Princess Wilderness Lodges and Excursions

ncbeachteacher

I know we can book excursions at the Wilderness Lodges (Denali, Kenai, Copper River, etc) but has anyone used local outfitters while on a cruise tour? If so, what do you recommend? For example, we would like to take a catch and release 1/2 day fishing trip at Cooper Landing. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I know we can book excursions at the Wilderness Lodges (Denali, Kenai, Copper River, etc) but has anyone used local outfitters while on a cruise tour? If so, what do you recommend? For example, we would like to take a catch and release 1/2 day fishing trip at Cooper Landing. Any recommendations? Thanks!

We DON'T recommend the rafting trip at McKinley- we booked a "whitewater" rafting trip before we left; on the train to McKinley we were given our room info and a note that our original excursion was cancelled and we were rebooked on a different rafting trip. When we got there, we asked the excursion desk about the difference, we were told the one we booked hadn't been offered all season, and they were essentially the same, but the new one was a bit cheaper. We got a voucher for credit at the lodges and took the new trip. Wasn't all that exciting- just sat in a raft and floated down the river for a few hours; scenery was nice, just not what we had expected.

Just my two cents worth...

dogdoc2002

My husband used these guides and had a great time on the Upper Kenai. They are located about 2 miles from the Kenai Princess Lodge.

http://www.alaskawildland.com/day-fishing-and-rafting-trips.htm

Were you staying at the Kenai Princess???

I ask because one of my husband's friends is a guide in Cooper Landing. He and other guides were essentially told they could not pick up any guests at the Kenai Princess last year. And it is a LOOOOONG walk to the main road that is NOT Princess property.

He canceled every guest staying at the Kenai Princess last year and it cost him a lot of money. Princess only wants guides on their property that are willing to kick back fees to Princessland; ie NO independent bookings

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get a good answer to your questions? I'm staying at the Cooper Rive Wilderness Lodge. I'm wondering if there are only Princess tours, which are very expensive, or if there is something else.

Please help is you can

TKS

Jan

Did you ever get a good answer to your questions? I'm staying at the Cooper Rive Wilderness Lodge. I'm wondering if there are only Princess tours, which are very expensive, or if there is something else.

Please help is you can

TKS

Jan

It's either Copper River, or Cooper Landing, which are you referring to??? If you don't have your own transportation, The Copper River lodge, in the past did offer a Copper Center shuttle. Otherwise, it is very unlikely any independent vendor is going to pick you up at a princess lodge.

Archived