What cool stuff or travel gadgets do you take on a cruise?

sam1148

GreenZolie...

Love the towelettes idea; I see them in the local $ store all the time. I'll have to pick some up and throw them in my purse. thanks.

I've never seen them in the dollar store, or any other retail store, but apparently they are available. Are the ones you saw at the dollar store the same brand? If so, you should snap them up, because I think I paid $10 for my bag of 50!

One other cool thing about them: the bag of 50 comes with a travel tube that holds about 10 of them.

I bring an over the door shoe bag it has about 12 or 15 pockets designed to hold shoes, however, i put it on the back of the cabin door and use it for razors disposible cameras, first aid supplies, deodorant, and hair brushes, hair clips, clothes pins, duct tape, whatever you want in each pocket. At the end of the cruise it folds flat to go in either of my dirty things or in the regular luggage.

I also bring a colapsable duffle bag, holds dirty laundry or lots of trinkets i buy on shore. Fits right in the top of your suit case. Granted you have just 1 more thing when leaving the ship, but oh well.....:D

Can be found in the laundry supply isle of most stores. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target. Cost is about $10.00. It has now become a valuable piece of my luggage. Comes in clear or colors. Check for hanging system or get 2 hooks that you can put thru the holes to hang over the door.

This is a great idea. My shoes always take up so much space in my luggage but somehow I can never take less than 4 pairs!

I will be taking this with me.

Belkin Mini Power strip plus 2 USB ports for charging camera/ipod/etc

21512.BZ103050fcTVL_3.jpg

I have one of those too - it's best thing ever - at home or traveling!

I love gadgets!

A clever shoe I plan to buy and take on the next cruise is the snap on shoes. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post brands, so I will leave the name off, and just describe them. You buy one shoe bottom, and then a bunch of different snap on tops, to match various outfits. So, I can take ONE pair of shoes, and a bunch of tops, which take up a lot less room than a bunch of shoes! The soles are expensive, but once you buy the first one, you don't need to buy more unless you want a different heel. Clever idea someone came up with!

Just as long as they don't have skates on them!!LOL

Just as long as they don't have skates on them!!LOL

Oh, lord no! I'd be falling all over the place on wheels. :D

I guess that's what you meant about skates? What do skates have to do with interchangeable shoes, though? I think I am missing something. Enlighten me! :)

Gotta have my crock pot - and my weber smokey joe if I have a balcony.:D :cool:

As far as rum runners, they are more popular on other lines that have stricter enforcement of booze rules. IMO they are a waste of money and effor for one bottle. Wrap it up in bubble wrap and stick in a big zip lock, then place in the middle of your checked bag.

They make sense for very expensive booze, but I would call bon voyage if I wanted quality over quantity.

Ditto! Nothing like carrying a library with you in one flat package!! :D

I really wanted a kindle. But the Digital Rights Management bothers me. If you OWN a book you can keep it forever..lend it out..donate it..etc.

With DRM the book has to verified periodically Via Amazon's servers to authorize playing on the device your using.

I just wonder how long an investment in dozens of book would last before Amazon decides not to support their servers and your library is worthless.

Or the inevitable technology change and corporate decides not to pay for up keep of authorizing servers. Do you still use VHS tapes? At lest those didn't have to 'phone home' to have them play.

It's happened before..I think wal-mart did digital music with DRM a few years back and then decided to shut down their DRM services...results was all the music purchased through them was useless unless the user burned them to CD. (citation).

A simple sports bottle to filled with ice to take on excursions or to use while lounging by the pool (maybe with a little vanilla vodka and lemonade in it or peach schnapps and iced tea). We also take our walkie-talkies to communicate while we are separated on the ship.

GreenZolie...

Love the towelettes idea; I see them in the local $ store all the time. I'll have to pick some up and throw them in my purse. thanks.

I hope you pay for them before you throw them in your purse or you will not be enjoying your next cruise.:D :D :D :p

Mine leaks too. But you can get them with inserts, which don't leak. I which I could find a 6 pack leak proof cooler, because that's the thing I use most.

We stay in the cabin a lot..and the ice bucket just doesn't hold ice long enough.

Especially in the morning or late night when I just want some juice I bring and don't feel like calling and waiting for 'ice service'.

Carnival online sells are really neat 6 pack foldable cooler, it comes with other things too. I got the one with the coca cola, water bottle and a visor cap.

For a nightlight in the room, I leave the bathroom light on and the light that comes from under the door is just the right amount. I can't see taking a nightlight when you do not have enough sockets in the room, it is a waste of space to me.

Edited by Chacooe

I like to bring my GPS ! I like to go on the top deck and see where we are, how fast we're going etc. Good to have if you go exploring / hiking in a town on your own and forget how to get back to port! LOL

I really wish I had a GPS with me on my recent Victory cruise. We passed so many different islands and I really wanted to know what they were. The "ship location map" on the TV is inaccurate. Plus it doesn't show nearly all the islands in the area. I don't know how many times I stood out on my balcony at night looking at a passing island and wondering what it was.

These are NOT neat gadgets. . . just things I've picked up from experience.

Extra camera batteries and film or memory card. They are really expensive on board or in port!

Water cameras are much cheaper at WalMart or target than on board.

Water shoes or aqua socks cost $10-$12 at home. They will save your feet if you are walking on a rocky beach or a really really hot deck!

Faux candle if you want a little mood lighting on your balcony. Real candles do not stay lit very well and cruise lines frown upon open flames!

I've never seen them in the dollar store, or any other retail store, but apparently they are available. Are the ones you saw at the dollar store the same brand? If so, you should snap them up, because I think I paid $10 for my bag of 50!

One other cool thing about them: the bag of 50 comes with a travel tube that holds about 10 of them.

Hmm, I don't know if they are the same brand, haven't looked at them that close. The concept is the same, tho, so I'll give them a try. Even when not travelling, just running around town, they might be handy to have.

...okay, I just checked the website you sent, they aren't the same brand but the same concept. It's more like a washcloth that grows when it is wet. when dry, it's very small like the ez towel. and if I remember right, the price was 2 for a $1.

Edited by oceanbums
add info

Years ago it was recommended on the boards to bring a clear pocket shoe holder (the kind you hang from a door). I've been taking it ever since. For a family in small quarters, you use it to hold everything that would be sitting on the dresser (brushes, hair ties, jewelry, make-up, etc.) Also take a folding hamper.

Learned of some additional great ideas on this post! Keep them coming!

Beside all my toys laptop, camcorders, cameras...I must have my projection clock with me anyone that has one knows how lovely it is not to have your spouse crawling over you to see the time or rubbing the eyes trying to see the cell phone time.