Optimal/ Latest time to check-in at Red Hook

mirp

I am on the May 8 crossing on QM2. As I am traveling with an 80 year old and a 2 year old I do not want to be standing on line for a long time to check in. Also since we just booked we don't have Cunard documents or luggage tags.

Advice on the best time to arrive would be great. We will not need to eat so having lunch is not a big concern.

I am on the May 8 crossing on QM2. As I am traveling with an 80 year old and a 2 year old I do not want to be standing on line for a long time to check in. Also since we just booked we don't have Cunard documents or luggage tags.

Advice on the best time to arrive would be great. We will not need to eat so having lunch is not a big concern.

They normally start boarding around 12Noon for Deck 9 & 10, Suite Passengers.

But living close by, we normally arrive around 11:30 and complete checkin around 11:50 and wait in one of the Waiting Lounges in the terminal. They normally open the doors alittle past Noon to board the ship.

I am not sure when you anticipate arriving at the terminal with your party, but I think you will have not problem.

There are two sets of checkin decks: Grill & Platinum Levels and the regular other passenger levels.

I think you should advise one of the Cunard Staff in their Red Jackets on your arrival at the doors of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal of yours situation accompaning a Senior & Child Passengers and see what they can do for you.

Also, don't worry about lunchtime. Once you are onboard the ship there is an on-going lunch on Deck 7 - Promenade Deck in the 4 Part Kings Court Restaurant for all embarking the ship till about 3:30PM. Then they will slowly close down the Kings Court to use the area as part of the upcoming Boat Drill gathering station.

If you happen to be assigned to a Grill Cabin, they are also serving lunch in either the Princess or Queen Grill restaurants.

Enjoy your cruise. You will love the QM2!

Thanks BklynBoy8. I am Brooklyn born and raised and very excited about going to Red Hook to get on the QM2. I expect to have a fabulous time but just want to avoid the crowds.

On the other end of the spectrum how late could we arrive to board?

We are regular passengers not Grills.

Thanks BklynBoy8. I am Brooklyn born and raised and very excited about going to Red Hook to get on the QM2. I expect to have a fabulous time but just want to avoid the crowds.

On the other end of the spectrum how late could we arrive to board?

We are regular passengers not Grills.

Dear mirp,

Once you are from Brooklyn, you are always a Brooklynite.

You will see Redhood to be different from when you may have seen it the late time. Where do you hail from now?

You will be boarding on a workday so the streets and area will be busy with traffic especially around the Bklyn Battery Tunnel and the local highways. This is a very active Pier - Industrial area during the daytime. Please leave enough time to spare.

I would not want to be too late. I would want to be at the pier no later than 3:30PM since you are leaving at 5PM that day.

Being regular class passengers, you will be going thru regular checkin and later in the day should not be that bad of crowds. I never experienced that so I can't advise you.

We have been having bad weather today thru to possibly Friday - Saturday. Please beaware of weather concerns also on your traveling day too, to leave room for time.

We have a very good friend coming off that day that traveled the Mary Back to Back (Transatlantic) and hope we hear some good news and stories. I know she will deliver the QM2 safe and sound on Friday back to Brooklyn for your trip.

Enjoy!

having our 1st voyage...been living in brooklyn for about 9 years now. excited to depart from here! thanks for the helpful info!

redblackstar,

I take it you will be leaving Brooklyn on Cunard.

You will like the experience of the Brooklyn Terminal since we have many times experienced a very good and quick check-in and boarding.

Yes, is it out of the way from the main stream of activity in Brooklyn, but I think that helps the situation.

Also, the greatest thrill that I get each time we leave from there or also go down and bum around when the Mary is in to see her up close when entering the Pier's gate. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing her peek over some of the roofs of the buildings while approaching the pier is one thing but to be that up close is something else.

Take a ride down ther and see what I mean, if you can't wait for the cruise.

Ideally, you should be onboard two hours prior to departure.

What you can do is have whoever you booked with request wheelchair assist at embarkation and debarkation.

Thanks for the advice regarding the wheelchair. However, thankfully the 80 year old I am traveling with is quite fit and heathly and would be mortified to sit in a wheelchair.

Thanks for the advice regarding the wheelchair. However, thankfully the 80 year old I am traveling with is quite fit and heathly and would be mortified to sit in a wheelchair.

Reminds me of a story about my granny. She was ailing a bit from a heart condition. She could get around OK, but we were on a visit to The Mount (Edith Wharton's estate in the Berkshires) and were going to tour around the gardens so we got Granny settled into a wheelchair. We reached the house and it was clearly not going to be accessible so up from the wheelchair she came. "It's a miracle!" I cried out! She turned and said to me "Grandson, you are a bad boy." I did spy a wry smile on her lips and a wee twinkle in her eye.

Dear mirp,

I too have a Senior (dad) 91yr and is still cruising.

My mother has concerns about any future cruises after this one but we have heard this before. She would like to take cruises in the future with dad but I think it is also her age (84) and the packing and prep work it takes. But once it's done, car service to the pier and vacation time starts! So I think it just just temporary anxiety to pass but age is there.

Yes, will it happen someday and will he (or she) want to accept a wheelchair, to be continued......

My dad has his problems with hearing, seeing and walking due to his back, but he is still active, limited, but still active and would like to cruise till whenever.

Good cruisin to your Senior.............

we live in princeton nj, very nice just to drive right up to the dock. one time we arrived around, maybe... 12:30 and it took and hour and a half from the time we entered the terminal to boarding. then our first time we were on in 30 min.

we live in princeton nj, very nice just to drive right up to the dock. one time we arrived around, maybe... 12:30 and it took and hour and a half from the time we entered the terminal to boarding. then our first time we were on in 30 min.

Dear pumpkin,

WOW, never heard of that long in the Brooklyn Terminal to board the ship.

Maybe the ship could have been late coming in that morning and not turned around that fast or sometimes the terminal computers are slow but rarely.

But, U did get on the Mary and that's important!

Is there anywhere around the terminal that you can walk to to buy provisions (wine, chocky etc) if you arrive at the terminal and the queue looks awfully long?

From the entrance of the secure area to the terminal is about three quarters of a mile, there will be candy stores etc within half a mile of the gates so you must decide if you want the two and a half mile walk!

I got this e-mail a couple of weeks ago from Vacations To Go (the company we booked our cruise through):

"Cruise passengers departing from US ports are now required to check in at least 90 minutes prior to their ship's scheduled departure time and anyone arriving later will likely be denied boarding. That's because cruise lines must submit the passenger manifest to the Department of Homeland Security for review at least 60 minutes prior to departure.

If you are driving or taking a taxi to your departure port, plan for rush hour, accidents or other situations that may snarl traffic on the way to the pier.

To be on the safe side, plan to arrive at the cruise pier no later than two full hours prior to the ship's scheduled departure time."

Is there anywhere around the terminal that you can walk to to buy provisions (wine, chocky etc) if you arrive at the terminal and the queue looks awfully long?

Dear safarigal,

There is a street close to the terminal/pier entrance called Van Brunt Street. It does have some local stores for simple needs you would use in a normal household. Does not at all contain UPSCALE ITEMS.

These stores also contain restaurants of a fast food type for those local industrial buildings that use them for early breakfasts and lunches crowds.

Yes, there are some gates not to near but not too far from the terminal building you would beable to exit out of if you wish to venture along that street.

But personally knowing and living in Brooklyn and knowing of that area, I would not do so if I was in a secured location about to take a cruise on the QM2 and from out of town.

If you have time and wish to investigate some nicer areas abit away from the Pier, then I would suggest either or both Smith Street or Court Street. From Hamilton Avenue to Atlantic Avenue. It is abit of a drive to take before heading to the Pier Entrance/Terminal Building.

These streets are contained in a very well and long standing established area of Downtown Brooklyn. Court Street - Italian Based Food & Wine Stores and Restaurants. Smith Street - Up and Coming Yuppie Area of Storefronts, Bistros and Food Markets.

I think this is your best bet if you have the time.

Dear safarigal,

There is a street close to the terminal/pier entrance called Van Brunt Street. It does have some local stores for simple needs you would use in a normal household. Does not at all contain UPSCALE ITEMS.

These stores also contain restaurants of a fast food type for those local industrial buildings that use them for early breakfasts and lunches crowds.

Yes, there are some gates not to near but not too far from the terminal building you would beable to exit out of if you wish to venture along that street.

But personally knowing and living in Brooklyn and knowing of that area, I would not do so if I was in a secured location about to take a cruise on the QM2 and from out of town.

If you have time and wish to investigate some nicer areas abit away from the Pier, then I would suggest either or both Smith Street or Court Street. From Hamilton Avenue to Atlantic Avenue. It is abit of a drive to take before heading to the Pier Entrance/Terminal Building.

These streets are contained in a very well and long standing established area of Downtown Brooklyn. Court Street - Italian Based Food & Wine Stores and Restaurants. Smith Street - Up and Coming Yuppie Area of Storefronts, Bistros and Food Markets.

I think this is your best bet if you have the time.

Red hook is totally safe to walk around. the crew does it all the time. http://www.fairwaymarket.com Brooklyn location is about a 3/4 of a mile a way from the walk in entrance at Pioneer Street- just walk to your right down Conover Street and you can't miss it. Its a great place to have a cup of coffee in the cafe in the back that is outside right on the harbor. I have posted a photo essay about this area many times and it is perfectly safe.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGoj

You really need to get out more fairway is about as upscale as they come.

Take a ride and have a cup of coffee....its great and a hidden pleasure of NY....

LeNells is temporarily closed

http://lenells.com/

You really need to get out more fairway is about as upscale as they come.

Take a ride and have a cup of coffee....its great and a hidden pleasure of NY....

Dear smeyer,

That is what Cruise Critics is about, individual personal opinions posted.

Growing up and living in Brooklyn for close to 60 years, yes this boro is a wonder place.

But I do differ with the closeness of Fairway to the terminal itself for someone wanting to walk it on a cruise embarkation day.

Your invitation to Fairway is too late. I have been there many times and enjoyed all that is offers and all that the area around it offers.

But this is as a resident of Brooklyn shopping and not one departing on a cruiseship nearby.

I will review your photoshow as a point of interest.

Wow! Thanks to all of you for your advice on shopping in and around the Brooklyn Pier. We always have way too much luggage, so its good to know if you can shop for Cokes, wine, and other necessities before you head off into the ocean blue. Not that there will be any shortage of food and drink on board!

Thanks again

Lesley

Archived