Laundry problems on Royal Caribbean

ajpack

On our last two cruises I sent shirts to the laundry...one tee for me and a dress shirt for my husband. Both times they came back ruined...I had to throw them away. They were a different dingy color each time. The cruise line gave me credit for the laundry bill...big deal. Now I am really skeptical about using the laundry again....never had any problems before. I count on using the laundry to cut down on luggage. Anyone else had problems?

Anne

Anyone else had problems?

Not on RCI but on HAL. I sent my husband's cargo pants out and specifically wrote NO CREASES, please iron flat. They creased the legs, right down the middle! That was back in October. In spite of repeated washings/ironings, I can still see that dumb crease on TWO PAIR. Drives me crazy.

Robin

I've not had any problems other than the $20 laundry special (won't do that again!).

I don't send our shirts to the laundry, though, only dry cleaned. Only the T shirts, underwear and socks and perhaps jeans are sent to be laundered.

OT -kind of funny and happened years ago. My husband sent his tighty whities to be laundered and they starched and pressed them :D

I did the $20 bag last year and the red shorts did not look right ... I wasn't even sure that they gave me the right shorts back ... they were a very strange color of red kind of dingy ... quite odd ... I took them home and re-washed them ... low and behold they were a lovely color of red (and were my shorts) Jan

I always send my husband's shirts to the laundry here at home...didn't even consider sending them to be dry cleaned on board. That's what I will do the next time for shirts and tees. Thanks!

I had a "crinkle" sun dress--they IRONED it until it was so "uncrinkled" that 4 people could have fit in it! I never could wear it again on the cruise, and had to wash (hot water) and dry it multiple times at home to get it to draw up and "crinkle" again. It's still not quite right.

However, they did a bang up job on hubby's linen-ish shirt---I could NEVER get it ironed as nicely as they did it!

I will never send my undies or most of my Ts to Celebrity laundry again. First time I tried my basic cotton panties, 3 pairs and 2 white polo shirts. I got 3 tie dyed blue and white panties back and one was NOT mine, wrong size. I got one basic, size M polo shirt back and one size XS Ralph Lauren Blue Label polo back. I insisted they take the RL back and find its owner. I mean they run like $250. The housekeeper and laudry guy both said "no, not possible, keep it." I spent several days looking at every woman who might be Twiggy on the ship. Tried to leave with lost and found and they refused because it might be counterfeit. My best friend's 16 year old daughter loved her "souvenier" from St Maarten.. I always take a small refill bottle of Woolite with me now.

My DH has never had problems other than the slight dinge that goes away. I think it's from the low suds detergents they have to use.

I've not had any problems other than the $20 laundry special (won't do that again!).

What problems did you encounter with the laundry special?? I tried it once, and found they had permanently marked all our items with our cabin #. Now, if we are in a different cabin, wonder where my clothes will end up....... The main problem I had with the clothes was the smell....guess I really like my Bounce dryer sheets.

We are doing basically a b2b2b(16 nights) soon, so I guess I'll bring my tide packets and some woolite, too. It jsut takes so long to dry things, even wet swimwear in the cabin. Anyone have help with that??

• 5 weeks later...

The Adventure of the Seas ruined several of my items. I sent a brand new pair of black cotton slacks to be "dry cleaned only" so they would not shrink or fade and they washed them in hot water! Not only did they shrink 2 sizes, they faded and looked 10 years old. They also ruined a couple of dresses I sent to be pressed. I have used RCCL's laundry service on several other cruises but the AOS was horrible! I will be avoiding the ship laundry in the future on any RCCL cruise.

What problems did you encounter with the laundry special?? I tried it once, and found they had permanently marked all our items with our cabin #. Now, if we are in a different cabin, wonder where my clothes will end up....... The main problem I had with the clothes was the smell....guess I really like my Bounce dryer sheets.

We are doing basically a b2b2b(16 nights) soon, so I guess I'll bring my tide packets and some woolite, too. It jsut takes so long to dry things, even wet swimwear in the cabin. Anyone have help with that??

The laundry special is wash and fold. Fine for mens underwear, socks, T shirts for workout, etc... But for clothing you want to look nice and hung on hangers, forget it.

We didn't know it was the $20 special laundry day, we had bagged it the night before in a regular bag and left it on the bed then merrily went our way. My husband had nice polo style shirts, a couple short sleeved collared shirts, jeans, casual day wear slacks. It all came back folded and wrinkled.

After determining how much it would have cost with regular pricing, we had only "saved" $2. It actually ended up costing us a few $ more as we had to send several items back for pressing....at half the cost of dry cleaning. We do like our clothing well pressed and realize another person may have been fine with their jeans and polo shirts folded instead.

The laundry special is wash and fold. Fine for mens underwear, socks, T shirts for workout, etc... But for clothing you want to look nice and hung on hangers, forget it.

We didn't know it was the $20 special laundry day, we had bagged it the night before in a regular bag and left it on the bed then merrily went our way. My husband had nice polo style shirts, a couple short sleeved collared shirts, jeans, casual day wear slacks. It all came back folded and wrinkled.

After determining how much it would have cost with regular pricing, we had only "saved" $2. It actually ended up costing us a few $ more as we had to send several items back for pressing....at half the cost of dry cleaning. We do like our clothing well pressed and realize another person may have been fine with their jeans and polo shirts folded instead.

That is what we used the special for-underwear, socks, my hubby's jeans. For better clothes, we had them laundered separately.

That $20 deal was still worth it for underwear alone.

That is what we used the special for-underwear, socks, my hubby's jeans. For better clothes, we had them laundered separately.

Our $20 special was a previous cruiser deal-so we used a coupon. This was a 12 day cruise-so we were glad to use it. For a 7 day cruise we can easily take enough- and not need to have anything laundered. On 7 days we have only sent out t hings to be pressed.

BTW, I like the crinkle stuff too- I have several skirts and tops in that material for summer wear- I will remember to wash it out in the sink with the shampoo they supply if I ever want that laundered! I don't want my crinkles ironed out-LOL!

The only 'bad' experience was with Celebrity, on Century. A nylon sleeveless blouse (that didn't need to be ironed to begin with), came back with a very visible iron scorch mark on the front - I could not get rid of it try as I might. Of course, I didn't see it until we got home and unpacked - it had gone straight into the suitcase. Blouse went into trash. It was one of my favorites, too. :(

Otherwise, good success w/ ships' laundries.

He must have had a lot of underwear! @$1.20 per pair, $1 for a pair of socks he had to have had more than 10 pair each to go over the $20 limit.

For us, washing and folding jeans just does not work, we like them well pressed.

He must have had a lot of underwear! @$1.20 per pair, $1 for a pair of socks he had to have had more than 10 pair each to go over the $20 limit.

For us, washing and folding jeans just does not work, we like them well pressed.

Twelve day cruise with 3 day pre cruise in England. Not just the jockey shorts, he wears a fresh tee everyday,sometimes twice a day, my panties were in there too, also our pajamas. No bras though, I washed them out myself.

Twelve day cruise with 3 day pre cruise in England. Not just the jockey shorts, he wears a fresh tee everyday,sometimes twice a day, my panties were in there too, also our pajamas. No bras though, I washed them out myself.

By tee I meant undershirt.

Archived