What cool stuff or travel gadgets do you take on a cruise?

sam1148

I am 'borrowing' this idea from an older post that I came across but thought it was a great idea, so wanted to pass it along.

I journal about each vacation I go on, but am going to add this idea to my journals. The idea is to bring along a small pair of scissors and some tape and cut out anything (they just specified shore excursions, but I think anything) that you do from the Dailly Carnival Fun and tape it into the journal. That way, when you are looking back on the activities you did, you can see the description and the cost from years gone by.

From the look of the cruise histories listed here, this looks like it was previously on the Carnival forum.

I get amazed by the items that people want to take with them on a cruise....and I tend to be an overpacker.:rolleyes:

You may want to check out your cruise line's website and get a sense for items that aren't necessary or forbidden.

For example, bungee cords to keep the balcony door open? On many ships, doing this will screw up the AC for your area of cabins.

Large super-sized clothes pins. They are great for keeping your towel from blowing away at the pool, hanging your wet swimsuit to the back of a chair on the balcony to dry or to hang wet things in your shower on the line. You can get them at Kohl's for about $12. They have a penguin or an animal on them, but you can get a package of 6 plain ones at the dollar store and they work just as well.

Zip-locks of all sizes. Great for my clean clothes when I arrive, and all my dirty clothes when I leave. I even get the 2 1/2-3 gal for the men's shoes or for a top and shorts. Saves tons of time in packing and unpacking, but I use them for just about everything. I put one in the safe with my cell phone, wallet with extra credit cards, etc. One goes into the desk drawer with small bills for room service tips so I don't have to scramble looking for tip money. I use the it for my tips at the port prior to boarding and as we leave too. When we took a cruise to Europe, we used one of these for each port (stick on mailing label on outside). It had our confirmation from the guide, money (euros) for each tour and tip. Each morning, we just grabbed the plastic zip-lock bag and threw it in our bag.

Cooling cloths. You can get them at any sporting goods store. We even had a couple of them we found at a dollar store. When activated with water they will help keep you cool. Great for beach or on a tour of ruins..anywhere you are out in the sun in the heat during the summer. You can wash them in you sink in the cabin and they are good to go for the next time.

Power Cube

Cork Screw. You can get room service to provide you with one, but they suck and bust easily.

I have a clothes line I made from bungee cords. :)

I came up with the idea because I wasn't seeing any camping or travel clotheslines that I liked. It's great for any kind of hand laundry, but especially if you have the items on hangers, they will each stay where you placed them instead of the weight carrying them all to the middle.

Two comments about the Belkin surge protector shown above. First off, be sure that it is rated for 110/240, so that you can use it in international hotels (with a plug adapter). Second, the small size means that it really doesn't help much if you have "block" chargers that need to be plugged in - the outlets are too close together, so you lose any multiplier effect.

I have been quite happy with this 4 outlet strip from Monster. Although the device says 110, the manufacturer certifies it for 240v and I have used it internationally with no problems at all. The outlets are well spaced, so multiple camera battery charger "blocks" can be used at the same time, and the two sided design prevents conflicts. The wall plug illuminates when it has power, so you have a visual reinforcement (especially good in foreign hotels where the power outlets have an on/off switch).

Amazon link CLICK HERE.

I love gadgets! Love the twisty rain hat. Clever.

I bought some cool expandable towelettes. Un-expanded, they are hard, dry pellets the diameter of a quarter, and the thickness of about 6 stacked quarters. Pour water over one, or run it under running water, etc, and it expands into this cool little towelette about 8"x8". They are great for wiping off hands after eating or applying sun screen, etc. When we were on shore, they worked great for wiping our hot faces and necks. We just used a little bit of our drinking water to expand them. They are strong and don't fall apart.

A clever shoe I plan to buy and take on the next cruise is the snap on shoes. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post brands, so I will leave the name off, and just describe them. You buy one shoe bottom, and then a bunch of different snap on tops, to match various outfits. So, I can take ONE pair of shoes, and a bunch of tops, which take up a lot less room than a bunch of shoes! The soles are expensive, but once you buy the first one, you don't need to buy more unless you want a different heel. Clever idea someone came up with!

The person who invented this was actually a flight attendant.

Two comments about the Belkin surge protector shown above. First off, be sure that it is rated for 110/240, so that you can use it in international hotels (with a plug adapter). Second, the small size means that it really doesn't help much if you have "block" chargers that need to be plugged in - the outlets are too close together, so you lose any multiplier effect.

I have been quite happy with this 4 outlet strip from Monster. Although the device says 110, the manufacturer certifies it for 240v and I have used it internationally with no problems at all. The outlets are well spaced, so multiple camera battery charger "blocks" can be used at the same time, and the two sided design prevents conflicts. The wall plug illuminates when it has power, so you have a visual reinforcement (especially good in foreign hotels where the power outlets have an on/off switch).

Amazon link CLICK HERE.

I thought the same thing. It's not spaced wide enough. I have no problem with my power strip.

I have the "monster" travel power strip that FlyerTalker posted, or maybe the one with the USB charging port as well. I paid ~$15 for it, also from Amazon. I couldn't find it to go with us on our latest cruise but found locally, for $4-5: a short "standard" strip that worked just fine... in the 110V outlets only. I also carry one or two of the European-US adapters --

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-EU-6PK-American-European-Adapter/dp/B0036VJ1OQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421468983&sr=1-4&keywords=american+to+european+adapter

to handle an additional 110V/240V device in the Euro outlet(s).

I take collapsible half-liter bottles to refrigerate the ship's water.

http://www.amazon.com/Vapur-0-5-Litres-Anti-Bottle-Blue/dp/B002M0EDG8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421469151&sr=8-4&keywords=collapsible+water+bottle

I take Crystal-lite Mojito mix to blend with the refrigerated water and the rum I buy for the room!

I take an extra clothesline, even if the ship's tub is reported to have a retractable clothesline -- esp. if the ship has public washing machines, because then I'm apt to have too many drip-dry items for one line. Also a dozen plastic clothespins even though this line doesn't necessarily need them.

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Clothesline-Size/dp/B003MU9JZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421469319&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+clothesline

I carry magnets and/or Command strips to attach a map and a calendar to either the walls (if magnetic as reported on Cruise Critic) or to a smooth surface such as the glass over a mounted picture on the wall.

I take an expandable file folder with a pocket for every port (or maybe two ports per pocket, considering that our upcoming transatlantic+mediterranean has SIXTEEN ports!!!). I use it to bring home the dailies and any other paper momentos.

We take my DH's Kindle and my Samsung Note3 with plenty of reading material loaded on them. The Note3 is also my alarm clock, notepad, and camera! (flashlight, magnifying glass... etc)

Thanks so much aggieastrosfan!!!!

What about bring alcohol on board? Is it possible? I'm talking about some beer and one bottle of Jack Daniels?

Neither are allowed. Have your read the documentation on your cruise line site or your cruise contract. Only wine is allowed and there are severe limitations on that.

DON

Neither are allowed. Have your read the documentation on your cruise line site or your cruise contract. Only wine is allowed and there are severe limitations on that.

WRONG.

Completely depends on the cruiseline you are sailing. A number of lines have no restriction whatsoever on bringing liquor aboard.

To make a blanket statement like that does not help readers. Far better to state "Some lines restrict alcohol brought aboard. Check your specific cruiseline's regulations for details."

I always bring a WiFi decoder. It basically pulls in signals from a great distance. That coffee shop in port that has free WiFi if you buy something, I can use that WiFi on the ship sans password. Its pretty much free WiFi on-board on port days. Kinda like a rum-runner for WiFi

:eek:

Mine leaks too. But you can get them with inserts, which don't leak. I which I could find a 6 pack leak proof cooler, because that's the thing I use most.

We stay in the cabin a lot..and the ice bucket just doesn't hold ice long enough.

Especially in the morning or late night when I just want some juice I bring and don't feel like calling and waiting for 'ice service'.

We ask a cabin steward to always keep ice in our room. We will use one of the trashcans as an ice chest. Just cover it up with towels to keep it cold and it works pretty good.

I second the over the door shoe rack for storage of toiletries and misc stuff...did that on the one cruise I've taken and it worked great! Also, I'd like to suggest a collapsible storage shelf to hang in the closet...takes up almost no room in luggage and really helped organize our stuff. Lots of good ideas on this thread that I'll be using for my upcoming cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1421947905.676703.jpg.d3e64e29fa951ff10d3d2ad5b118e009.jpg

There are 5 shelves in the closet and a dresser with drawers, along with night stands, each with a drawer. We've never found a need to carry anything extra to hold/store our clothes (especially when there are only two to a cabin). We asked the cabin steward for a few extra hangers. That's it.

I looked on amazon for the Belkin thing and ended up ordering the fancy version that is twice as big by mistake....then I read there is an outlet behind the bed that takes a European plug....my husband is telling me i'm nuts as he is moving the bed saying that it does not look like an outlet...well....I just sat there repeating one of the do hickeys that came in that box would solve this problem.....he finally agreed to check and fixed it all up so I did not have to use an extra cord for anything...apnea machine,2 nooks,3 phones....one to play white noise...and a small box fan....that little box is a workhorse!

plan to get one for my night stand to rearrange the plug ins to work better for me...

I really wanted a kindle. But the Digital Rights Management bothers me. If you OWN a book you can keep it forever..lend it out..donate it..etc.

With DRM the book has to verified periodically Via Amazon's servers to authorize playing on the device your using.

I just wonder how long an investment in dozens of book would last before Amazon decides not to support their servers and your library is worthless.

Or the inevitable technology change and corporate decides not to pay for up keep of authorizing servers. Do you still use VHS tapes? At lest those didn't have to 'phone home' to have them play.

It's happened before..I think wal-mart did digital music with DRM a few years back and then decided to shut down their DRM services...results was all the music purchased through them was useless unless the user burned them to CD. (citation).

I've had my kindle library since 2009 nothing's been deactivated or removed. I'd go for it. I love it.

Carnival online sells are really neat 6 pack foldable cooler, it comes with other things too. I got the one with the coca cola, water bottle and a visor cap.

For a nightlight in the room, I leave the bathroom light on and the light that comes from under the door is just the right amount. I can't see taking a nightlight when you do not have enough sockets in the room, it is a waste of space to me.

Most use something battery operated like those tap lights and such.

Hmm, I don't know if they are the same brand, haven't looked at them that close. The concept is the same, tho, so I'll give them a try. Even when not travelling, just running around town, they might be handy to have.

...okay, I just checked the website you sent, they aren't the same brand but the same concept. It's more like a washcloth that grows when it is wet. when dry, it's very small like the ez towel. and if I remember right, the price was 2 for a $1.

Those are actual wash cloths. They come in all sorts of character prints. I buy them at dollar tree for my kids.