Star 4/25 Review..."The Glass Half Full"

Firemaker

We had a great time on this cruise to Alaska and as our title says, we choose to look at things in a positive way and we are thankful for all we have! So we will tell you about our experience on this Repositioning cruise.....

Embarkation: Since we were sailing out of our home port in San Pedro, we rented a car from Enterprise in our home town and dropped it off at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. They had a free shuttle to the port. We arrived for check in at 11 am and since we were in a penthouse suite (AE 8170) we walked right up to an empty line and had no problems checking in. We met our concierge, Belkeys and our Butler, Dilip and off we went to our suite. We were in our room at 11:35 and Dilip showed us how to work the coffee machine and explained how the suite perks worked. We ordered 4 DVD's to watch as we had 3 upcomming sea days. We then headed to Cagney's for a nice lunch! We attended the Muster Drill and at 4pm we were on our wrap around deck enjoying the sail away!

Cabin: Our AFT cabin was large and tucked away on the 8th floor. It was very quiet. We had a wrap around deck that was a bit small, but we used it everyday and even put the dining chairs in the small space to enjoy the views! The queen bed was comfortable and our stewards were the best!

Spa: We had used the spa facilities on the Star in 2006 and found it to be a great place to rest and unwind, so we went and signed up for a couples pass ($140.00, it was free on 2006:)) right away. We used the lap pool, jaccuzzi, hydro-therapy pool, and sauna every day...sometimes twice a day! The first few days it was very quiet with only a few other people enjoying the wonderful AFT view, but as the cruise went on, more joined the spa experience. At times it was a bit loud, but we found a quiet spot to close our eyes and enjoy!

Food: We had our first dinner at Le Bistro and it was wonderful. It was quiet and the service was as excellent as the food. We had breakfast delivered by the Butler the first two days and then enjoyed Cagneys for breakfast and lunch each day after. What a wonderful perk for suite guests! It was always good and we had wonderful and pleasant servers!

We ate a Versilles for Lobster night and although there was a long line we were taken right in because our concierge made reservations for us! The food was just OK and it was very loud. Not our favorite place to eat, but we tried it again and it was just OK. We ate at dinner Cagney's twice...sooooo good....Le Bistro twice.....our favorite....Endless Summer once...our least favorite. All in all we felt the cover charge for these restaurants was well worth the money for the food and atmosphere. We stayed away from the buffet, as there were three large groups on the ship and could see it was very crowded.

Entertainment: We tried a few shows, the crew show was the best, played 10 minute mystery, went to the VIP Captain's party where we met some nice crew members, went to the Latitudes party, and tried "learn the Cha-Cha":D, but it was too crowded. We spent alot of time in our cabin enjoying the DVD's and the VIEW!

Meet and Greet: We met in Le Bistro (hat's off to Lori!)where we put names to faces and screen names:p There were quite a few of us there, as well as some ship officers. We had a fun time and agreed to meet the next day for a cabin crawl. Lori planned out the cabin crawl to start with an inside cabin and end with the Garden Villa. It was fun cramming into the elevators and crowding into all of the rooms! Rachel's Garden Villa was 5000 sq. ft and we all posed for a photo! (We missed Jeff and Betty, as the elevator was overfull and they didn't have a key card to get to the 14th floor:(. We heard Rachel gave them a private tour though:D)

Juneau: We rented a car from rent-a wreck and they picked us up at the dock. Great, friendly ladies! The weather was beautiful as we drove to the end of the road. We saw whales and visited Mendenhall Glacier. We had a quick stop at Wal-mart:D and even ate at McDonalds! We turned the car in and were shuttled back to the dock where we did some shopping. We were supposed to be back on the ship at 2:30, but the lines were long, so we sat and enjoyed the beautiful Alaska scenery and were back on the ship by 3.

Ketchikan: We had a quite breakfast in Cagney's then got off the ship and picked up a walking tour brochure at the visitors center. It took us about 3 hours to do the downtown walking tour. It was lots of fun! We went back to the ship and had lunch at Cagney's then got off again to do some shopping. We were supposed to be back on board at 5:30, but we returned by 2 and went to the spa! Wonderful whether again!

Debarkation: We ate breakfast at Cagney's at 6:45 am and we were off the ship bt 8:15am. We had VIP debarkation and just walked through customs in Vancouver. We met another couple who shared a cab ride to the airport with us and we were through aiport customs with in 10 minutes! We flew home to LAX, grabbed a rental car and we were home by 5pm.

So, as you can see, we had a great cruise to Alaska. Even though we did not have alot of port calls, we enjoyed the "Suite Life" with the many perks offered.

Yes, it was a crowded ship with large groups, but we took the stairs most of the time, stayed away from the buffet, found some "out of the way" restrooms, and quiet spots on the ship. This was our 3rd NCL cruise and we look forward to another one in a few years!

Thank you for your review - Only a few weeks left and I will be able to enjoy the Star. We too are planning to take advantage of the spa pass. Thanks for the info you passed on...

Great review, Firemaker! Thanks for sharing. Any chance you'll be posting pictures that you can share with us?

What did you think of the concierge, Belkys? Did you use her services very much? Was she helpful? Did you go to the chocoholic buffet?

Also, did the Captain attend your Meet & Greet? Who was the Captain? Who was the Cruise Director?

We'll be in an AB in less than 4 weeks now and are getting very excited!

Thanks again!:)

Great review, Firemaker! Thanks for sharing. Any chance you'll be posting pictures that you can share with us?

What did you think of the concierge, Belkys? Did you use her services very much? Was she helpful? Did you go to the chocoholic buffet?

Also, did the Captain attend your Meet & Greet? Who was the Captain? Who was the Cruise Director?

Belkey's was very nice...she had only been working 3 weeks when we sailed. We only used her for making restaurant reservations and she was always greeting us at Cagney's. Very cheerful:)

We didn't go to the chocoholic buffet, but the Bulter brought a plate of chocolate covered strawberries one afternoon and a plate of assorted chocolates another afternoon! (see pics below)

We got a chance to view the AB on our cabin crawl and the bathroom is beautiful!!

70852370_IMG_0432(Small).jpg.6e95759deb639c5c3df24fc62cf53a17.jpg

1706237985_IMG_0558(Small).jpg.6d1b626ef33186d76b3874658c916a54.jpg

Wow, Sandy, you beat me to it!! All the questions I was about to ask!!

Belkey's was very nice...she had only been working 3 weeks when we sailed. We only used her for making restaurant reservations and she was always greeting us at Cagney's. Very cheerful:)

We didn't go to the chocoholic buffet, but the Bulter brought a plate of chocolate covered strawberries one afternoon and a plate of assorted chocolates another afternoon! (see pics below)

We got a chance to view the AB on our cabin crawl and the bathroom is beautiful!!

We had Simone as our concierge last year on the Star and she was amazing!! I was hoping Belkys would be as good...anxious to see! Simone does not return to the Star until the week after our sailing. :(

Add us to the Simone fan club.. 8-)

Op..what a wonderful review to read. Thanks for posting it. Glad you had a great time on the Star. She is our favorite ship so far.

We had so much fun on this cruise because of some of the answers you gave us when we posted questions about the Star.

We did get a free bottle of water and we, in fact, did get packaged slippers in our cabin:D

The robes were fluffy and our room stewards replaced them everyday!

We are now official AFT lovers and hope to book an AE again!

We had so much fun on this cruise because of some of the answers you gave us when we posted questions about the Star.

We did get a free bottle of water and we, in fact, did get packaged slippers in our cabin:D

The robes were fluffy and our room stewards replaced them everyday!

We are now official AFT lovers and hope to book an AE again!

Ha Ha! Welcome to the AE AFT lovers club!!

CAN'T WAIT!!

Firemaker, has the Star switched over to Pepsi products yet?

Yes...in fact there were Pepsi mechanics on board our cruise changing out all of the machines in the bars. They said they just got off a cruise in Hawaii...what a fun job!

We did have a pepsi from the spinnaker lounge bar when we went to the Latitudes party (we don't drink alcohol) and it seemed pretty watered down...maybe they didn't have the kinks out yet?!

I'm curious Firemaker - what did you order in Le Bistro? I had the mussels, then chicken with foie gras and my husband had foie gras then duck cassoulet and neither of us thought that much of our meals, except the hazelnut napoleon for dessert which was yummy. I heard some others complaining to the waiter that their salmon was too salty as well.

I'm curious Firemaker - what did you order in Le Bistro? I had the mussels, then chicken with foie gras and my husband had foie gras then duck cassoulet and neither of us thought that much of our meals, except the hazelnut napoleon for dessert which was yummy. I heard some others complaining to the waiter that their salmon was too salty as well.

*Both times I ordered the French Onion soup...yummy

*The filet/medium...it was 3 inches thick and cooked perfectly. The first time I had the peppercorn sauce and the second time I ordered it on the side.

*The escargot were very tender and good.

*DH had the cream of mushroom soup and thought it was wonderful.

*He ordered the rack of lamb with the sauce on the side and ate every bite, so the next time he ordered a DOUBLE rack with mint jelly and also ate every bite!

*Of course, the vanilla creme brulee was my all time favorite so the first time I ate one there and they wrapped 2 more for us to take to our room for later:D

*DH had Crape Suzette and said it was ok. The second time he ordered the brulee and chocolate fondue for two. Very good choice:)

We did hear someone at another table send back their lobster, but we had no complaints.

How was the wind on the balcony on sea days? We're on the Star for our Panama Canal cruise and will be one deck up with the wrap around balcony from where you were. We're hoping being AFT that the wind will be much less on sea days. We have 6 sea days on our 14 day trip and really hope to spend a lot of time watching the wake.:D

great review, Was Janna still on board entertaining? She is a guitarist/singer.

I am booked in that same suite for Sept. and wonder if you could tell me, first was the suite done in the gold brocade walls that are in the online pictures or is it Purple walls now? second, I will be traveling with a scooter or power chair and I know it is not an accessible cabin, but can you tell me how wide the OPEN door was, also how wide is the hall leading to that door and what is at the end of that side hall? would I have turning radius to make it into the cabin if the scooter will fit the door?

is there a ulitity closet at the end of that hall or is it crew stairs or what?

Do you have any pictures of the cabin?

Thanks

*Both times I ordered the French Onion soup...yummy

*The filet/medium...it was 3 inches thick and cooked perfectly. The first time I had the peppercorn sauce and the second time I ordered it on the side.

*The escargot were very tender and good.

*DH had the cream of mushroom soup and thought it was wonderful.

*He ordered the rack of lamb with the sauce on the side and ate every bite, so the next time he ordered a DOUBLE rack with mint jelly and also ate every bite!

*Of course, the vanilla creme brulee was my all time favorite so the first time I ate one there and they wrapped 2 more for us to take to our room for later:D

*DH had Crape Suzette and said it was ok. The second time he ordered the brulee and chocolate fondue for two. Very good choice:)

We did hear someone at another table send back their lobster, but we had no complaints.

We were going to Cagney's the next night so were trying to stay away from red meat - our fatal mistake I guess! Unfortunately the poor food (in our opinions), among other things, has turned us against considering future NCL cruises (you may have seen my reply in the thread that seems to have now been deleted).

Thanks for the info though, I'm glad you enjoyed your meals!

Firemaker - Thanks for a great review! I loved reading about the ports. Reminded me of our Alaska cruises. We are sailing on the Star out of San Pedro this fall. Can you give more info on how hectic the San Pedro pier is? We are traveling with 2 young children & one elderly person with mobility issues. We've sailed from Galveston (super laid-back, easy to navigate in and out of) and from NYC (YIKES!) among other places. Any comparisons you could make or info you could give would be appreciated!

Firemaker - Thanks for a great review! I loved reading about the ports. Reminded me of our Alaska cruises. We are sailing on the Star out of San Pedro this fall. Can you give more info on how hectic the San Pedro pier is? We are traveling with 2 young children & one elderly person with mobility issues. We've sailed from Galveston (super laid-back, easy to navigate in and out of) and from NYC (YIKES!) among other places. Any comparisons you could make or info you could give would be appreciated!

I can give you info on the San Pedro situation regarding mobility issues, First off does she have her own WC? if not request WC assistance IN ADVANCE through special services dept or your TA. when you get there you will need to give over your luggage to the workers in one area of the parking lot and drop your party, [if you have a car that is] and wait for the person parking to return. you will need to make your way to the terminal door where they are actually entering, it can be a bit confusing, and be sure you are going to the section for the correct ship. Once you see an NCL person, ask immediately about WC assistance tell them you requested it. once they have the chair you will be directed to the line for the HC passengers. this line moves quickly once they start checking people in. You will then be boarded immediately behind the Suite guests.

IF she has her own chair you can still request assistance and they will assign someone to push the chair for you. If she has a chair and especially if she has or if you choose to rent her a scooter for onboard use, then you MUST have an HC cabin to accomodate it.

If you have any other questions, please post in the disabilty board on here. All of us there will be happy to help.

How was the wind on the balcony on sea days? We're on the Star for our Panama Canal cruise and will be one deck up with the wrap around balcony from where you were. We're hoping being AFT that the wind will be much less on sea days. We have 6 sea days on our 14 day trip and really hope to spend a lot of time watching the wake.:D

On sea days the wind was minimal until you went on the wrap around section. We used the balcony alot and we even sunbathed in ALASKA! It is a bit small, but trade off is no wind and the wonderful smells you get from the bakery:D See my attachments for pics of the wake...so soothing!

715587141_IMG_0435(Small).jpg.4fd27058960eedd4b9b5cb7f03504078.jpg

1739721489_IMG_0419(Small).jpg.0b17a3855d35e975e6e7116833282def.jpg

great review, Was Janna still on board entertaining? She is a guitarist/singer.

I am booked in that same suite for Sept. and wonder if you could tell me, first was the suite done in the gold brocade walls that are in the online pictures or is it Purple walls now? second, I will be traveling with a scooter or power chair and I know it is not an accessible cabin, but can you tell me how wide the OPEN door was, also how wide is the hall leading to that door and what is at the end of that side hall? would I have turning radius to make it into the cabin if the scooter will fit the door?

is there a ulitity closet at the end of that hall or is it crew stairs or what?

Do you have any pictures of the cabin?

Thanks

The cabin was gold tones. I forgot to measure the door opening..Sorry.

The halls are a bit narrow and the door at the end of the hall is a crew stairway door. See my attachments for photos.

1477553615_IMG_0392(Small).jpg.4ff9b2ba5c7c94912863f025955d497e.jpg

134533762_IMG_0513(Small).jpg.19fafd1b8ddfbb0dd9a3c747e088d3eb.jpg

1989351865_IMG_0559(Small).jpg.686396621e577687a062286e5884179f.jpg

268666898_IMG_0370(Small).jpg.84a174900cc868aa157a1eef58a939ce.jpg

1455430391_IMG_0515(Small).jpg.8e13fd7af9384758652272ac4aa980e4.jpg

On sea days the wind was minimal until you went on the wrap around section. We used the balcony alot and we even sunbathed in ALASKA! It is a bit small, but trade off is no wind and the wonderful smells you get from the bakery:D See my attachments for pics of the wake...so soothing!

Great...That's exactly what I needed to know. We also have an AFT AE on our 21 day Greek Isle and TA. And we were hoping to be able to hang out on the balcony on the Atlantic crossing. Hopefully we won't have any bad weather the 1st half of November. :p

The cabin was gold tones. I forgot to measure the door opening..Sorry.

The halls are a bit narrow and the door at the end of the hall is a crew stairway door. See my attachments for photos.

Thanks I am glad to hear it is still the same decoration I think it is much prettier then the purple. Did you only have two dining chairs shown in your pictures? in the other pictures it shows four chairs.

Hopefully I can still find someone to measure the door opeoing when open. and the width of that hall. I can do a complete radius turn around in 35" on my scooter and less on the power chair but they are both 26" wide.

Who was your bulter and How was he?

Archived