Choosing my kayaking tour in Ketchikan, can anyone help?

teege

So on my NCL cruise, we have two options, listed below: Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak and Eagle Island Sea Kayak. I read online about Southeast Sea Kayak tours and heard they are great. Unfortunately, my cruise isn't offering.

Ideally it will be adventurous (we're very very active) with a decent chance of seeing whales, along with other wildlife.

Alternatively, the answer could be: Go with Southeast Sea Kayak anyway, or just do kayaking at Juneau instead.

Which of these do you guys think would be best??

Thanks!

Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak

• Tese tours have specific age requirements.

Price:

$147.00

Est. Time:

4 1/2 hours

Your adventure starts with a van ride to the Outdoor Adventure Center, where you'll gear up for a quick and exhilarating motorized inflatable boat ride to the Tatoosh Islands. Upon arrival, your guides will teach you about kayaks and give you a brief safety talk before launching your double sea kayak. Paddling in and around this unique island environment, you'll learn about the natural and cultural history of the area in the Tongass National Forest. Keep a keen eye out for bald eagles, seals and other marine life. Note: Participants must be at least 8 years of age, weigh less than 230 lbs. and be no more than 6'7" in order to comfortably fit in the kayak. Not recommended for guests with back problems. Paddling duration is approximately 1 1/2 hours. Participation numbers are limited. Outerwear is provided.

And this one:

Eagle Island Sea Kayak

$102.00

•  

Est. Time:

3 1/2 hours

Take a van ride to beautiful Clover Pass for a paddle in the Tongass National Forest. You'll be welcomed and led down to the waterfront facility, introduced to your tandem kayak, and receive a safety briefing. The protected waters of Clover Pass provide you with the opportunity to experience the tranquil setting of the Tongass National Forest. As you paddle, you'll learn about the natural and cultural history of the area while keeping a keen eye out for bald eagles, their nests, seals, jumping salmon and when the tide is right, star fish. Note: Participants must be at least 8 years of age, weigh less than 230 lbs. and be no more than 6'8" in order to comfortably fit in the kayak. Paddling duration is approximately 1 1/2 hours. Outerwear is provided. Single kayaks are available for those with prior sea kayaking experience. Participants in single kayaks must be at least 14 years of age.

My first question is why you don't book SE Sea Kayaks on your own? All the tour operators are great but you will not get the same experience, selection, or value booking through the cruiseline. Do a search on this board using the search feature or Google. The overwhelming vote is to book independently on Alaska cruises.

If you do go with SE, they were great. There were people of all fitness and experience levels and the guides made sure everyone had fun. We took the Pennock Island tour, they went across the main channel to some islands and coves. We saw some sealife (amazing dime-size jellyfish, starfish, etc) and bald eagle nests along the shoreline. The tour didn't have huge "wow factor" but we were wowed to be in Alaska!

Whale sightings would be highly unlikely on any kayak tour, but we enjoyed our Orca Cove trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks in '04. Lots of birds and smaller marine life, as well as a close up encounter with a group of sea lions.

One advantage of booking privately is having a smaller group size, which might increase your chance of wildlife sightings slightly; also, this generally means less prep time and more actual paddling time.

I have done kayaking independent out of Ketchikan three times, longer was better for me. HOWEVER, as already mentioned, do not count on seeing any whales. Would be extremely rare. Overall all you see is some birds and fish/starfish. BUT you can see that right downtown Ketchikan, if in season for the salmon run. At low tide, head down ramps under docks, all kinds of funky stuff in the water. :)

My first question is why you don't book SE Sea Kayaks on your own? All the tour operators are great but you will not get the same experience, selection, or value booking through the cruiseline. Do a search on this board using the search feature or Google. The overwhelming vote is to book independently on Alaska cruises.

If you do go with SE, they were great. There were people of all fitness and experience levels and the guides made sure everyone had fun. We took the Pennock Island tour, they went across the main channel to some islands and coves. We saw some sealife (amazing dime-size jellyfish, starfish, etc) and bald eagle nests along the shoreline. The tour didn't have huge "wow factor" but we were wowed to be in Alaska!

Quick question: How safe is it to book not with Cruise Ship? As in, what about timing issues, weather issues? For instance, if the weather is bad and we need to cancel, will we get money back?

And getting to SE kayaks?

Any other issues I need to worry about booking independently?

Thanks!!

Quick question: How safe is it to book not with Cruise Ship? As in, what about timing issues, weather issues? For instance, if the weather is bad and we need to cancel, will we get money back?

And getting to SE kayaks?

Any other issues I need to worry about booking independently?

Thanks!!

I have booked independent Alaska tours for over 10 years. And highly recommend it.

You HAVE to fully disclose WHAT ship your are on and your port time. THEN go with the vendor's recommendation for scheduling.

Sorry- these kayak trips go out in ALL weather, which is fully disclosed to you, if you cancel, your tour is likely nonrefundable. This would also be the SAME with a cruiseship tour, if as you are pulling into Ketchikan, you don't like the weather- there will not be any refund either. Again, be well aware of all cancelation policies, with independent vendors.

We've faced the same two kayaking choices you posted, and a few years ago we took the Eagle Island tour. It was definitely fun, but we found that to be a little mild for our tastes. We've booked the Tatoosh tour for this upcoming trip, hoping it will be ramped up a notch. Not expecting anything too exciting; we're just happy to be out in nature and moving around a bit.

We've faced the same two kayaking choices you posted, and a few years ago we took the Eagle Island tour. It was definitely fun, but we found that to be a little mild for our tastes. We've booked the Tatoosh tour for this upcoming trip, hoping it will be ramped up a notch. Not expecting anything too exciting; we're just happy to be out in nature and moving around a bit.

The Tatoosh is also a VERY tame tour, with your stated priority, you would definately bbe better with Orca Cove.

Budget Queen, you said that Tatoosh was very tame. What do you mean by tame? I did Orcas Cove with Southeast the only two times that I have kayak. If Orca's Cove is for beginners, how is Tatoosh any different? I am booked for Tatoosh this trip because I currently have arm problems and thought that a shorter trip would be better and that it would be easier to cancel a ship excursion since I will not have a phone to call Southeast. Am I right that Tatoosh is shorter and easier?

Judy

I previously mentioned we used SE last July on the Pennock Island tour. Some comments on things in this thread:

- My teen and I are very fit and active. I didn't consider it strenuous at all, probably similar activity level to a fast bike ride at the most, and a slow bike ride most of the time. Keep in mind they accomodate all ages and skill levels. We were in it mostly for the sights and fun and were not disappointed. OTOH if you have an injury or physical limitation, call the tour operator. They can even put you in a tandem w/ a guide who can do some or all of the paddling.

- Last year they had a Toursaver coupon for the Pennock tour; not sure about this year.

- If things were cancelled in KTN due to rain then almost nothing would happen! It's a kayak tour!!! What difference does it make if it rains (other than mountains being obscured) ?? If wave or wind conditions are not safe, they will cancel...all the tours seem very safety-conscious.

- We saw a pod of orcas about 1/2 mile away. Even the guides seemed surprised.

- Definitely ask the tour company's policy if your ship is late or skips port entirely (good thing to be clear on with any tour regardless of how it's booked). Most of the tour operators know the ship's disembark time and pier assignment, often before the captain does! The cruise-arranged warnings about "missing the ship" are empty scare tactics. I spend way too much time on this board and have NEVER heard of anyone missing the ship or even coming close. Many operators openly say none of their customers has ever missed the ship, and if that happens they will get you to the next port at their expense. A half-truth is that the ship will wait if a cruiseline-arranged tour is late. Sometimes yes, other times no...and this too is pretty rare.

Enjoy your cruise and HTH!

Budget Queen, you said that Tatoosh was very tame. What do you mean by tame? I did Orcas Cove with Southeast the only two times that I have kayak. If Orca's Cove is for beginners, how is Tatoosh any different? I am booked for Tatoosh this trip because I currently have arm problems and thought that a shorter trip would be better and that it would be easier to cancel a ship excursion since I will not have a phone to call Southeast. Am I right that Tatoosh is shorter and easier?

Judy

Yes, Tatoosh, is "easier" than Orca Cove.

Ooops ... thanks. Didn't see Orca Cove offered, is that through the ships or independent? Either way, even if it's tame, we'll be happy just to be out and moving.

Independent. Orca Cove is longer, meaning- more. :) More remote as well.

We did independent with Southeast and were pleased with them and with the excursion. We are fairly active people and did not feel like it was "tame". It was also quite windy that day so we had to work a bit! There were others in our group who were struggling a bit but it was a small group and the guide was very good. Enjoy your kayaking experience.

K.

I wouldn't worry about rain. You are in a rainforest and consider yourself lucky if it doesn't rain. As I mentioned before, I went on the Orca's Cove trip twice. The first time it was raining off and on while we were kayaking. It was nice weather before and after kayaking! The second tiime, there was not a cloudin the sky. I actually liked the atmosphere better in the rain and low clouds. We didn't see the mountains that surround Ketchikan and make it a beautiful place, but the atmosphere was special. The low clouds gave it an almost eerie experience. I felt like it was just the few of us kayaking and the animals that we saw. The second time, I kayaked in the same location, but it felt different. Both times were fun and beautiful in their own way.

Judy

Budget Queen-since Tatoosh is "easier", I will stay with that excursion if I kayak at all. I hate to be in this area and not do any kayaking.

• 1 month later...

This is great info. On our upcoming Princess cruise we've got the same choices as the OP mentioned. We were going to book the Tatoosh trip through the cruise line but now I think we'll book the Orca's Cove trip direct with Southeast. We've kayaked a few times before so we want something more than super-beginner level. This is our first cruise so we're a bit anxious about booking excursions independently, but it sounds like that's not a big problem in Ketchikan.

Our other option is to kayak in Juneau. We're going to do a zip line at whichever place we don't kayak, but a good kayak experience is our #1 priority.

We did Tatoosh last September with SE through HAL. It was great. Yes, it was pretty easy, but the scenery was beautiful. THe day we went was one of only 2-3 that was not rainy that season per the guides.

They took us by a bald eagle nest and we saw the mother and a "teen".

Archived