Marriage License needed?

TFriday

Your marriage license explains how your birth certificate name became your drivers license name ---- half the people say you need it, half say they never needed it. Next time, get a passport and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I'd carry it with me, although on the one cruise I took before I got my passport, I was not asked to show it.

I brought it to use when I had my drivers license changed but the other docs hadn't been changed yet. When I got a new passport I still carried the marriage license until all of my travel docs changed--it took a while for the airline to change my name so they issued a few tickets in my old name for a few months. I needed to show the marraige license half the time I flew with my new name.

My sister does not have a Passport and has used her birth certificate and drivers license twice with no problem. She carried her marraige license but never needed it. The cruise line didn't ask for it and immegration and customs didn't ask for it. They said that as long as the first name and date of birth match, thas't enough. So it's up to you.

My daughter needed her marriage license on a cruise shortly after she got married. Her passport was in her maiden name, and needed the license as proof of ID. That's the only time I think it's necessary.

Just off the Diamond and I have a passport but mom has birth certificate. Marriage license not needed. Jus BC and DL. Wonder if they will soon also require divorce papers or maybe signed approval by ex that it's ok for you to cruise.:D :D

I always bring a copy as I kept my maiden name but daughter has hubby's last name. Never had to use it on a cruise although my husband did threaten to get for hospital after our daughter was born and they wouldn't give him any info on us.

forget what the "rules" are, and use some common sense.

If your ID says Susie Jones and your Birth Cert says Susie Smith, how in the world would anyone even beging to think the two are connected.

As said by others, MANY MANY people will say they did not need it. That only proves that have the people checking IDs do not look at anything, they just check off in the system that you had the mentioned form. Does not have to be yours, etc.

Reminds me of a recent story about a guy that showed is boarding pass and an Israeli Driver Lic, which was totally in Hebrew. He was waived though even though the person reading it never looked at it.

Watch the airport security next time and tell me what percent of the agents even LOOK at the person's picture and compares to the person flying.

What a joke.

I you have a passport under your old last name then definetly take it. If you are going the Birth Certificate route, then you probably won't need it. If you worry about the least little bit thing going wrong, take it.

Archived