Older parent's on RC

My parents have been sailing HAL for twenty or more years. As their son I' am trying to see if they would like the change to RC. Mom 77, Dad 82. Can you tell me your thoughts and anything about Mariner for there age group. Thanks...

Mariner is a lovely ship. There are lots of activities, but also many places where they could sit and enjoy music, food, entertainment. My mother is 85 and I would definitely take her on Mariner ... if for no other reason than I know she would love Captain Johnny!

Hard to say if they're used to HAL. There is a big service difference between HAL and RCCL. (Sorry but HAL has amazing service and food!) However, my parents (72 and 70) were pretty bored with HAL and much prefer the entertainment and activities on RCCL.

My parents loved the Mariner. They went with us in March 2009. They've never sailed HAL. They have sailed Celebrity, RCI, and Carnival. They loved them all.

They had an inside promenade room and really enjoyed people watching.

I think Mariner is a well run and well loved ship! :D

We brought my in laws on the Navigator a couple years ago after they had been on a Norwegian and the Sea and Caribbean Princess and they were blown away. We had to talk them into going with us on that cruise, we had to talk them out of going on Freedom with us the next year :eek:. I thought we had created a monster. They went on Explorer last year and also enjoyed it. They're in their late-late seventies.

My DW's parents are in their late and mid 80's, and were on the Mariner for the Around the Horn 46 night cruise...............and loved it!!

They stay in JS's and take in most evening shows, and many of the daily activities..........while we stay in an OS.........and love to read, and allow myself time to rejuvinate from still working at 65.

They are now Diamond Plus..........and enjoy the CL. It's great to see them enjoy themselves that much........at that age!!:)

Rick

My parents have been sailing HAL for twenty or more years. As their son I' am trying to see if they would like the change to RC. Mom 77, Dad 82. Can you tell me your thoughts and anything about Mariner for there age group. Thanks...

I have sailed the Mariner 3 times. I am a Senior and consider myself up there in years compared to many cruisers.

On my Mariner cruises there were many older people who made me feel young. They were all up well into the night at all the shows, sitting in the Promenade just relaxing and having a great time.

Captain Johnny seemed to know them well, so I assume they sail his ship often. ;)

And yes, they will love Captain Johnny.:D

Why not ask them what they'd like?

Excellent point.

I took my mom and dad on their first cruise in 2006. They were both in their 70s. Mom was restricted to a wheelchair. It was on the Mariner. They loved it. Like another said, it created cruise junkies. We were on the Legend with them less than a month later. A month after that they were on the Empress with my brother. We like the "promenade" class ships, but they loved the smaller Legend. They thought the Empress was a little too small. Ask them, and change your standards to match what they want to do. Don't miss the chance to go with them. I lost my dad to cancer on Father's Day in 2007. I always figured I had more time for more cruises. Make every minute count.

My early 80's parents have enjoyed all their RCCL cruises with us. They were on the Mariner a few years ago (with 12 others in our family) and loved everything. They also enjoyed a couple of Princess cruises. However, their real love is HAL. You just cannot beat the service that you get from HAL. ;)

PS - The only cruiseline that my parents have not enjoyed was Carnival. That was also a family cruise, and while the young adults loved the ship, nightlife, crew, etc., the parents and grandparents were not that crazy about the experience.

I took my my 81 year old Mom on HAL (she is a seasoned Celebrity, Princess and Rccl crusier), she loved HAL, actually I loved HAL too! The food is so much better and the beds are to die for! Also the cabins have many more and better amenities than RCCL, so if they are used to that, they may be disappointed.

Alohadad, maybe you should consider trying HAL with them?

Archived