Our T/A on the Vision - with stops for Mamajuana, Nude Snorkeling and Mama Chang

The title made me hesitate. Just wasn't sure I wanted to go there - but I needed to know more about Mama Chang. I'm so glad I opened up your post, that was the most entertaining review ever!

You good sir, are a very funny man. Thanks for your insight. I suggest you give up your day job and just write travel reviews, or better yet get the travel channel to feature you in a weekly program.

• 1 year later...

This has to be the most unique start to a cruise review I have ever read. I wasn't sure whether I was reading a review or a swashbuckling novel..LOL.

By the way, we have eaten at the Meson de la Cava and it is everything you said it was.

Off to read your other reviews now.

Sailor Jack has been a hero of mine for years, since I read the now legendary Norwegian Dream review in the period between booking and taking my first cruise.

It was a scary time. Let's be honest, we were spending a lot of money to do something I had previously assumed was the preserve of the wealthy. Living on the North West coast of Ireland means the concept of 'no-fly' cruising is pretty much meaningless, so the credit card takes another beating there.

During that time, I'd read some reviews here, and even more so on some UK sites, where nothing was right. Too many foreigners, food too bland, no wrap around teak promenade, too many kids, crowded lifts, chair hogs, the list of complaints was endless, and oh so many reviews ended with the line "and I'm never cruising with them again!"

I was really psyched about cruising, really looking forward to this new adventure, and was determined to persevere. Then, I read the Dream (or nightmare) review.

I giggled, laughed, guffawed, laughed again, spat coffee all over myself, giggled again and then fell off my seat. It was brilliantly written, but more importantly, it was a vindication of cruising, and proof positive that this was what I wanted to do. The more the tale unfolded, the more the manure hit the fan, the more I wanted to be there.

Here was a man in a potentially disasterous situation, watching his dream cruise crumbling before his eyes, but instead of harrassing the captain(s) and demanding OBC and cruise credits, he was casting his unique eye over the situation and making some of the best tasting lemonade ever!

The review finished with a line that I've seen often on CC over the years "The worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work". I remember watching the coverage of the Carnival Splendour fire and breakdown last year, and wondering how Jack would have written that one! One thing I do know, it would have been funny, and Jack would have pulled something positive out of it and finished the review "Well, we were cold, hungry and wet BUT......". Too many people use but as a word of negativity, Jack's the opposite.

His reviews on CC should, as many have pointed out, be required reading. Not only because they're funny, but because Jack epitomises what I want my fellow cruisers to be. He loves what he does, and his infectious spirit makes us love it and appreciate it more.

This has to be the most unique start to a cruise review I have ever read. I wasn't sure whether I was reading a review or a swashbuckling novel..LOL.

By the way, we have eaten at the Meson de la Cava and it is everything you said it was.

Off to read your other reviews now.

After researching the cruise, the pirate history of Hispanola was too good to pass up. I think this was my only review to start out like that and I have to admit - it was kind of fun.:D

l'm still wiping my eyes and catching my breath...thank you for providing the fodder for tonight's dreams! I'll be your wench any day!

LOL!:D Glad you enjoyed it.

What a great review, I didn't want it to end, I was literally laughing out loud. I was worried about someone thinking i had lost my mind...

Thanks for the kind words. Jill says I lost my mind years ago.:D

I'll add my thanks for a most entertaining and enlightening review!

Well done!

As one Canadian to another - thanks!:)

Well, I'm joining in on the "Sailor Jack Fan Club". Fabulous and entertaining writing!

Will you have pictures too?

Sadly, no pictures for this cruise.

Sailor Jack has been a hero of mine for years, since I read the now legendary Norwegian Dream review in the period between booking and taking my first cruise.

It was a scary time. Let's be honest, we were spending a lot of money to do something I had previously assumed was the preserve of the wealthy. Living on the North West coast of Ireland means the concept of 'no-fly' cruising is pretty much meaningless, so the credit card takes another beating there.

During that time, I'd read some reviews here, and even more so on some UK sites, where nothing was right. Too many foreigners, food too bland, no wrap around teak promenade, too many kids, crowded lifts, chair hogs, the list of complaints was endless, and oh so many reviews ended with the line "and I'm never cruising with them again!"

I was really psyched about cruising, really looking forward to this new adventure, and was determined to persevere. Then, I read the Dream (or nightmare) review.

I giggled, laughed, guffawed, laughed again, spat coffee all over myself, giggled again and then fell off my seat. It was brilliantly written, but more importantly, it was a vindication of cruising, and proof positive that this was what I wanted to do. The more the tale unfolded, the more the manure hit the fan, the more I wanted to be there.

Here was a man in a potentially disasterous situation, watching his dream cruise crumbling before his eyes, but instead of harrassing the captain(s) and demanding OBC and cruise credits, he was casting his unique eye over the situation and making some of the best tasting lemonade ever!

The review finished with a line that I've seen often on CC over the years "The worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work". I remember watching the coverage of the Carnival Splendour fire and breakdown last year, and wondering how Jack would have written that one! One thing I do know, it would have been funny, and Jack would have pulled something positive out of it and finished the review "Well, we were cold, hungry and wet BUT......". Too many people use but as a word of negativity, Jack's the opposite.

His reviews on CC should, as many have pointed out, be required reading. Not only because they're funny, but because Jack epitomises what I want my fellow cruisers to be. He loves what he does, and his infectious spirit makes us love it and appreciate it more.

What a wonderful post! Thank you.

You've outdone yourself ... Subdivision of the Seas! I'll laugh the rest of my life ... OMG. MK

Well, it does seem that the ships just keep getting bigger and bigger!:D

I totally agree. Thank you for expressing this far better than I could have :) And also a big thank you to Sailor Jack! We all need more laughter in our lives, and you have provided that for many people! Bless you! :)

I totally agree. Thank you for expressing this far better than I could have :) And also a big thank you to Sailor Jack! We all need more laughter in our lives, and you have provided that for many people! Bless you! :)

Glad you enjoy the reviews - thanks for the kind words.:)

• 4 months later...
Sailor Jack, the Dream/Nightmare doesn't pull up. Please please please would you repost it?

I don't want to repost it, but I pulled it up on the NCL board. You should be able to access it there. Let me know if you still have problems.

Jack

• 1 year later...

We just got back from Santo Domingo and based on your description in your review we just had to eat at El Meson de la Cava. It was everything you said it was...I even pictured the pirates! Thank you for the recommendation.

PS I didn't order the old goat!:D

We just got back from Santo Domingo and based on your description in your review we just had to eat at El Meson de la Cava. It was everything you said it was...I even pictured the pirates! Thank you for the recommendation.

PS I didn't order the old goat!:D

This brings back some memories! What a great restaurant. Besides the club we went to after dinner, the dinner we had was one of the highlights of our visit to Santo Domingo. For anyone planning on being in Santo Domingo, here are a couple of photos. It really is set in a limestone cave far underneath the city. Not only was the atmosphere romantic, but the food was great!

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Another classic must read from Sailor Jack. Bravo my friend. I may have to read it to my students so they will know what real "engrish" writing is.

Thanks! I had to go back and reread the review to see if I had misspelt "English.":)

Edited by SailorJack