Cruising with the King (Elvis) cruises

Apparently the cruise I'm booked on is one of the "Cruising with the King" Elvis Tribute cruises! I just spoke to RCI and they gave me basically the same details as what I found by googling it, which you can find at mahwey dot com.

For me, Elvis is ok but nothing I would choose so the agent clarified that there are special events and musical things that will take place in one theater - but not the whole ship. Entertainment will be as usual, with the addition of the Elvis stuff. That's good, because if it was ALL Elvis, I think I would probably pass! She said this is put on by RCI itself. There are other sailings as well (6 over the next couple of years) which are detailed on the website. So if there are any Elvis fans out there....check out the website.

Has anybody ever been on one of these cruises? Any details to share? Was it overwhelmingly Elvis or did it all just blend in? It doesn't sound like it will be that way from speaking to the agent but I'm just curious as to what others may have experienced....or maybe this is something new this year...? :confused:

Here is the schedule of Elvis cruises by date/ship/itinerary:

July 30-Aug 8, 2009 Grandeur (Eastern Carib): "Love Me Tender" cruise

Aug. 30 - Sept. 6, 2009 Mariner (Mexican Riviera): "Remembering the King"

Jan. 23 - 31, 2010 Independence (Eastern Carib): "Memories of the King" 75th Birthday Tribute

May 22-27, 2010 Explorer (Bermuda): (no theme listed)

Aug. 27 - Sept. 3, 2010 Rhapsody (Alaska): "Remembering the King"

Jan. 30 - Feb. 6, 2011 Allure (Western Carib): "Memories of the King" 76th Birthday Tribute

Sorry, it doesn't look like your Med cruise is one of them...:(

I wish RCCL would have a Jimmy Buffett Cruise. I'd sign up for that.

I have been on a theme cruise, and was a bit peeved when I found out about it, because I thought it would impact our enjoyment, but actually we were all unaware once we were on board as their activities were by reservation only. Didn't even know they were there.

I wish RCCL would have a Jimmy Buffett Cruise. I'd sign up for that.

I have been on a theme cruise, and was a bit peeved when I found out about it, because I thought it would impact our enjoyment, but actually we were all unaware once we were on board as their activities were by reservation only. Didn't even know they were there.

I second the Jimmy Buffet cruise theme! Wouldn't that be awesome? A ship full of parrot-heads, wasting away in Margarita-ville, lol!

The RCI agent told me basically what you said, emdia, that you sign up for activities and they are in one area only. I do think it would be great fun to see a bunch of Elvis impersonaters strolling around! I was a bit concerned when I first heard about this theme, but I don't think its going to be all that noticeable with 3000+ passengers on board so we're just going to roll with it and have fun!

Oh and to add to my previous comment, I was concerned that ALL the entertainment, etc. would be geared towards the Elvis theme, but the reservationist assured me that was definitely not the case! They will have all the regular (non-Elvis!) activities and entertainment on board so it should be barely noticeable....

Oh and to add to my previous comment, I was concerned that ALL the entertainment, etc. would be geared towards the Elvis theme, but the reservationist assured me that was definitely not the case! They will have all the regular (non-Elvis!) activities and entertainment on board so it should be barely noticeable....

Well I won't say which group it was on our sailing, but it was not a group I would want overtaking all things on the cruise,let's say. I did google them and then went to their website to see how many had bought the cruise ( I think I emailed too, to ask for numbers) and it was about 10% of the sailing capacity, but all I noticed when we sailed was that I would see a sign on a lounge door, Closed. for * group only. It was never that we couldn't go somewhere we wanted because they had the space.

Like you I called a RCCL agent and she told me that there are large groups on many sailings and most people totally unaware.

Everything else was as normal.

Due to financial reasons I had to switch our planned Miami cruise to a local cruise (meaning Mariner out of LA). Lucky us, we'll be sailing with you on the "Elvis" cruise. I, too, had looked up the info on the internet. Did I read it right that beyond the cruise it was $150pp for the 'entertainment'? I read the same website that you mentioned.

I think Elvis being on board will just add to the cruise experience. My husband is waiting for an Elvis Belly Flop showdown:p

Hi wispud! We are a little young to be Elvis fans (not that there arent' young Elvis fans!) and we thought they were great! The costume's were really cool and they were a fun crowd, for sure. We never even noticed they closed venues - it wasn't an inconvienence at all! Have a great time!

Due to financial reasons I had to switch our planned Miami cruise to a local cruise (meaning Mariner out of LA). Lucky us, we'll be sailing with you on the "Elvis" cruise. I, too, had looked up the info on the internet. Did I read it right that beyond the cruise it was $150pp for the 'entertainment'? I read the same website that you mentioned.

I think Elvis being on board will just add to the cruise experience. My husband is waiting for an Elvis Belly Flop showdown:p

An Elvis belly flop contest....now THAT would be worth seeing!

Yes, I do believe you read that right...an additional $150pp for entertainment according to the website. What I don't get is that for our particular sailing on the Indy (1-23-10) the mahwrey dot com website states that an inside stateroom "begins at $1049pp". On the RCI website for this sailing it shows inside cabins starting at $799pp. We have booked a balcony cabin at $1149pp so their prices (the Elvis site) seem rather high. But, I guess for the true Elvis fanatics, maybe its a price worth paying! It'll be an interesting cruise, I'm rather looking forward to it now!

Hi wispud! We are a little young to be Elvis fans (not that there arent' young Elvis fans!) and we thought they were great! The costume's were really cool and they were a fun crowd, for sure. We never even noticed they closed venues - it wasn't an inconvienence at all! Have a great time!

Thanks luckyprincess...and I love your name!!

Please join in on the roll call!:)

An Elvis belly flop contest....now THAT would be worth seeing!

Yes, I do believe you read that right...an additional $150pp for entertainment according to the website. What I don't get is that for our particular sailing on the Indy (1-23-10) the mahwrey dot com website states that an inside stateroom "begins at $1049pp". On the RCI website for this sailing it shows inside cabins starting at $799pp. We have booked a balcony cabin at $1149pp so their prices (the Elvis site) seem rather high. But, I guess for the true Elvis fanatics, maybe its a price worth paying! It'll be an interesting cruise, I'm rather looking forward to it now!

Sue,

In order to even go on the cruise I booked our family (3) an interior cabin. Last week I paid $629 for myself and husband, and $270 for our teen son. So, ya, I'd say their price of $1049 pp is a 'tad' high! BTW, I booked via our great Cruise Vacation Planner Lanisse at RCI...a little shout out because she's been so patient with all my travel changes.

Please join in on the roll call!:)

HI Carol,

I'll look for the roll call room. BTW, we LOVED Vancouver last August. Our family did a cruise to Alaska, but the week before we vacationed in Vancouver and gorgeous Whistler. Truly, my husband and I fell in love with the area. We'll definitly plan to go back for a longer visit. The Chateau Whistler golf course is one of the most beautiful courses we've been able to play.:)

Re: Jimmy Buffett themed cruises...do a search for "Parrothead Cruises"...there're many out there...there's a PH group out of Atlanta that has been doing one for several years...and they sell out VERY quickly...

HI Carol,

I'll look for the roll call room. BTW, we LOVED Vancouver last August. Our family did a cruise to Alaska, but the week before we vacationed in Vancouver and gorgeous Whistler. Truly, my husband and I fell in love with the area. We'll definitly plan to go back for a longer visit. The Chateau Whistler golf course is one of the most beautiful courses we've been able to play.:)

Here is the link. Unfortunately we lost many of the roll call when they cancelled the member's cruise.:( But, our flight and hotel are booked, so we are going!;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=618812&page=57

Glad you enjoyed Vancouver.:)

I cruised with the king in January on Independence - not by choice as I'm not a huge fan! It didn't matter though as apart from seeing one of the Elvises (Elvii?:D) walking round the ship quite a lot, I wouldn't really have known that it was a special king cruise.

We were on IOS in January and it was an Elvis themed cruise. It was very unobtrusive and we never noticed anything closed. Ship activities were never impacted. There were 3 Elvis impersonators and we would occasionally spot one at dinner or in the lounge. They graciously offered a free concert for everyone on the last afternoon in the theatre.

Have fun!

We were on an Elvis cruise that was organized by an Elvis fan club group. They had rooms reserved for the group and after the evening show in the theater, they put on their own show that featured several Elvis impersonators. We were politely asked to leave the room by ship staff. However, at the end of the cruise they did put on a show and allowed "non paying" passengers to attend. The guys that were the impersonators really got into their parts! They acted like Elvis through out the entire cruise. Actually I think they thought they were Elvis!

Re: Jimmy Buffett themed cruises...do a search for "Parrothead Cruises"...there're many out there...there's a PH group out of Atlanta that has been doing one for several years...and they sell out VERY quickly...

Yes, they're always on Carnival though.

I don't mind paying the extra because it goes for charitable fund-raising..:)

• 4 years later...
wispud,

How do you find out about all the Elvis cruises?

I am on the Independence in a couple weeks and one of the Elvis groups is on the same sailing.

Their website is cruisingwiththeking dot com or just do a Google search for "cruising with the king".

Dan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire