Snorkeling in Alaska with Kids

cantw8togo

Has anyone taken their kids snorkeling in Alaska? My 8yr old DS would love to go snorkeling and so far, the only outfitter in Ketchikan that I have found that has child size wet suits is Alaska Deep Six. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for your help.

N.

Never heard of snorkeling in Alaska. The water is freezing!!!!!!!! Especially for an 8 YO.

If you're looking for a water activity, what about Kayaking?

My kids barely put their feet in, much less snorkeling....are you sure this is offered?

Rumour has it that yes, people do snorkel in Alaska!

Here is a link to the outfitter that is available to kids. http://www.alaskadeepsix.com/index.html

Here is the company that the cruiselines use for excursions. http://www.snorkelalaska.com/home.html

My DS loves to snorkel when we go camping in the summer, and this activity is near the top of his must do in Alaska list. I was explaining to him that the water is REALLY COLD, and that you would need to wear a wetsuit. He figures that it is all part of the adventure!

I have suggested the kayaking, and while he would like to do it; it isn't as high on his list of things to do. We are planning on heading out to Totem Bight State Park for a picnic lunch and beachcombing in addition to the totem poles and clan house. We hope to be out there around low tide, so maybe we would see similar things such as star fish etc. in the tidal pools.

Never heard of snorkeling in Alaska. The water is freezing!!!!!!!! Especially for an 8 YO.

If you're looking for a water activity, what about Kayaking?

My kids barely put their feet in, much less snorkeling....are you sure this is offered?

Snorkeling and Scuba diving are offered at certian ports in Alaska.

A friend of my neice and her husband, who live in AK, hooked my DD and I up a few years back for SCUBA but that individual has moved on to Fairbanks so I cannot help with any particular outfitter. It was great!

Yes, people do scuba and snorkel in AK. It was cool, but quiet comfortable -- but of course we swim in Lake Superior -- and compared to the big lake ANYTHING is warm!:D

Archived