SD or Seabourn?

SusanNJ

DJ's DH and I have sailed SB once and SD 4 times.

As always, your mileage may vary but here are my thoughts ...

While there are some things that we liked about our SB cruise there are many more reason that we keep returning to SD.

For us one of the biggest reasons we prefer SD has to do with the incredible outdoor spaces. SD just blows SB's triplets out of the water with the Bali beds, placement of the pool, the Top of the Yacht Bar area where you can have breakfast or lunch in your bathing suit and cover up.

There are many outdoor shaded areas as well as sunny areas on SD.

The incredible crew and staff on SD are another reason why. To be honest, on our SB cruise we felt like a number. SB is just a little too big for us ... and when there new ships come on board they will definitely be too big for us.

The crew/staff to passenger ratio on SD is wonderful.On SB there were perhaps two or three staff who were outstanding ... we never saw the captain.

On SD the captain is always out and about to talk about the weather, the seas, the ships ... The bridge is open for you to pop in and chat with whoever is at the helm.

The Hotel Manager and maitre'd are always around as well so if you have a request or a concern it is dealt with immediately.

And of course I can't say enough good things about the waiters, bartenders and room stewardess who seem to really love what they are doing ... and who like to interact with the guests.

Bottom line ... we feel like family on SD.

Here are the links to the SB-SD review I posted on the SB board in 2007 if you are interested.

Part 1: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463309&highlight=

Part 2:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463313&highlight=

Part 3: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463753&highlight=

My husband and I love Seabourn. Why should we switch to SD? I do admit not packing formal clothes is a big inducement. What are the other pluses?

I have done 8 SB trips, 8 SS and one SD. I did not see what all the personal yacht comments were about on SD. I never felt ignored or any lack of personal attn on SB but saying that my wife and I did finally get into the SD feel. They are old style ships with confining spaces in and out but they do grow on you. I do not think the food was consistently as good as SB but a couple of meals were outstanding. We loved the caviar and champagne in the surf. I would say to look at the price per day on each as well as itinerary for your decision.

Take a look at this photo, it is SD greatest feature (plus with only 100 guests it's easy hobnob with them, and the pool area is a great "chatroom"). I'm not a SD cheerleader, but it does have it's pluses. If I were not so big I'd probably sail it again, but the cabin/bathroom size and the small bed are an issue for us. If they would make everything about the SD ship 50% bigger, I'd sail them again.

7_arial_beds.jpg

Take a look at this photo, it is SD greatest feature (plus with only 100 guests it's easy hobnob with them, and the pool area is a great "chatroom"). I'm not a SD cheerleader, but it does have it's pluses. If I were not so big I'd probably sail it again, but the cabin/bathroom size and the small bed are an issue for us. If they would make everything about the SD ship 50% bigger, I'd sail them again.

7_arial_beds.jpg

C'mon, Ragnar. you and I are about the same size. We lived on a 47' motoryachct for 7 years. Bumping heads is part of being on a boat. Look Up!!! I have permanent knots on my head. does not bother me a bit!!!

C'mon, Ragnar. you and I are about the same size. We lived on a 47' motoryachct for 7 years. Bumping heads is part of being on a boat. Look Up!!! I have permanent knots on my head. does not bother me a bit!!!

and if Lois didn't put a few of them there herself, she wins the award . .. . :p

FT

and if Lois didn't put a few of them there herself, she wins the award . .. . :p

FT

Yep, she is as mean as a snake. Guess thats why you guys get along so well. Me, I am totally innocent and a victim of misplaced head whacks.

Haha!

It's not the head lumps that are really the problem, we are just spoiled from having a 375 sq ft suite plus a 75 sq ft balconey, and a large bathroom, on Regent Mariner (Pent. C) :eek:

Seven_Seas_Mariner_A-C_Penthouse_Suite.jpg

Seven_Seas_Mariner_A-C_Penthouse_Floor_Plan.jpg

We have looked at several of the Regent itineraries in the past and yes, the staterooms look fabulous. No comparison there.

Archived