Visa for Brazil

lancet

My wife and I are booked on a B2B cruise on the grand this Nov. 18. This involves the trans-atlantic cruise with stop at Fortaleza, Brazil. From the Grand Roll Call forum, I found out a visa is needed. I am posting in the general forum as it has a wider audience.

I am concerned about this. The approx. $400/couple doesn't set too well with me, but I am more concerned about the process. You can't apply until within 90 days, which means after payment is made. You must submit a copy showing proof of your itinerary there. And you must submit your passport. If somehow my passport is lost during this process, time could be a real problem. I am asking for any information from anyone who has gone through this. Has anyone had any problems?

Seems like Princess is putting its passengers through a lot of hassle for a re-fueling stop. Although, I do understand there maybe a lot of passengers looking forward to a stop in Brazil

Thanks for the input.

Lancet

My wife and I are booked on a B2B cruise on the grand this Nov. 18. This involves the trans-atlantic cruise with stop at Fortaleza, Brazil. From the Grand Roll Call forum, I found out a visa is needed. I am posting in the general forum as it has a wider audience.

I am concerned about this. The approx. $400/couple doesn't set too well with me, but I am more concerned about the process. You can't apply until within 90 days, which means after payment is made. You must submit a copy showing proof of your itinerary there. And you must submit your passport. If somehow my passport is lost during this process, time could be a real problem. I am asking for any information from anyone who has gone through this. Has anyone had any problems?

Seems like Princess is putting its passengers through a lot of hassle for a re-fueling stop. Although, I do understand there maybe a lot of passengers looking forward to a stop in Brazil

As Toto says, no visa, no embarking the ship. The copy showing proof of your itinerary is just your booking confirmation, it's not a biggie. And yes, you must submit your passport because they stamp your passport with the visa. It's good for 5 years after you've entered Brazil. I was able to use my Brazilian visa from several years ago (and an expired passport ago) for my cruise in January although I had to present both passports when entering Brazil.

It really comes down to your choice: you either book the cruise and get the visa or you don't. :(

Princess is not putting you through any hassle.

Brazil requires a visa, and is very strict about it.

Way back in 3-98, on a Royal Princess trans-Atlantic from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Barcelona Spain, with two or three en route stops in Brazil, 5 passengers were denied boarding in Buenos Aires, and were left fuming on the pier when the ship left. They had failed to get necessary visas for Brazil!

I later asked the Staff Captain about it, and he said that Brazil might have denied landing rights to the ship, and fined the company a great deal of money, for bringing undocumented aliens into the country!

We got our Brazilian Visas in January and BTW, they are good for 5 years. The VISA cost is $130/PP, which is the exact sum that the United States charges the Brazilians to obtain theirs for US entry. I don't know where you live, but if you have a Brazilian consulate within a reasonable distance, you can do it up close and personal and not be concerned about the return of your passport.

Princess doesn't make the rules. Brazil does.

Thanks for the input.

Lancet

Just understand, that if you show up w/o a Visa on day of departure, under no circumstances will you be allowed to board. Happens all the time.

We were on the Pacific Princess in Feb & Mar to the Amazon. We got our visa thru Zeier and everything went smoothely.

BTW, I believe you must also include proof of a yellow fever shot.

No yellow fever required for stop in Fortaleza. We need the YF Paul for Devil's Island.

Brazil introduced the costly Visa requirement a number of years ago in response to the introduction of the same requirement that the US put on Brazil citizens traveling to the US. It is a bummer.

I have had to apply for Visas for many countries over the years, including two times for Brazil. To date I have had not problem with getting things, including my passport, back in a timely manner.

When I have had to get several visas for one trip (like 5 in 2007) I use a Visa agency. That way they take my passport to each Embassy, retrieve it and then on to the next, with internet tracking available. I feel better this way but it is an expensive service. Princess will probably have organized things with a Service if you want to use it, but it will be costly. Such information will probably come to you about 2-3 months before sailing.

Brazil introduced the costly Visa requirement a number of years ago in response to the introduction of the same requirement that the US put on Brazil citizens traveling to the US. It is a bummer.

I have had to apply for Visas for many countries over the years, including two times for Brazil. To date I have had not problem with getting things, including my passport, back in a timely manner.

When I have had to get several visas for one trip (like 5 in 2007) I use a Visa agency. That way they take my passport to each Embassy, retrieve it and then on to the next, with internet tracking available. I feel better this way but it is an expensive service. Princess will probably have organized things with a Service if you want to use it, but it will be costly. Such information will probably come to you about 2-3 months before sailing.

Princess used to recommend Zierer, and I have used them in the past for difficult to obtain Visas (Russia and India being two of them) However, I don't recall them suggesting any method in recent years. Perhaps I just wasn't paying attention, but I think I would have noticed for this recent trip if it had been there.

Way back in 3-98, on a Royal Princess trans-Atlantic from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Barcelona Spain, with two or three en route stops in Brazil, 5 passengers were denied boarding in Buenos Aires, and were left fuming on the pier when the ship left. They had failed to get necessary visas for Brazil!

I later asked the Staff Captain about it, and he said that Brazil might have denied landing rights to the ship, and fined the company a great deal of money, for bringing undocumented aliens into the country!

For my Royal Princess cruise in 2-99, we had something like 12 people who hadn't gotten visas. They weren't allowed to leave FLL and had to be rushed to the Brazilian Embassy to get a visa. I have no idea whether they were able to since from past experience, even if you take it to the Brazilian Embassy, you leave it and come back a few days later. Even if they did get the visa, they would have missed the charter flights to Manaus. However it turned out, it was probably a very expensive lesson learned.

BTW, I believe you must also include proof of a yellow fever shot.
I got mine updated and brought it with me for my cruise in January out of Rio. No one asked for or bothered with the yellow fever shot.

For

I got mine updated and brought it with me for my cruise in January out of Rio. No one asked for or bothered with the yellow fever shot.

That's because Brazil doesn't require one if you haven't arrived from one of their listed countries. If you fly into Brazil from the U.S., no yellow fever is needed.

Your experience was somewhat different, as your cruises was originating in Brazil (Manaus), and those 12 were presumably scheduled for Princess' charter flight from Florida.

Our cruise as originating in Argentina, with in-transit stops in Brazil, and presumably those five came into Argentina on a commercial flight (as we did); hence Princess would not be checking their visas before the flight, but at embarkation.

We did the almost identical TA on the Royal Princess in 07, and there were people who tried to get on the ship without their VISAs for Brazil (Fortaleza stop).

They were given a choice.....pay a $1000 fine to Brazil, or don't get on the ship.

Thanks for the quick responses, I do want to clarify one aspect. I am fully aware that I can't board without the visa. And I read all the requirements on the Brazil Consulate General site. The question was: did anyone have problems with time delay or lost passport? I know I either do it or cancel. That was not the issue.

I already have yellow fever certificate from a trip to South America, but I know its generally not needed in the coastal areas.

Also I wasn't blaming Princess for the visa requirement. I was referring to their decision to stop there to refuel knowing of the visa requirement. Maybe there is no other refueling port they could use.

thanks again for the response

Lancet

I obtained my Visa for Brazil by going to the Consulate in San Francisco. Cost me $100 plus coast of Priority mail return. I live 150 miles from SF and did not want to drive back to pick up the Visa a week later. The Visa and my Passport were returned to me 5 days later. You can go onto the Internet to loacte the Brazilian Consulate nearest you. They'll give you all info and you can print the form and have it ready. If you are not anywhere near a consulate then you'll have to use one of the Visa Services. I don't know if you can mail the application to a Consulate office or not? As said before if you don't have the Visa you will not be able to board the ship. We left lots of people behind in FL. last year when I sailed on the Star for SA. GOOD LUCK PAT CC

Thanks for the quick responses, I do want to clarify one aspect. I am fully aware that I can't board without the visa. And I read all the requirements on the Brazil Consulate General site. The question was: did anyone have problems with time delay or lost passport? I know I either do it or cancel. That was not the issue.

I already have yellow fever certificate from a trip to South America, but I know its generally not needed in the coastal areas.

Also I wasn't blaming Princess for the visa requirement. I was referring to their decision to stop there to refuel knowing of the visa requirement. Maybe there is no other refueling port they could use.

Lancet

Nobody I know has ever had a problem having their passports returned. And Princess is not the only cruise line that stops in Fortaleza.

Lancet

We've used ZVS (Zierer) mial-in visa service twice for visas that we needed for cruises - once for Turkey and just recently for Brazil. While it is not inexpensive, they were very timely and their web site allows you to follow the status of your passport/visa while they are working on it. So I would not hesitate to use them again. Just make sure you follow their instructions on their web site and that you don't get the Brazil visa issued outside of 90 days before you'll be there.

Good luck and have a great vacation.

I have had to mail my passporty to get visas many times, never have they lost my passport while processing. Yes, I am sure it happens on occasion, but this is really the only way unless you happen to live close enough to drive to a consular office. Do it early so you have time to obtain replacements if something does go awry.

Brazil has offices in the US in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, LA, Miami, NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC.

Passports are meant for visas, not for hiding in a safe. Let it do what it was designed for.

If you happen to have dual nationality, it may be cheaper to use your other passport as the brasilian immigrations rules were set up as a result of the US setting up their own such fees.

Anybody know if Brazil is still photographing and fingerprinting all americans?

Thanks for the input.

Lancet

Although we live near a Consulate it was highly recommended we MAIL in our passport, itinerary, etc. which we did from our local Post Office which says this is very common. It seems some offices only take 20 admissions a day and it was worth the extra few $$ to mail it in. It was received back within two weeks.. I think ours was $140.00 each..because we mailed it in. Otherwise we would have had to go into dowtown Boston, find a parking spot or gone into a parking lot which would have cost us more $$$.. Yes, I would copy your passport before sending it in

Passports are meant for visas, not for hiding in a safe. Let it do what it was designed for.

If you happen to have dual nationality, it may be cheaper to use your other passport as the brasilian immigrations rules were set up as a result of the US setting up their own such fees.

Anybody know if Brazil is still photographing and fingerprinting all americans?

We got a visa for our Amazon cruise in Feb & we were not fingerprinted.

Don't forget about Yellow Fever shots as well. Look into it now & they are not inexpensive either.

Jan in Michigan

HERE IS a free hint..lol. ask your insurance company if they willcover the shots as "preventative".. ours did..we got YF, Hepatitis and Tetnus. We were not fingerprinted.. and a word of advice I think there were two cruisers who went through Princess for their Visas and they never arrived and Princess was helpless and they missed the ship

Archived