Which port (if any) is good for just walking around on your own self guided tour?

FabFam

Hi all, my family of four (including a 17 year old girl and a 12 year old boy) are headed on Regents Mariner in late June. We will do some excursions but also want to save some money and just enjoy the ports we pull into now and then. Do you all have a recommendation for a port or ports which are better for your own self guided tour out of these--We're amenable to just walking around a bit and/or catching a city bus even. Or maybe not even so much as a tour but just enjoying the scenery and perhaps a few shops-

Sitka

Juneau

Skagway

Ketchikan

I really appreciate it--i have lots of info on possible excursions at these ports it seems but not whether these ports are good for just your own walk about. Thank you!

Sherry

Actually, you can do that in all of the ports you're visiting. But I'd say that Sitka and Ketchikan may be the best candidates for it. In Sitka you can walk to/through the totem park, and visit some historic sites as well very easily on your own and it makes for a fun day. Ketchikan is a cute little town, easily explored on foot as well.

I would suggest you figure out your priority tours first, then fill in with walking tours. Each city has them available, ALL worthwhile, different and varied. Do your homework, head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska have walking tours listed.

There is just about an unlimited selection of ways to fill your port times. Make the most of them depending on what you wish to accomplish in Alaska.

MHO: All of them. Ketchikan and Sitka are good for walking around, but Juneau and Skagway are also good if you're willing (and able) to rent a car.

If it were me in the OP's shoes, I would pick Sitka for the walking tour. Most Alaska cruises don't go to Sitka. Tour the town now, visit the Raptor center, etc., and appreciate the uniqueness of the town. The excursions aren't as unique to Sitka. If you take a future cruise (and miss Sitka), you can always catch up on Ketchikan, Skagway, or Juneau later.

Although Sitka is great for just walking around, it also has some fantastic wildlife watching tours (small boat excursions) and it would be a shame to miss out on these.

We have kayaked and taken a float plane excursion in Ketchikan, but still prefered our Sitka small boat excursion.

Thanks to everyone so far-I really appreciate everyone's individual opinion. My problem is that we booked this cruise kinda "late" -just a few weeks ago-(42 days left I think...) and I've got maybe TMI on excursions...And of course, "work" is getting in the way of my vacation planning! ha! I do need to nail down a few of the excursions as suggested and make the walking/port self tours sort of fit in.

Would love to see more replies and thanks again to all,

Sherry

We've been to the Alaska ports a few times. All are fairly compact and walkable - Ketchikan is my favourite (Creek street in particular). On our last trip we did the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour (boat was used in the "Deadliest Catch") I think your teens would really enjoy it.

We also enjoyed the Alaska State museum in Juneau. While all the ports are overwhelmed to a certain degree by tacky tourist shops, I think Juneau is the worst. I would recommend you do the museum, or the Mt. Roberts tramway if it is a nice day. It is a fairly easy walk to the museum and the tramway is practically at the cruise ship door.

Skagway is very small and you will have more than enough time to walk the whole town - if you can swing it I would recommend the train trip - a bit pricey but very good.

I recently borrowed a book from the library called "Inside passage walking tours" which is excellent, but it may be difficult to find - it gives some history, walking maps and detail on the walking map points of interest.

Have fun!

Hi - Am also doing Regent but on June 10. I concur that Sitka, Ketchikan and Skagway are great on foot. Have not made it to the Raptor Center in Sitka yet but hope to this time. Heard so many great things about it. If you like sushi, go to the Little Tokyo (Sitka). Wonderful!!! And do not miss the little museum in Skagway. Very fascinating and easy walk from the ship.

In Sitka, you can walk through the Totem National Park. On the far side of this park, you can go out on a road and across and just a short way down this road is the Raptor Center. After touring the raptor center, you can return to Totem park and see the other half. Raptor Center has some trails along a river also.

Our seaplane excursion was canceled in Ketchikan because of the weather, so, we explored the town. We went up to the totem pole museum and there was also some kind of eagle refuge or something like that that we didn't visit. There was also a cultural museum not far from the port that we visited and it was very nice. I think it only cost a few dollars to get in. There was a short movie and then you explored. We also enjoyed shopping along Creek Street.

Sitka is our favorite port for walking. We start with the Bishop's House, walk to the Sheldon Jackson museum (the very best of antiquities - probably not politically correct now, but a great collection), go to the Totem Pole Park and uphill to the Raptor Center. If you don't want to walk, there is a rather high-priced bus that goes around and drops you off at the attractions. If anyone in your group is over 62, bring your Golden Age Pass to get up to 4 people into the Bishop's House and the Totem Pole Park for free.

I recently borrowed a book from the library called "Inside passage walking tours" which is excellent, but it may be difficult to find - it gives some history, walking maps and detail on the walking map points of interest.

Have fun!

I'll have to agree, this book by Julianne Chase is excellent. Will be using the listed walking tours in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican starting this weekend. Stitka is included in the book. Check your local library.

Have fun!

I bought this book for just a few dollars (used) and I am planning on reading it just before arriving in the various ports. I know they have walking tour maps at most visitor centers,but by having all the info ahead of time, we can plan easier, plus the book gives some tidbit info that you don't get from the visitor centers,although I am sure they have great info too.

Speaking of walking, in Ketchikan, DH is going fishing, I am not. I was thinking about talking a walking tour by myself, (I am used to doing things on my own). This might sound like a stupid question, but just to make sure, is there any area that most walking tours send you that I shouldn't, as a woman walk around alone?

Speaking of walking, in Ketchikan, DH is going fishing, I am not. I was thinking about talking a walking tour by myself, (I am used to doing things on my own). This might sound like a stupid question, but just to make sure, is there any area that most walking tours send you that I shouldn't, as a woman walk around alone?

There are absolutely no concerns about Ketchikan areas. I frequently walk the "industrial" side of town, along the float docks, since I have to stop in at friends. :)

I really appreciate all the ideas. I made a little table with the info everyone gave me on this thread so I can read up on it further on some of the tour guides. I'm close to making some solid decisions, so this has been great!

Tetley--loved your "Downtown Ketchikan is chick central. Go to Del Sol, get your cool shopping bag that changes colors, your husband's credit card, and have fun!" You bad girl! ha!

Sherry

Archived