Westerdam, Eurodam, or do you even give a .....

EMess

Hi,

Thinking of a HAL cruise on either the Westerdam or Eurodam. Westerdam stops in Aruba and we have never been there. Eurodam stops in San Juan. Never been there either. The opinion of you seasoned cruisers is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have sailed aboard both ships to the Caribbean (the Eurodam in December 2008 and the Westerdam in March 2006). Both are very nice ships, but the Eurodam is newer and has additional features such as the Tamarind Restaurant. Also, Puerto Rico and Aruba are both good ports. I would probably pick the Eurodam.

Chuck

take a look at the times in port in both Aruba and SanJuan. So often the SanJuan times are short or mid afternoon to mid evening and not much good. Frankly I would go with Aruba where you can walk right off the ship and be downtown or an easy run to some great beaches and shopping is good there too on the main street in Oranjestad:)

We did the Eurodam back in November and just booked the Southern Westerdam. I love St. Thomas and San Juan. I have no desire to go back to Grand Turk. Half Moon Cay is on both and I love that island. San Juan is great if you have never been there . The 1pm arrival is nice for some shopping and touring and then dinner in Old San Juan. We have not been to Aruba and really are not that thrilled about it but really wanted to go to Curacao.

I am considering these same cruises for the Oct/Nov/Dec time frame. I've not yet done an Eastern or Southern itinerary, so all ports would be new. I will be taking a first-time cruiser who calls herself 'snobbish' and rejected all Carnival ships - is the newer Eurodam fancier than the Westerdam?

I'm most interested in hearing if the pricing is a good deal at ~$600 for an inside.

I will be taking a first-time cruiser who calls herself 'snobbish' and rejected all Carnival ships - is the newer Eurodam fancier than the Westerdam?
I think so, thanks to the Silk Den and Tamarind which the Westerdam does not have. But - there are some strange decor choices on the Eurodam that do not suit me, particularly the hanging monstrosity in the Atrium. :eek:

Given the same itinerary and price, I would choose the Eurodam again.

I'm most interested in hearing if the pricing is a good deal at ~$600 for an inside.

To me, that would depend on cabin category, and length of the cruise.

If it's a 10-day cruise, and an upper category inside (like J- or K-), then it's a very good price. If it's a 7-day cruise and a lower category inside (such as an NN), then it's not so good.

Remember, many of the inside cabin categories on the Vista class and E-dam are quite small, as compared to the S- and R-classes. The largest insides are on Main Deck, and are quite generous.

Have sailed on both ships.

Even though the Eurodam is newer and does have the Tamarind Restuarant and Silk Den -- we loved both them -- I would choose the Westerdam -- because of the itinerary.

Aruba is very nice -- have been there quite a few times. Too many of the San Juan stops arrive there in the afternoon and leave late at night.

Archived