Overseas travel packages

banditcat

A couple of years ago there was discussion on this site about a web site that had package deals on airtravel and hotels overseas. I lost my book mark and was interested in what everyone thoughts were on these web sites. Thanks for your help.

Hannah

A couple of years ago there was discussion on this site about a web site that had package deals on air travel and hotels overseas. I lost my book mark and was interested in what everyone thoughts were on these web sites. Thanks for your help.

Hannah

Do you mean like Gate1 Travel, One Travel, Site 59 (which is now Lastminute.com), etc. etc. etc. Some sell you consolidator air tickets, some sell fantastic packages. Some are junk, others are good. The best deals I have found are the air/hotel packages to Hawaii and Europe. My admin sometimes book the package for our employees and forgets about the hotel altogether. Some of the deals are THAT good.

Yes

I was looking for some that provide package deals. I remember that you had listed some that your company had used in the past but couldn't remember the sites.

Thanks

Hannah

Package deals to where and WHY??? Most are last minute packages. We use them for cheap air or accommodations in pricey places that our sales agents go to on a last minute basis. Some have PRETTY CRAPPY hotels. A lot of these sites really are geared towards backpacker/20 something travel. When you upgrade the hotels enough to be happy (at least a 3*, IMHO), you will generally pay as much as booking air and hotel separately. PLEASE watch what you are buying.

My thoughts are forget these sites. Do some research, book your own air and Priceline a hotel where you can.

Two sites I use frequently:

biddingfortravel.com - teaches the ins and outs of PL bidding

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego - check airfare

Also vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) if you are staying someplace more than a couple of days. We are using this for our precruise stay in Athens this July. Nice place, more convenient location and half the price of a hotel.

FWIW, Priceline came through for me with the Intercontinental in Athens for $75 per night. The hotel is quoting 175 Euros per night for the same time period for a non-refundable booking (apples to apples). Now, I won't get my Priority Club points, but not bad. Give it a try bidding in the 75 to 90 range.

Archived