Disappointed 1st Timer - haven't even cruised yet!

Not much is common. The Brits speak the real English. The Americans have just copied and made a mess of the language and insist on calling it English. They should call it Americanish.

I suppose we fall into that category too - what would we call it Australianish - no I have it Strine!!!!! Oh it's already called that? :D

We booked an Asian trip on board our last cruise with airfares included. When we got home and checked the airfares that Princess were charging were exorbitant. $3000 each to Bangkok from Brisbane. The going rate then was $1800. Luckily we had to cancel and book another cruise because that time frame fell during one of our daughters' 21st birthday's. We booked a cruise to Panama instead and will be booking our own airfares because they are ridiculously low at the moment and going down so just waiting for the right moment to pounce. As a result I have already booked accommodation for one night in LA then one night in FLL before the cruise (we are breaking up the flight - very long 25 hours) and then 7 nights in LA after the cruise. So it is much better to do your own thing.

P.S. Those airfares to Asia are now sitting at @ $1100 and dropping.

I understand your disappointment, but I wouldn't let one hiccup spoil absolutely everything.

Coordinating international travel invariably involves at least some lay-over time, although it is a pain you have to wait when there are direct flights available.

Personally I wouldn't cancel a whole cruise just because of a couple of hours of waiting in an airport. Heavens, where I'm from, we have to travel days to get anywhere at all :D

I understand your disappointment, but I wouldn't let one hiccup spoil absolutely everything.

Coordinating international travel invariably involves at least some lay-over time, although it is a pain you have to wait when there are direct flights available.

Personally I wouldn't cancel a whole cruise just because of a couple of hours of waiting in an airport. Heavens, where I'm from, we have to travel days to get anywhere at all :D

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I quite agree with this post, have calmed down a bit now :-) Was a bit annoyed when I first made the post as had just come off phone from from booking agent. It just seemed such a ridiculous wait for a short hop across Europe, especially when I know that Princess do have direct flights. Have flown from UK to Cuba in only a little more time than it is taking to fly from Venice to UK!

So will not cancel, but will still try to see if can get things improved, as per the tips provided by people on this forum. I will not let it cloud the enjoyment of our cruise which I am hoping is still going to be fab :-)

One positive aspect of booking air with the cruise line is that all your transfers to and from the ports will be taken care of which with the location of the port in Venice and the distance from Civi.to Rome means you won't need to worry about the cost of the transfers or missing the ship.

You will get a 'taste' of Venice just getting to the ship and sailing away and one day in Rome is probably not enough, you'd want to go back again.

I'm looking at the same cruise next year on the Ruby Princess and plan to stay two nights in Rome but Princess want £329 each for the hotel B&B and we can't fly from Scotland but will have to get a flight to London. I had assumed the flights from London to Venice/Rome would be direct but if that's not the case I'll have to rethink the whole trip.

Last year we cruised from Barcelona and arranged flights and two nights hotel stay independently which worked out beautifully on the outward trip as it is a convenient port to get to from the airport and the city. The return journey was a nightmare as our flight was delayed for over 8 hours. I've since learned that this is common practice with the buget airline we travelled with - flights frequently cancelled and appalling communication from the airline staff. I would have happily paid a bit more for a better airline but this was the only one flying direct.

I'm sure you will still have a wonderful time and come back hooked on cruising. :)

once you find what you want just go to your TA and tell them what you want, do not expect them to do the work for you.
I'm quite surprised by this comment. As a travel professional in the US, I consider it part of my duty to my clients to be more than just an order-taker. I provide counsel, think ahead and anticipate my clients' needs. There are many who think similarly - is this not the attitude in the UK? Shocking!

My tip for you is,never book airfare with any cruisline,you are better off booking it yourself,so you can get seats and the times you want,and fly in a day or 2 early,and is usually cheaper in price,oh well,just go with it
Quite true! While convenient to book with the cruise line, it's -never- worth it money-wise or other-wise!

Not much is common. The Brits speak the real English. The Americans have just copied and made a mess of the language and insist on calling it English. They should call it Americanish.
Ha ha - I'm an American and I feel the same way! (I still insist I should have been born British.)

Get yourself a good better travel agent, tell Princess that you want to use the ew travel agent and then have him/her change the flght arrangements. Princess has not, in any of the 26 cruises I have done with them and the numerous changes I have made, refused to make the changes, or refused to refund the deposit.

In the UK, deposits are NOT refundable. It's different than it is in the USA.

Hi There,

Sorry to say most are order takers, give out standard info read from a book,

almost every booking I have made I have had to correct things,

no onboard credit, wrong table size, room layout, dates, flights.

I think you get the idea, as to price they have not got a clue, you need

to do your home work and tell them about any deals etc.

yours Shogun

On my second cruise (the first one to involve travelling to the port; we live about an hour's drive to San Pedro -- the Port of Los Angeles:D), we had decided to go with a pre-stay/flight with Carnival Air. When the tickets arrived at my work place from the TA, I got on the phone with my bf (now hubby) and was giving him the details. I was saying we've got a 11am flight (or whatever it was), but then my heart stopped when I saw it said "pm." We were given a red-eye flight from LAX to Miami with the hotel room now a "dayroom" for the morning of the cruise. I called the TA and said, "no way." It was changed (I don't remember what the cost, if any, was) to a regular flight getting in at 8pm the night before so we can get a decent night's sleep.

I remember when we were getting on the elevator the morning of the cruise to go have breakfast and there was a group of people getting on, looking bleary eyed. Turned out they had taken the cruiseline air and didn't change it.

Since then, any travel arrangements are done directly by me in consultation with hubby so we get a decent flight or train and that we get into the departure port at least a day ahead.

I would imagine if we start our cruise in another country, we would pad our pre-cruise stay even more,just in case.

If we end up having to go with the cruiseline air, we would definitely insist on the customizing package. The cruiselines will try to find the cheapest for them, and not necessarily the best arrangement for you. Some people have even missed the ship, literally, because of cruiseline air. The ship will not necessarily wait for you.

Quite true! While convenient to book with the cruise line, it's -never- worth it money-wise or other-wise!
This information just isn't true and as a travel professional, I'm surprised to see you make this statement as you know it's not true. If you don't, you should. There are times when it IS worth it: I've seen it less expensive and more convenient to book cruise air than booking on your own quite a few times. I will grant you that's not always true but it's true often enough that to make a blanket statement to never book cruiseline air is misleading and misinformed.

To the OP, I'm sorry you are experiencing this setback to your excitement. What happens is that the cruiseline (all cruiselines do the same thing) books blocks of seats through an air consolidator; they rarely book directly with the airline unless it's a charter. These seats are sometimes spread out among several flights; the lucky people get the direct flights, the unlucky ones get the not-so-direct flights. Just because there are direct flights doesn't mean that the cruiseline hasn't booked seats on these flights; they've probably booked a block but not enough for everyone.

Ditto. For us to fly anywhere we have to drive 4 hours to our "local" airport. And we love to go!

Did you buy travel insurance by any chance? If not, the cancel and rebook the cruise and book your own flights would probably be best - unless you are w/in the window of time that you have already paid your final deposit? And I could be all wet, as someone said UK and US rules are different.

I for one NEVER let someone else book my flights - I like to chose the time I want to fly and seats too. Some friends of ours just got back from a cruise on RCL and they were in FLL airport ALL day - they had the cruise transfer from port to airport and their flight didn't leave for home until 8 - 9 o"clock and they got to Denver midnightish and still

had the 4 hour drive home YIKES!!!!

Ooops, sorry guess that doesn't help you. Good luck w/ trying to cancel and rebook. I agree w/ the poster that said keep calling - you do get different info from different reps w/ cruise lines as well as airlines!

This information just isn't true and as a travel professional, I'm surprised to see you make this statement as you know it's not true. If you don't, you should. There are times when it IS worth it: I've seen it less expensive and more convenient to book cruise air than booking on your own quite a few times. I will grant you that's not always true but it's true often enough that to make a blanket statement to never book cruiseline air is misleading and misinformed.

To the OP, I'm sorry you are experiencing this setback to your excitement. What happens is that the cruiseline (all cruiselines do the same thing) books blocks of seats through an air consolidator; they rarely book directly with the airline unless it's a charter. These seats are sometimes spread out among several flights; the lucky people get the direct flights, the unlucky ones get the not-so-direct flights. Just because there are direct flights doesn't mean that the cruiseline hasn't booked seats on these flights; they've probably booked a block but not enough for everyone.

I agree with Pam! :) Booking the whole package with Princess has worked out cheaper for us than booking just the cruise then having to do everything else ourselves. ;)

The package we've bought includes air fare from/to the UK with BA......direct flights to New York. Transport from JFK to our hotel in New York, 2 nights there. Transport from hotel to the ship. The cruise! :p Then transport from the ship on disembarkation day to a hotel for Day use. Finally transport from the hotel to JFK for an early evening flight! :)

To the OP. The later you book a cruise the less chance you have of direct flights or flying from an airport of your choice. Don't let this spoil your enjoyment.........let it add to your experience of worldwide travel! ;)

Hello again :)

Thanks to you all for all your feedback and comments. Being first-timers we didn't know a week ago what we know now! Because UK - Italy is not a million miles, I just assumed that the flights would be direct - its not like the plane needs to re-fuel or anything :rolleyes:. We have done loads of land-based holidays to both far-away and not-so-far-away places and in all that time only had one indirect flight. So at the time of booking, it didn't even enter into my head that we'd need to hang about in mid-Europe for such a short flight.

BUT, having said all that, will still keep persisting with booking agent and Princess. If we don't get anywhere, we will still make the best of what we have and will not let it spoil our holiday.

Hello again :)

Thanks to you all for all your feedback and comments. Being first-timers we didn't know a week ago what we know now! Because UK - Italy is not a million miles, I just assumed that the flights would be direct - its not like the plane needs to re-fuel or anything :rolleyes:. We have done loads of land-based holidays to both far-away and not-so-far-away places and in all that time only had one indirect flight. So at the time of booking, it didn't even enter into my head that we'd need to hang about in mid-Europe for such a short flight.

BUT, having said all that, will still keep persisting with booking agent and Princess. If we don't get anywhere, we will still make the best of what we have and will not let it spoil our holiday.

Hi there!

Yes keep on enquiring with TA/Princess. ;) As the time to pay the balance gets nearer there could be some cancellations etc that will free up aircraft space. I would ask the TA and Princess to record your wishes on your booking details etc. It's worth being persistent! :D

I do think that it should be made clearer when booking that flights may be indirect. With some cruiselines you book your departure airport/time of flight etc at the time of booking and know what supplements there are etc. ;)

One positive aspect of booking air with the cruise line is that all your transfers to and from the ports will be taken care of which with the location of the port in Venice and the distance from Civi.to Rome means you won't need to worry about the cost of the transfers or missing the ship.
Do UK citizens get free transfers on Med cruises? My U.S. travel agent advised that there are separate fees for transfers that are in addition to the Princess charge for booking air. We're leaving for European cruise #17 this month and have found without exception for all of the cruise lines that it's cheaper to book our own air from the U.S., and we have more control over the flights. We also do our own hotel booking because the cruise lines charge a hefty premium for hotels that are not as nice as the ones we find on our own.

Happy travels,

Donna

Friday ..... Are you aware that Ryanair fly to Rome from liverpool? maybe this might help you in your search and cost you a lot less! ...although you would have to pay for your luggage to be carried in the hold ....but even so it could be pounds cheaper ....:)

We have booked 2 cruises with Princess that have included air and transfers and hotel to Miami with cruise out of FLL ..... for the sake of any hassle or worries it has been worth doing and has not cost much more than doing it ourselves.

Dbh62ark ... we have a Med cruise from Barcelona booked in June but with RCI from Manchester in the UK ....price includes Air, transfer and Cruise ...as it would if it was with Princess......

Dave.

Friday you are going to have a brilliant time on the Ruby! Went last December and it was our first cruise and we are now hooked :) Just got back from Oslo Friday night (sailed on Vision of the Seas) and already looking at what's next - have a great time - so jealous! ;)

Friday ..... Are you aware that Ryanair fly to Rome from liverpool? maybe this might help you in your search and cost you a lot less! ...although you would have to pay for your luggage to be carried in the hold ....but even so it could be pounds cheaper ....:)

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. That was one airport I hadn't looked at ... other than Manchester, was tending to focus on the London ones. It makes a lot of sense to me as my company's Head Office is right next to John Lennon airport and I could park there for as long as I liked for free and with 24hr security! So will definitely be exploring this option. Also, am assuming Ryanair would be quite cheap ;)

Friday you are going to have a brilliant time on the Ruby! Went last December and it was our first cruise and we are now hooked :) Just got back from Oslo Friday night (sailed on Vision of the Seas) and already looking at what's next - have a great time - so jealous! ;)

To Tuesday from Friday! Thanks for your message. My excitement has now won the day over the cr*ppy flights I am currently booked on. Have just set up "My Princess" on the web site and have completed all the personaliser details for hubby & Me. So its all starting to get me excited, even though its still 90 days away...

One question for everyone:

I have read on a previous thread that you can go on the personaliser and ask for feather pillows in your cabin and an "egg-crate" mattress (have NO IDEA what the latter is :confused:). But I can't find anywhere to request feather pillows - how do I do this? Have put down that I am a veggie and is hubby's birthday the day after we set sail - 9 August. Also, having said that, do they do anything special for birthdays? If so, what? :)

We did the Venice /Rome cruise on Emerald Princess in 2007 flying from Manchester.

The flights were charter. Our TA double checked with Princess that they were direct before booking.

It is a bit of a hassle changing planes, considering the direct flight time.

I don`t think you will find it too easy to change TAs in the UK. I asked the question on another site and the resident TA replied that it has to be with the agreement of both travel agents. He also said that if it was his booking he wouldn`t give it up.

I would phone Princess UK again yourself and keep pushing for a direct flight. There may be cancellations.

Good luck.:)

p.s. The UK cruise personaliser is different from the US one. They have more options. You can always email them with a request or ask our steward when you get on.

I would phone Princess UK again yourself and keep pushing for a direct flight. There may be cancellations.

Good luck.:)

p.s. The UK cruise personaliser is different from the US one. They have more options. You can always email them with a request or ask our steward when you get on.

Thanks for the advice, Caber. I will keep pushing Princess, will call them myself, I think.

Don't fancy sending them an email asking them for feather pillows at the mo as have sent them quite a snotty email about the flight arrangements, don't think they will be in the mood to accommodate my special requests ;) Will wait a little while, after they have responded to my first mail

Friday ...... hope the Liverpool route is worth doing for you......:) as for pillows you can sort that out with your cabin steward on the Ruby when you get there! ....An Egg Crate is something that goes ontop of the mattress for those that do not like a hard mattress ...again dont bother the beds on the Ruby are Brilliant ..... :D

Looking forward to our 2nd Ruby cruise in November and in the same bed hopefully.

Dave.

Dbh62ark ... we have a Med cruise from Barcelona booked in June but with RCI from Manchester in the UK ....price includes Air, transfer and Cruise ...as it would if it was with Princess......

Dave.

Yes, that is not the same as the bookings through U.S. agents then. We have more of an "a la carte" system where passengers can purchase air and pay an additional cost for transfers or passengers who make their own air arrangements can still purchase Princess transfers in Europe.

Donna

I agree with Pam! :) Booking the whole package with Princess has worked out cheaper for us than booking just the cruise then having to do everything else ourselves. ;)

The package we've bought includes air fare from/to the UK with BA......direct flights to New York. Transport from JFK to our hotel in New York, 2 nights there. Transport from hotel to the ship. The cruise! :p Then transport from the ship on disembarkation day to a hotel for Day use. Finally transport from the hotel to JFK for an early evening flight! :)

To the OP. The later you book a cruise the less chance you have of direct flights or flying from an airport of your choice. Don't let this spoil your enjoyment.........let it add to your experience of worldwide travel! ;)

We also always book fly cruises with Princess and have never had any problems, with the only problem being that Princess will keep using American Airlines to fly into Miami from the UK. IMHO it is probably one of the worst airlines we have ever flown with. However, at least it is always a direct flight and at reasonable times.

However, last year we did a fly cruise to Rome with RCI and on the return journey had to leave the ship at 8.30 am and were expected to spend the day until our evening flight at Rome Airport. We opted instead for the ship excursion to the Vatican and Colliseum - better than sitting at Rome Airport but it was such a tiring experience with no opportunity to stop for ANY refreshments that we wrote a letter of complaint to RCI and did manage to get the price of one of the excursions refunded.

Hope you get your flights sorted out. Once you are on Ruby you will have a great time. She is a lovely ship. We had a week on her with our family to celebrate our Ruby Wedding and enjoyed every minute - even the iffy weather. We are hooked on cruising - next one is a WC sector of 26 days Southampton to Dubai on Dawn Princess - they will have to roll us off down the gangplank by the time we reach Dubai:D

Archived