New HMC article

bkreader

It sounds somewhat interesting, but I still think I won't be getting off the ship much that day. I think it's a crime to have a private island and expect passengers (who have already paid a good sum for their cruise) to pony up another $300 for a cabana, 60 bucks for a horsey ride, and so on. The problem with private islands is there's no competition and a totally captive audience.

I'm sure it will be fun for most passengers, but I may just choose to sit on my balcony and enjoy the empty ship.

Now that was really a very nice article with lots of information. There are pros and cons to the article we all know the pros, the con is the fact that now everyone will know are little secret and more people will be sailing Hal, which means prices will go up and the ship will get booked faster. Then there will be a LOT more kids not that I do not like kids, don't get me wrong but it is one of the reasons we like HAL. OH Well, I guess this is progress:(

It sounds somewhat interesting, but I still think I won't be getting off the ship much that day. I think it's a crime to have a private island and expect passengers (who have already paid a good sum for their cruise) to pony up another $300 for a cabana, 60 bucks for a horsey ride, and so on. The problem with private islands is there's no competition and a totally captive audience.

I'm sure it will be fun for most passengers, but I may just choose to sit on my balcony and enjoy the empty ship.

There is no reason to spend one penny at Half Moon Cay and still have a fabulous day on this slice of paradise.

Lounge chairs are complimentary; HAL provides everyone with beach towels from the ship and the barbeque is included. You can get iced water and iced tea at lunch and certainly a glass of water at any bar if you do not wish to buy a drink.

If you want, bring your own snorkel mask and you still have not spent any money but would spend the day on a gorgeous beach in the most breathtaking turquoise water.

You will miss SOOOO MUCH!!!!

You don't have to buy cabana...Buy clamshell for $9.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/181615695/181621729iJGbsm

We didn't even buy them.

Water was so beautiful , clear and warm ....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/181615695/181621486YWsvRR I don't even think we spent much time on the beach :) .

BBQ was nice http://community.webshots.com/photo/181615695/181621929ScZAXvand

after 1:30 PM there is special buy 1 get 1 free for drinks in this bar http://community.webshots.com/photo/181615695/181621655wnaWBr.

Enjoy!!!

I have to agree with s7s, giorgi and tatka. Yes you can spend some big bucks on the island if you book a cabana and butlet and activities. However, we plan on renting a clamshell for all of $9.00 and taking out snorkel gear with us and having a relaxing day on the beach.

I can't grab a cab at the other islands for less money than that.

No, actually HMC is better specifically because it is exclusive for HAL passengers. You don't have to spend one blessed dime on the island if you don't want to, and you'll still have an awesome time. I wouldn't dream of renting a cabana ... hell, I don't even rent water toys. The only money I've spent on HMC has been to go parasailing ... my choice ... and the price was very competitive with what I would have paid elsewhere.

Other than that ... and the cost of a couple of rum punches ... HMC was actually one of the cheaper port stops and it was truly a day in paradise. The barbecue lunch is free, transportation around the island is free, the beautiful beach is free ...

Don't cheat yourself out of HMC. Go ashore and enjoy. You can actually do so without spending any significant amount of money ... in fact, if you were really determined, I'm sure you can have an awesome time there without spending so much as a dime.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Now that the Cabanas have gotten a little pricey - yes we can afford it - but don't think it is worth the price as neither of us drink pop or beer and don't live on salsa & chips - we have found our own little bar area where we like to sit, sun, have a couple of drinks, DH swims, and do our own thing.

I just found out that the Zuiderdam will arrive at HMC on Christmas Eve day three hours before the Maasdam. I'm thinking this is not going to be the relaxing day that I had planned.:( What are the chances of my reserved clamshell still being there ... and can HAL really handle this crowd for lunch? I don't know about the Z, but the Maasdam has been sold out for some time now. Your thoughts please! (Less than 2 weeks before departure - we are getting VERY excited!)

I just found out that the Zuiderdam will arrive at HMC on Christmas Eve day three hours before the Maasdam. I'm thinking this is not going to be the relaxing day that I had planned.:( What are the chances of my reserved clamshell still being there ... and can HAL really handle this crowd for lunch? I don't know about the Z, but the Maasdam has been sold out for some time now. Your thoughts please! (Less than 2 weeks before departure - we are getting VERY excited!)
Linda & Vern,

I was on the Maasdam and we arrived at HMC on Nov. 1, 3 hours after the Oosterdam. It took us two hours to get to the island. Although we had to go pretty far down the beach, we were able to get our reserved clamshell. So if you're arriving 3 hours before the Maasdam, you should be fine.

Let me say that I think HMC would have been much nicer with just one ship.

I just booked a Cabana on HMC for 12/31/2004. It's the blue one with canvas sides. I liked the color.:D

Now all I need to decide is if I should get the butler.

DoctorFeelGood,

You confuse me. In your first post in this thread you complained about spending a lot of money on a private island. Then everyone pointed out how you could have a great time without spending much money. Now you say you've booked the cabana and you're considering the butler.

It's your money and you can choose to spend it as you wish. That's not my concern. But how come the change in attitude? Not challenging you, just curious.

something that i have read a few times here and there is that the clamshells "go fast" but what happens if i booked one before hand? It seems like eventhough i did prebook one, its first come first serve.

I am assuming since i already booked mine, i should be able to get one without rushing, correct?

Sorry to be so confusing... the point is not the money, I mean... It's a vacation... it's more that without your help I didn't see the benefit of stepping foot on HMC. However, after searching the topic on CC, the vast majority of members stated that HMC, and the cabanas in particular, were the highlight of their cruise.

Sorry to be so confusing... the point is not the money, I mean... It's a vacation... it's more that without your help I didn't see the benefit of stepping foot on HMC. However, after searching the topic on CC, the vast majority of members stated that HMC, and the cabanas in particular, were the highlight of their cruise.
If you're going to be spending $$$ on a cabana, make sure you have time to enjoy it. Unless you're in a suite you line up to get tender passes. On the Maasdam last month they started giving them out at 10:00 AM for an 11:00 AM arrival. I got there right around 10 and got a pass for tender #16. We didn't arrive on the island until 1:00 PM. I went scuba diving, returned at 3:45 PM and had about 45 minutes before returning to the ship.

The whole point of this is that I would arrive early to get a tender pass, so you don't have to wait 2 hours to get to the island.

Fortunately I'm in a suite, Cat S.

Also, didn't I read that Cabana-ites get priority tenders?

Thanks for all your help.... what do you think about the butler? :p

Cabana-ites don't get priority tender tickets, but S and PS category suites do. I'd definitely suggest you take advantage of that.

I've never had a cabana or butler. If I recall correctly, most people with cabanas didn't consider them worth the money. I'd suggest posting a question on the board regarding butlers if you're seriously considering it.

Cabana-ites don't get priority tender tickets, but S and PS category suites do. I'd definitely suggest you take advantage of that.

I've never had a cabana or butler. If I recall correctly, most people with cabanas didn't consider them worth the money. I'd suggest posting a question on the board regarding butlers if you're seriously considering it.

ahhhhh..... thanks.... I think I may have over-read the HAL description of the Cabana:

"Enjoy the ultimate in luxury during your stay on Half Moon Cay with the use of your own private cabana. Board the first tender ashore, or have priority tender use, to maximize your time by being the first guests to arrive."

See, the way I was reading it, it sounds like "being the first to arrive" was part of the Cabana features. That paragraph is a potentially misleading. Thanks for your clarification, I might have been disappointed.

ahhhhh..... thanks.... I think I may have over-read the HAL description of the Cabana:

"Enjoy the ultimate in luxury during your stay on Half Moon Cay with the use of your own private cabana. Board the first tender ashore, or have priority tender use, to maximize your time by being the first guests to arrive."

See, the way I was reading it, it sounds like "being the first to arrive" was part of the Cabana features. That paragraph is a potentially misleading. Thanks for your clarification, I might have been disappointed.

Actually, I probably assumed, and we know what that means. It sounds like you get a priority tender pass because of your cabana and because of your suite.

You could conceivably make it to HMC before the ship.:D

No... actually, the way I read it now, I think YOUR first impression was right. It sounds to me like they are merely suggesting that you finagle (sp?) priority tender passes so that you can make the most of your day in the cabana.

I hope other Cabana-ites know this.

No... actually, the way I read it now, I think YOUR first impression was right. It sounds to me like they are merely suggesting that you finagle (sp?) priority tender passes so that you can make the most of your day in the cabana.

I hope other Cabana-ites know this.

I think it was written by a member of the ministry of misinformation.

Regardless, suite passengers definitely do get priority tender passes.

Archived