroom. Normally on SY you would have both a tub with shower and also a separate shower. I think their shower was a walk in one.I also noticed that the couch was not the really big one that you get in SY or SS but seemed there was more desk and dresser space.

this was in March of this year.

We had 5001 on the Noordam. [DH is in a wheelchair and we always book HC cabins.]

I would guess it's the same as 5001/5002 on the Oosterdam.

There is a tub - but not a whirlpool tub, just a standard one.

The shower is directly across from the toilet -- it's a "roll in" type for people in wheelchairs.

On the Noordam the shower curtain, when drawn, comes between the shower and the toilet.

But in an SY on the Zuiderdam, such was not the case -- so when you drew the shower curtain, the toilet area was inside the curtain.

I am not sure if they changed the shower curtain track on the earlier Vistas or just the Noordam.

There is just a single sink, not a double sink as in standard SYs.

The balcony we had in 5001 was about the same size as a VA balcony.

There was no table/chairs area where you could sit and enjoy a meal.

Instead, there were two chairs and a little table to set your drinks.

I was very disappointed in this and will not book 5001/5002 again. I think they ought to be designated VA cabins.

The "extra" floor space in this cabin is when you enter - almost a foyer-like area. On one side is the bathroom door - on the other, the closets.

To us, it was wasted space. DH would have preferred extra space between the door to the balcony and the bed, as the door was ramped, and maneuvering around the ramp to get to the bed was a challenge.

Just wanted to be truthful about the cabin ... so you know what to expect.

If you booked an SY for the bigger balcony, you will be disappointed. If you want the whirlpool aspects of the tub, ditto.

I am very confused. Information is conflicting re bathtub.

The cruise line web site doesn't mention a tub, but posters do??

I also see the couch smaller, and where are the occasional tub chairs that other SY's have.

I'm having trouble seeing how it has a smaller balcony, one sink not two, small couch, no chairs, no tub or no whirlpool tub, bow of ship can be classified in the same cat as an SY.

I read in one post that this strange window is being blocked in??

Very strange two cabins indeedy.

I would expect that if a non-handicapped pax got these two rooms, that the ship would replace the missing furniture etc and move the furniture around to be less handicapped? Did I see an Arjo lift on the wall? And one picture showed a lip of a ramp. Yikes, an easy spot for an ambulatory person to twist an ankle in rough weather esp.

It's a shame there aren't more pics of cabins dedicated to one site only, so everyone could have a good peek.

Thank you OceanWench for posting the descrip. No, I think the poster didn't book this room but got assigned it thru a gaurantee booking. I agree about the cat being reduced which would also include the price.

I am very confused. Information is conflicting re bathtub.

The cruise line web site doesn't mention a tub, but posters do??

I used the tub to shower in, as I did not like the roll-in shower by the toilet.

There definitely is a tub. No jets!

I also see the couch smaller, and where are the occasional tub chairs that other SY's have.

I'm having trouble seeing how it has a smaller balcony, one sink not two, small couch, no chairs, no tub or no whirlpool tub, bow of ship can be classified in the same cat as an SY.

My thoughts exactly!!! I thought about sending a complaint to HAL, but never did.

We also had an OV HC cabin on the Volendam -- with a staircase in front of the window!!! It was not considered an obstructed view room.

I read in one post that this strange window is being blocked in??

The window looks out on the public deck that is forward of this cabin.

Ours was not blocked in.

Very strange two cabins indeedy.

I would expect that if a non-handicapped pax got these two rooms, that the ship would replace the missing furniture etc and move the furniture around to be less handicapped?

I don't know that they make changes in a HC room for the able-bodied. I would doubt it. There really isn't room for more furniture with the way it's configured.

We were actually assigned this cabin recently and were very disappointed. We contacted our TA who was able to call HAL and get us a different cabin assigned. We were very happy with that. I really didn't know that could be done but apparently they had not finished assigning all the guarantees yet.

We were actually assigned this cabin recently and were very disappointed. We contacted our TA who was able to call HAL and get us a different cabin assigned. We were very happy with that. I really didn't know that could be done but apparently they had not finished assigning all the guarantees yet.

I loved this room.

Lots of closet space, couch is a loveseat not a sofa, lots of room, big desk area. Just watch your step going to the verandah as it's a ramp for those in wheelchairs. Balcony is the size of a standard balcony room (VH-VA) but you can walk out the front and you have a huge outdoor space that few people know about.

Bathroom:

We had 5002.

Walk in and there's a tub/shower combination on the left, single sink vanity on the right. Towels are just past the sink on the right.

Straight ahead is the toilet and the shower and fold out shower stool. (Note: If you use this, remove the toilet paper before you shower :))

Both showers have their own curtain, so depending on who you're traveling with, you can both, in theory, shower at the same time. Just coordinate the exit if you aren't an item :)

(PS, I mentioned that was 5002. I would imagine 5001 is mirror image)

Never done a guantee before but thought I would take the gamble this time.We leave in 2 days for a Med cruise and this is what we were assigned today.I would appreciate any advice from anyone one who has stayed in this cabin. my prorities are space, balcony and bathtub.

Well, I think it is a wonderful assignment! :) If you haven't already seen it on another recent thread, I am posting a link to photos of this cabin.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...5002001.jpg?o=

~~~~ Well may the force be with you ~~~

Fridge - balcony - tub - Closets- sounds good. I wonder if you could have a little tete' d'tete' out on that deserted deck?? With that shower for deux, this might be an interesting cruise..............

I know the perfect party.... table for 6, chairs for 6, and chilled bubbly awaiting on that deck.... it's birthday celebration time!!!!

Archived