All things "Victory"

richbum

does the victory offer that deal where they pick up your bags on the last night and take them to the airport? am i correct in understanding that you never see your bags again until you get to your final destination? ( atlanta, in my case ).

They do have the luggage express. You have to get your bags in the terminal then take them outside to the truck...you don't see them again until you get to your final destination. It's well worth it.

They do have the luggage express. You have to get your bags in the terminal then take them outside to the truck...you don't see them again until you get to your final destination. It's well worth it.

thanks. i'll pay to skip baggage check anyday. i've got a 10am return flight and i'm sweating that i wont make it.

Edited by WishIwasOutThereNOW

thanks. i'll pay to skip baggage check anyday. i've got a 10am return flight and i'm sweating that i wont make it.

We had a 11:50AM flight and we were at the airport by 8:30. Make sure you let the pursors desk know you have an early flight and you'll be one of the first off the ship.

If your flight is at 10:00 you will NOT be able to do express luggage. Your flight has to be between 2:00 (at the earliest) to midnight to qualify for the express luggage. They have to wait for all the people to get off the ship and claim their luggage and get it on the truck before they take it so there is no way your luggage would make it on your flight. I think the first people were off the ship at about 8:15 then you get your luggage and go thru customs and then you can get a cab to the airport. If everything is perfect you might be OK, but if anything goes wrong well you could miss your flight. Be sure to let the staff know you have a VERY early departure so you can be one of the first off the ship. You also have to get your bags scanned by USDA when you get to the airport and they put a sticker on your bags. Do this as soon as you get inside the airport, then go check your bag and get your boarding passes and head to security. There was a very long line when we were there. We arrived between 11:00 and 12:00 and we probably waited 30 minutes to get to security. Our flight out was full to the brim, so if you miss your flight you could have a problem getting a later one. Our flight left at 2:15. Our airline made several changes to our flight before we ever left home, if your does the same then I would call them and see if they would change you flight to a later time without a fee. 10:00 makes me very nervous. Not trying to scare you, just being truthful.

thanks for your reply.....do you have any idea how much bigger the extended aft is than a regular balcony??

They are the same standard length as a regular balcony but are twice as deep. For someone that's tall (like me) it's great having the extra room. Also the extended 8435 and 8430 are about 50% wider than the standard balcony size. It makes for a VERY nice balcony with plenty of room. If memory serves me right those 2 rooms are triples on triumph and victory. Both are larger than a standard 8g errr 8j.

If your flight is at 10:00 you will NOT be able to do express luggage. Your flight has to be between 2:00 (at the earliest) to midnight to qualify for the express luggage.

Did you mean noon? or 2pm? We did luggage express out of San Juan and it was noon to 11pm, perhaps some luggage was not "making the cut" so they moved it to 2pm? Just wondering as it has been over a year since we sailed from San Juan. Thanks for any details.

And poster is correct -if disembarkig in "foreign" port not US 48 staets, must claim, go thru customs and then hand off at designated mini airport counter. Then go to airport. To me an invaluable service not having to carry bags, do USDA and checkin. AND yes, San Juan is slow at security etc. so 10am I agree is cutting it close.

Can anyone list which dock (if there are more then one in any of the ports of call) is used by Carnival. I am trying to book some inexpensive possibly walking tours type of thing but I am running into trouble without knowing which dock to start the excursions on. Thanks!

I was there last Sunday and the paperwork said you must qualify with a flight between 2:00 and midnite. I remember because our flight was 2:15.

AW, was hoping to do luggage express. We have 12:15 flight at the moment (airliens tend to move flight times by July,so never know).

But I have done San Juan both ways and lived. Just plan on early departure then. Thanks for update from a recent cruiser.

When docked in San Juan, were you near the Sharaton hotel?

Also, do you recall in ports what side of ship faced dock? Thanks.

The Sheraton was right across the street. We stayed there pre cruise, an easy walk with your luggage. We had an even numbered cabin and we were on the side of the ports in St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados (not much to see from your balcony, warehouses), and St. Lucia, the last two Antigua and St. Kitts were on the other side.

The Sheraton was right across the street. We stayed there pre cruise, an easy walk with your luggage. We had an even numbered cabin and we were on the side of the ports in St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados (not much to see from your balcony, warehouses), and St. Lucia, the last two Antigua and St. Kitts were on the other side.

Thanks for info- We are even numbered also. We stayed at Sheraton once, and recall check in a real zoo. How was check in for you? Our flight does not arrive until 3:30pm. I have a person traveling with heart condition- do you think pulling a suitcase across from Sheraton would be strenusous? We can help but still have carryons for him to manage.

At moment we have reservations at a Marriott 15min from Old San Juan and can take a taxi to pier from there.

We went on Victory in February and had MDR server Riti (sp?). We are traveling the itinerary in February again, and had information from Riti that he would be in Canada during the summer and returning this fall to Victory. Has anyone recently traveled and know Riti or if he is on the ship.

Sorry if this has no relevance to you. This is the only place I am sure that I can post this question...carry on...

Thanks for info- We are even numbered also. We stayed at Sheraton once, and recall check in a real zoo. How was check in for you? Our flight does not arrive until 3:30pm. I have a person traveling with heart condition- do you think pulling a suitcase across from Sheraton would be strenusous? We can help but still have carryons for him to manage.

At moment we have reservations at a Marriott 15min from Old San Juan and can take a taxi to pier from there.

Walk over to the porters at the Carnival port and have them come over to the Sheraton and walk your luggage over for you. We do that all the time. Just tip them a little more

Walk over to the porters at the Carnival port and have them come over to the Sheraton and walk your luggage over for you. We do that all the time. Just tip them a little more

Great idea- now I just need to weigh out finance of comparing two hotels.

Thanks for idea. Even if use taxi may go get a porter and tip more.

I am sorry I don't know the MD name in the Atlantic or Pacific dining room. I am sure he said, but sometimes it is hard to understand. We did not even know our waiters name.

It is not too far from the Sheraton, but if you have a good rate just stay where you are and have them drop you off right in front of the terminal. The Sheraton was OK, we were after location, location, location otherwise we might have stayed somewhere else. I don't know how old you are, but you can get a good AARP discount at the Sheraton.

Our check in was a breeze. We used Express checkout you get a receipt under your door and if everything is right just drop your room key in the box and all done.

Edited by Kygirl1965

Hi all! I am trying to decide on my flight to San Juan and back for my march 2010 cruise. I am using Amex rewards on one of their designated airlines so it limits to me to 2 airlines really..Jet Blue or Delta.

I basically am boiled down to two choices of itineraries. I either leave on Wednesday night and then arrive in SJ on Thursday mid day..so I would need a hotel Thurs, Fri and Saturday night. I was already planning to come in Friday so this would mean one extra hotel night on the front end. I would then leave at 12:15pm on disembarkation day.

My other option on the other flight is leave Thursday night, arrive friday mid day as planned before so 2 hotel nights before the cruise. BUT now I would have to leave Monday at 7am AFTER the cruise so one hotel night on the back end.

So either way I am looking at one extra hotel night..not that big of a deal. I would be alone on either side because my sister and her kids will not arrive until Saturday and they will leave promptly on Sunday at the end. Not a big deal either.

I am just worried about getting off the ship and getting through the throngs of other departing cruisers at the airport.

My DH did a southern cruise on Princess this past April but our flight left the next day so we stayed on teh ship until the bitter end and didn't have to rush to the airport. We got a hotel and hung out.

So..if I can get a super early disembarkation, like 8amish..would I be safe with a 12:15 flight if I get right in a taxi and head to the airport..get thru USDA inspection and check in?

I am preferring the option of coming early and leaving the same day as disembarkation but I don't want the chance of missing a flight as there are not many options for flights if I miss this one.

Any opinions would help for anyone who has actually gone through the same scenario!!

thank you!

Patty, we just got off the Victory on Sunday morning and my best suggestion for getting off the ship early would be to do the Luggage Express Service where Carnival checks you in to your flight, takes your payment for your baggage and then, after you take your bags through customs, you put your luggage on a truck and they take it to the airport for you. The next time you see your luggage is when you get to your home airport. This was absolutely the best disembarkation I've ever experienced. We met in the theater at 8am and were off the ship and ready for a taxi by 8:15am. There were no problems with anything and we were the 3rd group off the ship. Make sure you turn your forms in as soon as you get them on the ship though because the longer you wait, the more likely you will be in one of the later groups. Have a wonderful time!

Patty, we just got off the Victory on Sunday morning and my best suggestion for getting off the ship early would be to do the Luggage Express Service where Carnival checks you in to your flight, takes your payment for your baggage and then, after you take your bags through customs, you put your luggage on a truck and they take it to the airport for you. The next time you see your luggage is when you get to your home airport. This was absolutely the best disembarkation I've ever experienced. We met in the theater at 8am and were off the ship and ready for a taxi by 8:15am. There were no problems with anything and we were the 3rd group off the ship. Make sure you turn your forms in as soon as you get them on the ship though because the longer you wait, the more likely you will be in one of the later groups. Have a wonderful time!

Thank you for the quick reply. Can you give me an idea of how much luggage express costs? And you say Carnoval checks you in to your flight? WHile you are still on the ship? How does that work?

But then it sounds like you still have to pick your bags up once off the ship..wait in line for customs..then drop them off. By then..you are ready for a taxi anyway to take your bags with you. Is it that much extra hassle to go to the airport with your bags and wait in line for USDA then check in? Unfortunately my husband and I did that at 2am at the SJU so there was absolutely no line so it took us 10 minutes if that to go through USDA AND check in! Oh..add on the 5 minutes where we had to unpack one bag and lighten our load as it was over 2lbs!! Uggh!

Would be curious as to cost as my sister and the kids may want to do this..she will have more stuff to worry about with kids. I will be alone.

Thanks again. I think I am going with the Jet Blue itinerary and arrive a few days ahead and leave that Sunday. I don't think I want to hang around after..just want to get home. Always wierd getting off the ship and hanging around after!

I'm not sure if Jet Blue is one of the airlines that they have partnered with to do this, but I'm sure if you searched the Carnival website, you could find it. We flew on Delta and the charge for Luggage Express was $20/person plus the charge for the bag fees from the airline (in our case, $15/bag), so in total, for 2 people, we paid $70 and we went to the theater on Sunday morning with just our carryons, picked up our luggage before we went through customs, walked right through customs with our bags, handed them off to the BAGS representative and got in a cab for the airport. It makes the cab ride less expensive, you don't have to lug stuff with you to the airport and you can go straight to the security line at the airport without having to do any of the USDA inspections that others have to do while waiting in line.

Guest Services prints your luggage tags and boarding passes (you have to give them your confirmation number from the airline and flight information) and they delilver it to you the last night of the cruise before you set out your luggage. You'll get a special luggage tag for your bags and get to get off the ship right after the people going on excursions and the platinum cruisers. It was a great deal and we will absolutely do it again every time it is offered. The San Juan airport definitely turns into a zoo on Sunday afternoons with people from three different large cruise ships docking that day of the week. I was very glad that we got to the airport as early as we did!

I'm not sure if Jet Blue is one of the airlines that they have partnered with to do this, but I'm sure if you searched the Carnival website, you could find it. We flew on Delta and the charge for Luggage Express was $20/person plus the charge for the bag fees from the airline (in our case, $15/bag), so in total, for 2 people, we paid $70 and we went to the theater on Sunday morning with just our carryons, picked up our luggage before we went through customs, walked right through customs with our bags, handed them off to the BAGS representative and got in a cab for the airport. It makes the cab ride less expensive, you don't have to lug stuff with you to the airport and you can go straight to the security line at the airport without having to do any of the USDA inspections that others have to do while waiting in line.

Guest Services prints your luggage tags and boarding passes (you have to give them your confirmation number from the airline and flight information) and they delilver it to you the last night of the cruise before you set out your luggage. You'll get a special luggage tag for your bags and get to get off the ship right after the people going on excursions and the platinum cruisers. It was a great deal and we will absolutely do it again every time it is offered. The San Juan airport definitely turns into a zoo on Sunday afternoons with people from three different large cruise ships docking that day of the week. I was very glad that we got to the airport as early as we did!

Wow..that sounds like a great price. I was thinking it was going to be more expensive..like $50..but with just me..$20 plus bag fees you pay anyway..hmmm..

Of course after I posted this I realized I have a possible business obligation that may prevent me from leaving on the 24th...which now throws of my Jet Blue itinerary and means if I go with delta..I have to leave on monday afterall! Uggh! Still deciding if I can skip this business trip or not that day so I can leave early rather than stay a day later.

But thanks for your help. I will have to look intgo the luggage express situation!

maygoddess,

We were on the Victory 10/18- 10/25, and flew home on JetBlue. We used the Luggage Express, and it was great. We had 2 checked bags each, and the cost was $20 each for my husband and myself, and the baggage fees (free for first bag, and $30 for the second bag) for a grand total of $100. It was money well spent. We were in the first Luggage Express group to be called, which was the second group to be called off the ship after the VIPs. We were picking up our luggage by 8:30, and arrived at San Juan airport and went thru the USDA inspection for our carryon bag by 9:15. So we had plenty of time before our flight. It was the easiest disembarkation we've ever experienced.

Karen

maygoddess,

We were on the Victory 10/18- 10/25, and flew home on JetBlue. We used the Luggage Express, and it was great. We had 2 checked bags each, and the cost was $20 each for my husband and myself, and the baggage fees (free for first bag, and $30 for the second bag) for a grand total of $100. It was money well spent. We were in the first Luggage Express group to be called, which was the second group to be called off the ship after the VIPs. We were picking up our luggage by 8:30, and arrived at San Juan airport and went thru the USDA inspection for our carryon bag by 9:15. So we had plenty of time before our flight. It was the easiest disembarkation we've ever experienced.

Karen

Fabulous! I Just booked Jet Blue. Decided to go for the higher amex rewards point usage so I could fly in only one day early and leave on Sunday.

So can you tell me HOW and WHEN do we arrange for the Luggage Express? As soon as we embark should we do it? Can we arrange it pre-cruise?

I am so glad to have the flight wrapped up. I also just booked Sheraton OSJ for the 2 nights pre-cruise. Got a great price on Hotwire...glad to be right across from the dock this time.

Fabulous! I Just booked Jet Blue. Decided to go for the higher amex rewards point usage so I could fly in only one day early and leave on Sunday.

So can you tell me HOW and WHEN do we arrange for the Luggage Express? As soon as we embark should we do it? Can we arrange it pre-cruise?

I am so glad to have the flight wrapped up. I also just booked Sheraton OSJ for the 2 nights pre-cruise. Got a great price on Hotwire...glad to be right across from the dock this time.[/quote

We didn't even know about Luggage Express until a couple of days into the cruise. We got paperwork about it in one of our Capers. You have until Thursday at 7pm to get down to Guest Services to give them your completed form and flight info. We received our boarding passes and new luggage tag (airport style) on Friday. For Luggage Express passengers, they are given "letter" groups for disembarkatioin (AAAA through EEEE) and we got AAAA, maybe since we had a 12:20 flight out. These letter groups supercede any number group tags you may have been given close to the end of the cruise. The paperwork you get with your boarding passes and tags explains everything clearly.

Hope this helps......let me know if you have any more questions.

Karen