port excursions Livorno and Sorrento

Cruising Navigator in October, two of the ports are Livorno and Sorrento. Have never been to either. Any shore excursion would be so exciting, I just want to do it my own way and maybe not through the rssc excursions. What does anyone recommend in either port. Lucca looks nice but so does San Gimi, and I guess I have to see Positano when in Sorrento or maybe not. Does anyone have any special stories and plus what is the best way to visit these places if not doing it through ship excursion. Thank you very much for any replies. Cheers

When in Sorrento,you must catch the ferry/hydrofoil to capri,it really is stunning! Sorrento itself is lovely, as is positano, so you could really do with a couple of days,but if I were you I would opt for capri, stunning,very chic and sophisticated and extremely quaint, 25 mins by hydrofoil, and caught from very near to the regent tender stops! Have fun!!!

If you havent been to Florence its a must. If you have then I would suggest the excursion that goes to Siena and San Gimi - both are wonderful places to visit.

Grapejuice:

Sounds like you are on the Oct 30th sailing. You might want to post this question on both the Oct 30th roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=850086

and the Mediterranean Cruise Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

The others on the roll call have all been doing their own research and may have some good ideas for you. The Med forum has all kinds of suggestions for the various ports. I am using the Regent excursions so I have not looked into alternatives for excursions. However, I have been looking at the postings to make sure I do not miss anything.

See you on board.

Tilly and Emdee have it absolutely right. Capri is wonderful and if you haven't seen Florence you ought not to miss it. There are plenty of operators who will take you from Livorno. Just google "Livorno shore excursions" or indeed taxi drivers will be happy to accommodate you though it can be quite expensive unless you can make up a party. It is what they exist for! But don't rule out the Regent trip, they are sure to get you back to the ship for the evening sailing.

--Sorrento: Charming in itself, Capri is a wonderful excursion, easily accomplished on your own. However, it is a bit hectic [tender to hydrofoil to tram and reverse] and you have to watch your return time. Positano has a far more leisurely feel w. the possibility of lunch harborside and then some time to explore Sorrento. Too many good choices!

--Livorno: Florence is riveting. Be certain to look over Regent's tours as one may include tickets to the museum w. guide and another, simply transport into Florence. Once there, Florence is a walking city. We love Lucca and San Gi but they are far more laid back than Florence.

There are charming restaurants in all of these destinations, if that holds any interest for you.

We had a stop in Sorrento on our '07 cruise - we did the Regent excursion "A Taste of Capri". We hydrofoiled to the island, then took a bus to Anacapri and had time to hike trail or take the tram (we hiked up, took the tram down) and did some shopping. Then we went back to the main town and had lots of time to wander around, grab lunch and shop before taking the hydrofoil back. It was a lot of fun. Our 2nd choice was Positano as I've heard so many great things about it but we're big "water and view" folks and we are so glad we went to Capri. We went to Santorini later in the cruise and while it was similar to Capri, the Greek vs Italian experience made them both excellent days - probably our favorites on that crusie.

Our ship did not stop in Livorno but I've been to Florence and I agree, if you have a chance to visit, it's not to be missed!

A ROLL CALL is a thread, like your thread, but asks the question "Who else is sailing on this Ship/Date?" It is a chance to meet other people cruising with you. You can exchange information about the ports, pre and post cruise, join in self-initiated tours and generally gain information about your cruise.

If you are on the October 30th sailing for the Navigator the roll call is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=850086

Grapejuice-or wine, I disagree with previous posters about Sorrento excursions. There is nothing better in Capri than on the Amalfi coast. My suggestion would be to get a driver to take you to Amalfi-really special-and the rest of the local areas. Capri is fun,but crowded. The drive along the mainland coast, plus all the towns, is more diversified and IMHO more fun. By the way, be sure to buy some Limoncello in Sorrento. The stop in Livorno requires Florence and nothing but Florence. One of the great art cities of the world.

Thank you all once again for your answers to my questions, you are all very helpful. I am new to this site but I absolutely love it. I will check out roll call and see what info i can gather. I think I am leaning towards Amalfi tour, even though I know I would love Capri. I am a view and sitting eating, drinking person with some exercise included to work off the calories, so any beautiful location with views, food and wine is for me. I think Florence might be the go but wont rule out San Gimmi.

I will definitely be buying some limoncello in Sorrento, who knows I might just bump into George Clooney

Here are some views of two people who will be on the 10/30 Navigator cruise, and who just got back from an 11 day "land trip" to Italy. Obviously, we didn't take Regent excursions, but a lot of our bus trips were similar to Regent excursions.

Sorrento. The city is lovely, but probably good for no more than a few hours by itself. Your trip to Capri, if you choose it, will be much smoother than ours, since it will involve a hydrofoil from Soorento (under 5 miles), rather than a boat from Naples (more than 20 miles over open water). Capri is sort of an Italian version of a small Caribbean island: very hilly, with narrow roads that make you wince and wonder how the driver can drive them. Anacapri is pretty, and there's a great museum. Capri town is something of a tourist trap, but still pretty.

Pompeii is thrilling. It is also hot, crowded, and involves a lot of walking. If you dig archaeology, it's fascinating, and worth a try. Stay with your guide: it's easy to get lost. Wear a hat and sunscreen, and bring water.

Amalfi Drive. Our bus was too large for the drive, so we drove via main roads from Sorrento to our hotel in Vietri sul Mare. We've heard that the drive is beautiful, but arduous and dizzying. We may or may not take the drive as our shore excursion.

Livorno. We were in Florence and Pisa on our trip, and will go to Lucca on our shore excursion. In Pisa, we essentially had the shore excursion experience. All buses, whether from a ship or on a tour, park in a central area. You then take a shuttle to Pisa. The tower is worth about a five minute look, but the baptisry and church are both fantastic, at least from the outside. If you go to the end of the Field of Miracles, and turn right, a one block walk will take you to the real Pisa. There's a small but interesting Jewish cemetary ouside the walls of the "Field of Miracles". Summary: worth it only if you MUST see the tower.

(Funny story. The quide for a group from the new ship on a cruise line known as "X" messed up the shuttle. Her group WALKED about a mile from the parking lot to Pisa. On the way back, they tried to get on the shuttle, and the driver demanded one Euro per person. The guide actually had the passengers fork out the amount, no doubt losing customers for X.)

Florence is a great art city, but it's also a long way from Livorno. You can't hope to see it in only a day, and it's a very long day on what for us would be the last day before disembarkation. If you want to see the great museums, make reservations via internet far in advance: we were shut out on the May Day holiday weekend. We had a great time anyway.

I hope this helps. Do join the roll call for your cruise, whether or not you're on our cruise.

Grapejuice-or wine, To follow up on Joan and Joe; they were unlucky to have a bus too big for the Amalfi drive. As I said in my previous post, get a driver! They are correct that none of the towns are worth more than a few hours, but with Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano etc. you can easily fill a day. The Cathedral in Amalfi is beautiful, particularly from the outside.

Joan and Joe are also right that Florence is a long way from the port. I went to Florence on a land trip, so I have no recommendation as to the best way from a cruise. If I were doing it, however, I would not waste time on Pisa, but, find a way to get straight to Florence. There is enough to see outdoors and in churches that you do not need to make a reservation for the Uffizzi.

Maybe a question for Newlondon. Is there many car accidents on the Amalfi drive. If so does it cause a lot of chaos and road blockages. Just checking cause I would not want to get stuck and miss the boat

Maybe a question for Newlondon. Is there many car accidents on the Amalfi drive. If so does it cause a lot of chaos and road blockages. Just checking cause I would not want to get stuck and miss the boat

The drive among the Amalfi Coast is quite beautiful, but be prepared for delays. One car breakdown, and both lanes come to a complete stop. (Until one brave soul directs traffic)

Host Dan

Dan's right! In addition some Italian drivers think they own both sides of the road. I, however, would not let this deter me as it doesn't happen all the time, and a good driver may now a shortcut depending on the location. Some places, though, you are trapped.

Re Florence: Its not too far for a day trip. All cruise lines include it in their shore excursions. San Giminiano is quaint and historic, but does not compare to Florence. Please don't miss your opportunity to see one of the great art cities of the world.

Archived