Unhappy with Carnival for first time

This will be our first Carnival cruise. Is there someplace on their web site that explains these certificates? It sounds like there are 3 different kinds & I'm really confused.:confused:

The "certificates" they are talking about can only be purchased on certain ships.

You pay $100.00 per certificate and that $100.00 is applied to your downpayment when you book a cruise. Then you also get $100.00 (if it is a 7 day cruise) and less it is a 3,4 or 5 day cruise.

We bought 10 of them on the Freedom and have had no problem using them and still getting other Onboard Credit like Stockholder's (when you own 100 shares of Carnival stock) or OBC given with a price reduction or OBC given in resolution to a problem on an earlier cruise.

You have 5 years to use the certificates and IF you don't use them...you can return them for a full refund.

This is handled by Carnival (not a 3rd party). You still book through your normal TA or PVP...

Okay, I'll weigh in. I'm not bashing Carnival, I'm thinking from a customer relations point of view.

If the programs are so complex and hard to understand that several employees are mis-understanding them, shouldn't the business look to stream line the policies? Wouldn't fewer, simpler plans mean lower employee training costs, fewer forms to complete, and happier customers in the long run?

Just my philosophy - give customers a great value for a fair price, and quit messing around with coupons, bonus offers, and special discounts. Should make for happy employees, shareholders, and customers.

Exactly. Look at those flip video recorders that are so popular right now. Push a button and it records. Consumers love simplicity.

Any one know if you can purchase these on the Glory?

We just sailed on the Glory last month and I did not see them available.

I know we bought ours on the Freedom....does anyone know the other ships they are sold on???

I purchased one of these certificates while on the Valor in March.

I was also given wrong information regarding how they could be used.

My brother and two sisters also bought these.

We all had trouble using them.

The man selling them assured us that they were combinable with any rates or promotions.

We specifically asked about this.

My brother already had a cruise booked for next March.

When he told the man that he had a cruise booked, he was told that the cruise was in the future so therefore he could use the certificate with that cruise.

Well, I got the welcome home credit as I booked another cruise within 6o days.

When I sent the certificate into Carnival I was informed that I could not use the certificate with the welcome home.

They told me I should have read the fine print.

I thought that I should have been able to believe the salesman as he was on a Carnival ship.

And they quoted me that the certificate plainly stated not combinable with Welcome Home Credit.

Mine did not.

I had to drop the $50.00 Welcome Home Credit or use the certificate on another cruise.

My brother was not able to use his certificate as he purchased the certificate after he booked the cruise.

The man selling the certificate either outright lied or else he had no idea the conditions of what he was selling.

You don't get what they promise when purchasing these.

My brother already had a cruise booked for next March.

When he told the man that he had a cruise booked, he was told that the cruise was in the future so therefore he could use the certificate with that cruise..

I got the same sort of smart alecky reply, put differently. That these are FUTURE cruise certificates, why would I think I could apply them to a cruise I bought in the PAST, so I only bought one at first, then since I cruise so much I bought more this last time. So, I was told the opposite of your brother, that they could only be used for a cruise booked in the future. then the guy got smart alecky even more about how I was confused (only thing I was confused on is why Carnival gives out multiple answers for the same question, and this jerk was acting like I was just dumb and not getting point, because he had all the answers).

So far I havent used any I bought this past May, but since I have 5 years, Im sure I will use them.

We just sailed on the Glory last month and I did not see them available.

I know we bought ours on the Freedom....does anyone know the other ships they are sold on???

I bought mine on Conquest, thought they had them on Glory too.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

Do not get me wrong, I am not here to talk bad about Carnival. I actually love cruising with them very much and have done so 6 times in almost 2 years.

Onboard the Liberty I was sold two of the "$100 Future Carnival Vacation" certificates and told they simply could not be combined with military and interline. I was on a pack-n-go rate at the time (convienent and cheap since I live close to the ports) and specifically asked if it would work with those rates. He told me yes, so I ended up purchasing two of these certificates.

Last week I book a trip on the Inspiration (Monday, May 18th) and ask my PVP about the certificate. He himself said it will work and to send it certified mail to Carnival Promotions. I do so, and get confirmation that they received it this past Monday. Three more days pass without a response so I call them up this morning. After 15 minutes of "looking for it" they tell me that it is not combinable with my rate and they are going to send it back to me. After two of their employees tell me it will work, they tell me it won't and that I am out of luck. I wait 30 minutes for a "supervisor" who tells me this; to get the certificate back and take it on the Inspiration to complain. Why would I do this? They didn't sell me the certificate, they won't be able to do the discount/OBC, nor should they have to. It is not their liability.

Needless to say, they ended up cancelling my certificate which refunds me my $100 credit. So two different employees misinform a customer, they talk me into buying these things, and then do not honor them. They end up giving me my $100 back, just in a different manner, and in the end do not make a customer happy over $50 OBC. I could've got the Welcome Back discount since I booked within 60 days anyways, so I still don't understand their deal. The misinformation within their company on what is combinable is not my fault, so why not make things right and just apply the "discount" to save time?

I already got a great price on the cruise so I am too upset, I just disagree with how they handled it. In the end I will end up getting the same amount of money back, I will just have to wait a lot longer.

This also serves as a future warning to people buying the certificates. Although they will tell you it can be combined with "Any sensational sailing! minus "military and interline," they actually will not combine it with a lot of rates. The supervisor informed me that the tiny text on the back "restricted fares" actually represents a lot of different fares. So it could be a hit and miss with these things.

Same thing just happened to us. I love SAILING Carnival but am very unhappy with the customer service on land. My TA called and asked if she could use the certificate with the rate she was using and was told yes. 3 days later I get a phone call from her, am put on a conference call with a customer service "administrator" who has no authority over any authorizations by the way, am out 40 cell phone minutes, my time and my $200 from my cert (value of certificate and OBC). My TA was great in fighting for us (even though it was her birthday:) That is why you use a TA people) and all she was able to do was get us 8 free soda coupons to recoup the shipping.

Now I still have the certificate (which I made them reissue a new one so there was no confusion) and hope to use it next year. Like I said, Love SAILING but not the customer service aspect. After reading this thread I am considering asking for a refund as it appears it can't be used with the easy saver rate... yeah I could book using the certificate under the regular rate but that pretty much evens out.

Leaving in 12 days for LA to set sail and I sure hope this experience does not linger onto the ship. Afterwards I plans on sending a letter that probably won't do much complimenting the sailing part but being honest about the before the cruise part. I may send a copy to the BBB as well...

Now I still have the certificate (which I made them reissue a new one so there was no confusion) and hope to use it next year. Like I said, Love SAILING but not the customer service aspect. After reading this thread I am considering asking for a refund as it appears it can't be used with the easy saver rate... yeah I could book using the certificate under the regular rate but that pretty much evens out. ...

Not sure where you got this information from, but as Iv stated over and over, yes, for sure you CAN use it with early saver (I can attest to this personally).

I had the same problem. We purchased two of the certificates on the Conquest last year, after being assured that they could be combined with the Military Discount…. I sent the certificate via certified mail and waited a week after receiving the delivery receipt. My poor PVP was confused as to why it wasn’t being adjusted against our account.

I called for almost two weeks, until they finally told me it was NOT combinable with the military discount. Another thing, is although I purchased both of the certificates, one was in my name and the other in my husbands. They now require that my husband write a letter requesting a refund, like thats going to happen *****???

I am not mad at Carnival per se, but I was not happy about the way this issue was handled. At the least, they could have offered to refund my certified mail costs. Oh well, we will continue to sail Carnival; live and learn.

I had the same problem. We purchased two of the certificates on the Conquest last year, after being assured that they could be combined with the Military Discount…. I sent the certificate via certified mail and waited a week after receiving the delivery receipt. My poor PVP was confused as to why it wasn’t being adjusted against our account.

I called for almost two weeks, until they finally told me it was NOT combinable with the military discount. Another thing, is although I purchased both of the certificates, one was in my name and the other in my husbands. They now require that my husband write a letter requesting a refund, like thats going to happen *****???

I am not mad at Carnival per se, but I was not happy about the way this issue was handled. At the least, they could have offered to refund my certified mail costs. Oh well, we will continue to sail Carnival; live and learn.

When we attended the sales presentation aboard the Splendor in May, we were told there were 3 rates you could not use these certificates on and one of them was military. I remembered that because it was the only one of the three that applied to us. Sorry you got misleading information.

All I can say is don't believe anything a salesperson or customer service rep says regarding financial matters. Get it in writing before you buy. You took a verbal promise on something that was important to you, and you should have asked to see the pack and go rate listed in the documentation as an acceptable rate. If you had pushed for it, they would have eventually denied your request and you could have avoided the purchase.

The best you can hope for is a refund of the vouchers.

It may be human nature to trust verbal promises from salespeople, but many have to learn the hard way that salespeople will lie if they have to if it means making a sale (and thus making a living.) Your only defense to the lies is to get the promise in writing.

I dont know why they just dont 'do it' like NCL

You buy the certificate on current cruise, can use on anynew booking regardless of the discount.. and I believe for $150- I received $250

Dont remember exactly it was last year.. but no hassles no anything..

Archived