Cameras on Ultimate ship tours

jrobinso

We are interested in the Ultimate Ship tour on Ruby, but I have read that cameras were not allowed. I know that this tour is new to the fleet, so I was wondering if this policy has changed? Is it different from ship to ship? I know my husband won't be interested if he can't bring his camera.Thank you.

No cameras.

Princess does take your picture at each place with some employees from that area that they give to you later. But what do I want with all these big prints.

You can't bring your own cameras and take pictures. I also found that sad as I would have loved some pics to remember it.

But as I tell my husband, look with your eyes, not with the camera lense. ;)

It sure didn't ruin the tour for me!

I did the tour last week on the Caribbean Princess. The confirmation letter for the tour expressly states to refrain from taking pictures. I did not bring my camera. However, a couple of other people brought their cameras and were allowed to take photos when we were in the ship's funnel. The ship's photographer took photos during the tour and had the pictures delivered to our cabin.

This was a great tour!

Chuck

No cameras, primarily because you're taken into some very sensitive areas. A ship's photographer goes with you and at the end of the cruise, you get a large packet of photos (no additional charge.) I got 25 photos, many of them with me and not the group. :) Yes, they figure out who is who via your cruise card photo. :)

Also, you cannot carry ANYTHING in your hands or hanging off (such as a bag) for safety's sake since you go up and down narrow and very steep ladders and you need both hands free and your balance.

No crew quarters are on the tour. You are taken along the main hallway that the crew uses to get to each area. It is a huge underground city for them. No camera's allowed, but I agree that the tour is still worth it. Remember to wear closed toe shoes.

Seems to me that they should let you have a camera since it is new to the fleet.
I don't follow your logic. You go to very sensitive areas on the ship and you can't carry anything with you. There are security and legal reasons for that. Being a "new" tour doesn't mitigate those reasons.

Sounds like another money making opportunity for the photog's if you can't use your own camera. ;)
The photos are given to you; you're not charged for them; they're included in the cost of the tour. They gave me 25 photos. How is that an additional money-making opportunity for the photogs? If you've taken the tour, you would know just how dangerous the ladders are if someone is distracted or carrying something.

Do you get to view the crews quarters? That would be real interesting.

They specifically don't take you into the crews' quarters because that is the one place that they get to be away from the passengers and don't have to be "on".

You do walk down the "main highway" that runs from the front of the ship all the way to the back, but you don't go into any of the crew area. And when I say crew area I mean cabins or dinning room or bar. Yes, there is a crew bar down below. It looks nothing like the wheelhouse :D and is much more rustic. The cabins are really small and usually house 2 or 3 people per cabin.

thanks so much for the information. I would love to do this tour, but not being able to take his camera will probably be a deal breaker for my husband. 25 included photos sounds appealing, though. Has everyone experienced getting photos delivered to your stateroom? Are they normal size photos or 8X10? I'm not sure I would want 25 8X10's but a smaller size and 25 different shots, I might be able to convince him.

The photos are given to you; you're not charged for them; they're included in the cost of the tour. They gave me 25 photos. How is that an additional money-making opportunity for the photogs? If you've taken the tour, you would know just how dangerous the ladders are if someone is distracted or carrying something.

Oh well that sounds a little better... I thought they were just trying to sell you the photo's. What size were they?

Unless there is something different about these photos and a copyright release, if they give you larger sizes than you want you could have them reduced in size either via a scanner at home or one at a store.

thanks so much for the information. I would love to do this tour, but not being able to take his camera will probably be a deal breaker for my husband. 25 included photos sounds appealing, though. Has everyone experienced getting photos delivered to your stateroom? Are they normal size photos or 8X10? I'm not sure I would want 25 8X10's but a smaller size and 25 different shots, I might be able to convince him.

The photos are 8 x 10, which is just a tad inconvenient. But, they're 100% free (you also get a number of other cool items for free) and, as mentioned above, there is no copyright issue. you can scan them and print them at any size you like (that's what I did.)

Also, it was explained to us on the Ruby that we were being taken to many areas of the ship with proprietary technology. The Ruby, in particular, boasts much brand new and state of the art technology (especially where environmentally "green" tech is concerned) that is not used on any other ship in the fleet or on many other cruise lines. The cruise industry is very competitive. I guess they're trying to avoid "corporate espionage".

And I do have to say, my own photos or not, this was one of the absolute "coolest" things we've done on a cruise. Everything from the engine control room to the galley to the medical area, the funnel and especially meeting the Captain on the bridge and spending close to an hour there more than made up for not being able to take my camera (and I'm known for having my camera glued to my face much of the time.) ;) Plus, you do get lots of great "swag". I wear my cushy Owner's Suite Princess bathrobe every day, and it never fails to take me back, even if just a little bit. :D

I hope you can talk your husband into it. I think you will both enjoy it immensely (if you're selected.)

Oh, and remember, it's a strict lottery system. They pull the names out of a hat (literally, I understand.) So, it can't hurt to put your names into the mix. If you aren't selected, then no worries. If you are, then you can decide whether it's something you really want to do.

Hoping you have a great time!!!

The photos are 8 x 10, which is just a tad inconvenient. But, they're 100% free (you also get a number of other cool items for free) and, as mentioned above, there is no copyright issue. you can scan them and print them at any size you like (that's what I did.)
I just measured mine: 25 photos that are 6" x 8", in an envelope.
Any age requirements? Can a 10 yr old go on the tour with an adult if they make the list?
I don't remember seeing an age requirement because I wasn't looking, but I'm guessing that there is one. It's a tour geared towards adults (actually, men as there were only three women on our tour) and if they have more signed up than they can take, chances are slim they'd take a child on the tour. But, I could be wrong.

I think no cameras would make this tour even more enjoyable. I sometimes feel picture taking throughout a tour can become a distraction for the person taking the tour and other tour members. I do enjoy having photos but some do get carried away trying to get the perfect shot...

What is the cost of the tour?

Pam, we only got 4 6x8 pics :(- Princess Theater, Bridge, Engine Room and the Funnels. I think the problem was that during our tour there were about 10 weddings going on or in progress because our photographer kept running away and coming back. I was on the Crown 4/19. Just FYI in case you do not receive 25 pics like Pam's tour.

Any age requirements? Can a 10 yr old go on the tour with an adult if they make the list?

There was a young boy on our tour with his parents; I think his mom said he was 13. One of my favorite side aspects of the tour was seeing his eyes get huge as saucers every time we were shown something new. :)

I just measured mine: 25 photos that are 6" x 8", in an envelope.

I meant to comment on this earlier. We only got 6 or 8 photos (not quite 1 per stop, plus 2 on the bridge) and they were all 8 x 10. I would have preferred more of the smaller size, but hey, we had a great time regardless.

What is the cost of the tour?

If memory serves, it was $150/person. I know that sounds like a lot but, without exception, every single person on our tour commented at the end that the experience was more than worth the price. Plus, as mentioned above, you get lots of neato stuff (that would cost well more than the $150/person if you were to buy the items individually -- if you even could buy them.)

Archived