alaska excursions

janines

I have been checking different boards for ideas for excursions in Ketchican, Juneau, Inside Passage,Skagway and Seward. We sail on Millineum July 10 from Vancouver to Seward.

I don't want to overlap excursions, so I'm trying to pick the correct stop for whale sightseeings. glaciers, train rides, etc. It appears to me that several of the cities have the same excursion choices.

I would appreciate some advice.

thanks,

janines

Janines,

I took an Alaska Cruise last June. Ketchikan has good shopping. I bought a jacket for twenty dollars with the soft lining in it. Juneau I think thats where Mendehall Glacier is (I do not remember the correct spelling.) It was nice. Skagway we took the train to Canada that was cool. I was on Royal Caribbean and we went to Icy Strait. I went whale watching and that was awesome. I was on a larger boat, I think if I went with a local it would have been better as in getting closer to the whales.

Patty

We went whale watching in Juneau with Harv & Marv's and did the Yukon/White Pass rail trip (7hr) with Chilkoot Tours while visiting Skagway. Both were independent tours, and we never felt like we were being herded like cattle!

It's easy to gt to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau on your own . . . there is an "express" bus you can get right dockside. "Express" as in it doesn't make stops to pick up people. Also, right across the street from the dock is the cable car up the mountain - great views and some trails to lookouts. No need to do a ship's excursion there, and you can do both easily.

We also took a floatplane over/to the Misty Fjords, wish I could remember which stop . . . Skagway? Sitka is a very walkable town with a lot to see.

A helicopter glacier landing is the "must do" in my book. You can't believe how awesome it is until you do it. We did it in Juneau. We did the White Pass Railway in Skagway. It was interesting and had beautiful scenery.

I have not yet done these, as we go in August, but I have heard loads of good things about them.

Wrangell - Anan Bear Observatory, can be done thru Alaska Waters Tours.

Approx 4-5 hours total. You go to a bear watching area over a river and can see both black and brown (grizzly) bears fishing for salmon. May also see eagles and sea lions fishing. You do have to be able to walk up a boardwalk to get to the site. These tours take a limited number of people, so have to plan in advance. About $265 a person.

Juneau - Rainforest Canopy and Zipline Expedition can be done thru Alaska Zipline Adventures. Must be at least 12 yr old and weigh between 90 and 250 pounds. You will see the forest on a series of 10 ziplines, including views of Juneau, Bullion Creek and the historic Treadwell Mine.

Called "an award winning nature based experience". About $165 a person.

Obviously, these are "active" adventures and may not suit everyone. They are also not inexpensive, but would rather do fewer tours and only do the ones I think I will really enjoy.

Both of these tours have websites where you can get more info.

Have a great trip.:)

We took a private tour in Ketchikan that was a bust - won't even say with whom.

Juneau: We took the tramway up to Mount Roberts in the morning, had a look around and lunch in the little cafe. There are great views up there and also a video about the area. I really recommend going. In the afternoon we went whale watching with Orca Enterprises. Great day!

Skagway: We wandered into town in the morning and had lunch and one of the best beers ever at a local brewery/restaurant. In the afternoon we took the train to White Pass. We were on RCCL and booked through the ship.

Icy Strait: We took a couple of tours that were okay. DH is in a wheelchair so we have limitations, and this was one place it made a bit of a difference.

Archived