tips for baggage handlers at port?

We usually tip at least $1 per bag and make sure you do tip! On one cruise we met two different couples who did not tip. One of their bigger bags made it on the ship but all ID was removed. Have you ever tried to rip off the cabin sticker they give you for your bags? They found them at the pursers desk.

Why tip the baggage handlers,they are making over $20.00 an hour to do their job.

I was told that by the shuttle driver who took us to the port last year.He said they are guarenteed 8 hours of pay,and they are usally their only 4.

Why tip the baggage handlers,they are making over $20.00 an hour to do their job.

I was told that by the shuttle driver who took us to the port last year.He said they are guarenteed 8 hours of pay,and they are usally their only 4.

I'm just curious as to how much you tipped your shuttle driver.

On our last cruise there was no one there to tip -- just a large cart labelled with our ship's name and destination. We looked for assistance, found none, set our luggage on the cart and prayed it would find it's way to our cabin. It did. :o

The custom going back to the back to the middle ages is 1 or 2 coins per bag. This translates to $1 or 2(2 in NY). 5 is a generous tip.

You ever notice that those who say don't tip claim they are counting what other people make? Actually they are just looking for an excuse to be cheap.

Most longshorepeople who do this type of work rarely work a full week. and if they do and are making $20 per hour its only a fair living wage(800 per week $40,000 per year).Many people claim they hate unions but many of the benefits you have at work are because people don't want unions. Vacations, holidays sick leave health insurance and pensions were all given to keep unions out. Sure there have been union excesses as if they haven't been management ones. So you would be happy if they were paid minimum wage? Union membership is the lowest its been since the depression and you fell safer because of that? Not me the pendulum has swung too far to management. FDR strengthened Unions because the brahim that he was he realized that generally strong unions make middle class americans stronger...and yes it may cost you more at Walmart where practically nothing is Union made and its not made here either.

The custom going back to the back to the middle ages is 1 or 2 coins per bag. This translates to $1 or 2(2 in NY). 5 is a generous tip.

You ever notice that those who say don't tip claim they are counting what other people make? Actually they are just looking for an excuse to be cheap.

Most longshorepeople who do this type of work rarely work a full week. and if they do and are making $20 per hour its only a fair living wage(800 per week $40,000 per year).Many people claim they hate unions but many of the benefits you have at work are because people don't want unions. Vacations, holidays sick leave health insurance and pensions were all given to keep unions out. Sure there have been union excesses as if they haven't been management ones. So you would be happy if they were paid minimum wage? Union membership is the lowest its been since the depression and you fell safer because of that? Not me the pendulum has swung too far to management. FDR strengthened Unions because the brahim that he was he realized that generally strong unions make middle class americans stronger...and yes it may cost you more at Walmart where practically nothing is Union made and its not made here either.

Upgrade this poster to the best possible cabin and give him a bottle of champagne . . . Cheers!:D

We generally tip $1-2 per bag.

Since we only have one bag each, plus one carry on we don't bother with them on the way out. We learned that the hard way, I tipped the porter when we got to the curb, my husband was in line to pull over. The porter literally dumped the bags off the cart onto the curb and walked away with our $10 (we had the kids with us and had 4 bags). He would have had no way of knowing how much the tip was, it was folded - 5 ones and a 5 on the outside, he didn't even look at it, just looked straight ahead and stuck it into his pocket, I asked him please to assist us getting the bags into the trunk. He just turned and walked off, didn't even say thank you, what a jerk!

It wasn't the money, $10 isn't that much, it was the attitude that got to me. Even though we still tip on arrival, the memory of that one very rude baggage handler really stuck with me :rolleyes:

I know....let it go ;)

Been $2 a bag for at least the last five years now. Though we normally just hand them a $20. Where upon we are usually asked if there is anything "special" in them we would like them to be sure gets through. There isn't by the way we don't drink.

Why should I tip the baggage handler, when the shuttle driver took my bags out and put them less than 5 feet from the luggage cart.Then when the baggage handler put my luggage on the cart he stuck his hand out,and not to shake my hand but looking for something.I'm not cheap, but I'm from the old school,nothings free...........

Why should I tip the baggage handler, when the shuttle driver took my bags out and put them less than 5 feet from the luggage cart.Then when the baggage handler put my luggage on the cart he stuck his hand out,and not to shake my hand but looking for something.I'm not cheap, but I'm from the old school,nothings free...........

so now its different from what he earns. Now you claim he doesn't do anything for you. Make up your mind. Its because you don't want to tip him. these are all your excuses. Like why should I tip the maitre d. or the person who washed the floor. excuses are like you know everyone has one ......

Its still an excuse the convention is to tip...no one actually forces you but its still cheap...or better yet niggardly....which is a better word for it and no its has nothing to do with race....

you know you can say the same thing about the wait staff. they don't cook the food. All they do is put in an order and pick it up,,,why tip them?

Its still the same scrooge, skinflint, Jack Bennyish(who wasn't that way in real life) etc....

You-----stiff

Driver----jerk

my opinion only.

Next thing you know, everyone will want to know how much the travel agent makes! Oh yeah, that's been covered ad nauseum ;) Maybe all the people in the cruise industry as well as the CC posters should be required to attach a copy of their income statement.:D

We usually travel via cab or limo - we have already covered that tip. For the Longshoreman - we have been paying $2.00 per bag for years now. Tip or wonder if your bags will be with you or floating beside you - I've seen it happen. (Accidentally, of course).

Chick.

Next thing you know, everyone will want to know how much the travel agent makes! Oh yeah, that's been covered ad nauseum ;) Maybe all the people in the cruise industry as well as the CC posters should be required to attach a copy of their income statement.:D

and tip accordingly lol. actually I find its the truly old money that are the biggest stiffers...its rare that people who have worked their way up don't- they mostly remember what it was like for them when some jerk(and if the shoe fits you are) stiffed them....

Last year dh and I and my niece went on the Mariner nice ship loved her but we stayed at the raddison hotel at the port. The baggage handler on the hotel told everyone to tip big or they will not return our bags to the ship. one lady said No she was not going to tip more than 3.00 he told her lady that is not enough. he told us if we did not tip him, his name was Vince from NY a former police officer at the Raddison Hotel who was taking people to and from the ships. He told everyone that we must tip him good to buy his beer and his tithing money to his catholic church. We were appalled. I was not, I sent a letter to Raddison Hotel and to the Cruise ship line. Not only he did not intimidate me He got FIRED and I was glad and We received a complimentry room for it. I was not doing this for the complimentry room but for his bad a* attitude against all of us who was on his shuttle to the ports. He told all the ports man that these people are going to take good care of you all... one woman who did not give him any tip, he left her baggage at the port. She never received her bag. it was still there in the cubby hold of the baggage claim when she got to the ship 7 days later.

So get off your high horse and give them somthing...or hang onto your own luggage and tell the porters to hang onto them or give the porters your bag and give them 3-5.00 each large bag NOTHING to the shuttle man. he gets paid good money...

Not like MR Vince because of his stupidity he lost his good job, he was a moron.!:rolleyes:

Archived