Is it against CC rules to ask for Hal Personal Cruise Consultant Recommendations?

canadagal

I know it's against CC rules to mention TA's or agencies or anything like that but do Hal personal cruise consultants fall into the same category because they actually work for the cruiseline. If not against board rules could some of you share who you use and contact info.

I'm just not sure if mentioning PCC are against board rules.

Pat

I know it's against CC rules to mention TA's or agencies or anything like that but do Hal personal cruise consultants fall into the same category because they actually work for the cruiseline. If not against board rules could some of you share who you use and contact info.

Pat

Until recently I think most believed that mentioning PCCs was against the rules. However, recently this thread

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=950133)

mentioned at least two different PCCs, and the thread still exists.

Rich

Thank-you Rich. I did a search and saw one of the threads but missed the other thread listed in the one you just posted. I managed to get 3 names out of those 2 threads but I still am in a quandry as to whether or not I'm breaking board rules by asking such a question.

If I am then I guess the host will pull my post but I wish the host would clarify this type of thing as it seems in the grey area.

Pat

Since I may apparently respond - contact Kristina Harvey - absolutely

outstanding service!:o

Yes....I've contacted her before.... she's very nice and prompt.

As I mentioned in the thread I linked to, Kristina is also my PCC and has been great. I talked to her today. BTW her current schedule is Tue-Sat.

Rich

Pat

Contact Lance English. He loves his job and will contact you right away.

I'm wondering how PCC's are compensated: commission, salary, free cruise, what? It seems to me that booking a cruise through a PCC who is onboard the ship is akin to purchasing insurance from someone who sells for only one company. You aren't getting an unbiased opinion. I personally prefer to deal with our TA back at home who isn't locked into recommending only one cruise line.

I'm wondering how PCC's are compensated: commission, salary, free cruise, what? It seems to me that booking a cruise through a PCC who is onboard the ship is akin to purchasing insurance from someone who sells for only one company. You aren't getting an unbiased opinion. I personally prefer to deal with our TA back at home who isn't locked into recommending only one cruise line.

For me, I don't care how any else is paid. None of my business. The PCC is an employee of HAL. As far as not getting an unbiased opinion - I have made a decision to sail on HAL. From that point, I get good information from my PCC, and timely responses. If I have a booking open, I know I can contact my PCC and have my questions answered by someone who knows the product. While I understand using a (particularly local) TA and some of the advantages there, the disadvantage is that they are also, to some degree, biased. The TA is more likely to sell a line they have cruised on and enjoyed or the line that offers them the highest commission. If they sailed on a line and had a bad experience, even if it was a one time event for the line or something the line couldn't control, they will steer you away from that line even if it might be the best fit for you.

Two sides to everything (maybe more)

Rich

Good Morning,

I see Lances' name mentioned several times, I have to second that vote! We were fortunate to be passed along to Lance when our PCC moved onto another position within HAL. We were concerned as we had several conversations with the previous rep...Lance has worked with on on that past cruise and is currently working on our upcoming cruise! He has been right on.

While we booked this cruise onboard, during our last cruise, Lance had all our information when we arrived home and contacted us to be sure everyting was as we wanted. After a few weekes we decided to change our destination...he once again got it all together for us! Thank's Lance and HAL.

I have friends and family that use TA, perhaps they receive a few more perks such as OBC or free bottle of wine, but on each cruise we have worked directly with the cruise line consultant and each turned out to be perfect! Just my preference...! Happy Sailing

Ok, time for the "tacky" $ question...

We currently book with a large well known FL agency, primarily because of their prices. We don't really care about the freebies they sometimes offer. Is a PCC able to quote rates that are lower than those on the HAL website?

Ok, time for the "tacky" $ question...

We currently book with a large well known FL agency, primarily because of their prices. We don't really care about the freebies they sometimes offer. Is a PCC able to quote rates that are lower than those on the HAL website?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that at any given time there might be several promotions that may apply to your booking (sr citizen, residency, etc.). The web page gives a generic price with a possible reduction only for Mariner status. The PCC, like any TA, would have access to all the possible promotions and will pick the one that gives you the best rate. As you work with a PCC, as with anyone you stick with for anything, they will become aware of your status, likes and dislikes and will be able to match the fare with whatever promotions are available.

Rich

First of all, I think you're confusing a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant) with an FCC (Future Cruise Consultant). A PCC isn't on board a ship, s/he is at a desk in Seattle, drawing a salary and possibly commissions - I don't know and I don't care.

Secondly, I have made up my mind that HAL is my preferred cruise line, and I don't need any "unbiased" opinions - which probably aren't as unbiased as you would like to think anyway! I'm sure that many TAs try to steer customers to a preferred line or two, or away from others, for various reasons. :D

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that at any given time there might be several promotions that may apply to your booking (sr citizen, residency, etc.). The web page gives a generic price with a possible reduction only for Mariner status. The PCC, like any TA, would have access to all the possible promotions and will pick the one that gives you the best rate. As you work with a PCC, as with anyone you stick with for anything, they will become aware of your status, likes and dislikes and will be able to match the fare with whatever promotions are available.

Rich

Sorry, I just now noticed your reply to my inquiry... thank you for the valuable info!

• 2 weeks later...

We have to mention Mr Jim Picicci at 800 355 3017 ex 3873. We have dealt with him repeatedly and have been very pleased. He returns calls as soon as possible and has always gone the extra mile to assist us. If he is not familiar with a request, he will research it and get back to us with timely and accurate information. Mr Picicci is a real pleasure and always starts our next cruise experience in a positive way. Thanks, Jim !!!

We have a good HAL PCC; she's Jennifer Flink; JFlink@HollandAmerica.com; 800-355-3017 x29325.

Recently we told her where we were considering for our next cruise; she was right back the next day with several possibles that fit our dates and budget and kept at it with us until we had it worked out. She's tenacious! Doesn't need to be reminded to get back to you either.

I have had my PCC inform me of price reductions and have also

informed her when I stumbled upon one myself, in which case she

immediately and cheerfully reduced the fare and issued new confirmations.

This is excellent news as I am extremely disappointed with this one-time-only TA I've used for my upcoming cruise.

Archived