Star Princess Coastal - The Good, the Very Good and the (slightly) disappointing

abbydancer2003

We just finished the first of three cruises on the Star. It was our first time on her, and we enjoyed it very much.

The very good:

The food was the best we've had on Princess to date.

The crew was for the most part very friendly

I loved the two level Promenade - I like being able to look out over the front of the ship. They had the Emerald deck portion closed at night though; when we were on the Star and Diamond, they didn't.

Internet in the stateroom! Woo-hoo!

The good:

MUTS - I've never been a big pool person, and we thought that watching a movie on the Jumbotron during gale force winds was a hoot. As was the small Jumbo bag of popcorn.

The International Cafe - I had some pastries here and thought they were very good. Our friends said the sandwiches and salads were good as well. I was also relieved that I could get brewed coffee without a punch on a coffee card (on the Dawn in 07 they punched, so we just bought the coffee)

The Internet instructions mentioned the Platinum/Elite credit, and the package was credited back without my having to ask at Passenger Services (a first).

The disappointing:

The International Cafe - in pictures from other ships there was a case with Candy or Caramel apples and Marzipan in it - the Star didn't have that.

As mentioned in another thread, the smoking section being next to the dance floor in the Wheelhouse.

The lack of recognition for Platinum/Elite cruisers - no welcome back card with ship sticker (I do keep them), and no lounge during disembarkation. The not very friendly CC host said it was up to the hotel manager on the lounge, and "there isn't time" for the welcome back cards. This is the first coastal I've been on like this.

We're on the Star for 16 days in February, and I think we'll have a blast generally.

We just finished the first of three cruises on the Star. It was our first time on her, and we enjoyed it very much.

The very good:

The food was the best we've had on Princess to date.

The crew was for the most part very friendly

I loved the two level Promenade - I like being able to look out over the front of the ship. They had the Emerald deck portion closed at night though; when we were on the Star and Diamond, they didn't.

Internet in the stateroom! Woo-hoo!

The good:

MUTS - I've never been a big pool person, and we thought that watching a movie on the Jumbotron during gale force winds was a hoot. As was the small Jumbo bag of popcorn.

The International Cafe - I had some pastries here and thought they were very good. Our friends said the sandwiches and salads were good as well. I was also relieved that I could get brewed coffee without a punch on a coffee card (on the Dawn in 07 they punched, so we just bought the coffee)

The Internet instructions mentioned the Platinum/Elite credit, and the package was credited back without my having to ask at Passenger Services (a first).

The disappointing:

The International Cafe - in pictures from other ships there was a case with Candy or Caramel apples and Marzipan in it - the Star didn't have that.

As mentioned in another thread, the smoking section being next to the dance floor in the Wheelhouse.

The lack of recognition for Platinum/Elite cruisers - no welcome back card with ship sticker (I do keep them), and no lounge during disembarkation. The not very friendly CC host said it was up to the hotel manager on the lounge, and "there isn't time" for the welcome back cards. This is the first coastal I've been on like this.

We're on the Star for 16 days in February, and I think we'll have a blast generally.

Thanks for the review. How long was the coastal cruise?

There is just so much one can expect on a 2 day cruise. Your 16 day cruise will have all the bells and whistles.

Agreed! I wasn't expecting all the bells and whistles anyway.

I've done a fair number of these cruises, and I think we've mostly had the welcome back card and sticker (haven't seen the almond cookies in a while though). This is our 3rd cruise and 2nd coastal as platinum, and the lounge was there for the last one.

The last coastal was an additional day, so maybe that's the difference.

Agreed! I wasn't expecting all the bells and whistles anyway.

I've done a fair number of these cruises, and I think we've mostly had the welcome back card and sticker (haven't seen the almond cookies in a while though). This is our 3rd cruise and 2nd coastal as platinum, and the lounge was there for the last one.

The last coastal was an additional day, so maybe that's the difference.

Almond cookies? What almond cookies? :confused:

I've been cruising Princess (and their predecessors) for over 20 years and I don't recall almond cookies. Hmmmmmmm?

On our first few cruises as Gold, there were two small almond cookies (the kind they had in Patisserie) on a plate next to the welcome back card.

I haven't seen them in a while either - I think the 2.5 years mentioned is about right.

On our first few cruises as Gold, there were two small almond cookies (the kind they had in Patisserie) on a plate next to the welcome back card.

I haven't seen them in a while either - I think the 2.5 years mentioned is about right.

At first I also thought "What almond cookies?" but now that you describe it I do remember them! It was a nice touch. With all of the things they do this couldn't have been much of an expense, wonder why they stopped?

We were on the 4 Day Golden, and this was the first time there was a letter from princess, actually listing all the benefits we were entitled to.(This was my 24th cruise) We did have a welcome back card in the cabin and a letter with the new shipboard credit for passengers above a certain level. Asked the CC Hostess about the passport sticker and she said she would send one to our cabin after the captain signed them, and we did receive them. We also received a letter telling us where the Platinum lounge was, this time it was in one of the anytime diningrooms. We have been on a 1 day coatal and they also had a platinum lounge. Maybe they had one and didn't publicize it?

Archived