Interested in Crystal, boyfriend wants Silverseas

sophiemarigold

Many of the TA's who specialize in luxury cruise (and even some who dont') belong to large travel consortiums such as Signature, American Express, Virtuoso and Ensemble. They do large volumes of business with Crystal. As such, Crystal passes on benefits to them which are passed onto their clients. One of these is pre-paid tips. So, on all of our Crystal cruises our tips are prepaid at the recommended levels for our waiter, assistant waiter, stewardess and butler if we are in a suite.

I don't find open seating or set seating to be a generational issue. Rather I see it as a preference. As I've mentioned before my wife and I are fine with open seating and we are fine with fixed seating. What I've found when it comes to open seating is that the reality is most people dine at around 7:00 PM or 7:30 PM. For us, we have a table for tw during the early seating. Because it is the two of us we can show up after the seating begins if we so choose. If we want to dine with others many times our table can be made larger or the Maitre D' can move us to another table that is open or we can dine in a Specialty Restaurant.

While there are some who only want open seating, there are others who want fixed seating because they want to have the same servers and tablemates each evening. They like having the same servers because the servers know their preferences so it makes ordering easier.

My wife and I are flexible. Yes, we do love five star+ service but for us we can obtain that from a line such as Crystal that has fixed seating and wine/alcohol checks that we sign for and we have also experienced it on other lines such as Seaborn with no alcohol checks to sign and open seating.

In the end, each cruise line provides different amenities. On Crystal they provide amentities that other lines might not provide and other lines might provide something that Crystal does not provide. We like the diversity and sometimes like to change it up. That's true of the ships. We like different ships for different reasons.

Crystal IMHO is as much a part of this century than one that has open seating and alcohol included.

Finally, I want to highlight again that each cruise line provides items that the other doesn't from the food to the entertainment and activities. I focus on the half glass being full. When I am on Seabourn I do not focus on what Crystal provides that Seabourn doesn't. And at some point when I sail on Regent I will do likewise. I will be sailing on Silversea in a couple of weeks and will also do likewise. And when I am on Crystal I don't focus on what the other one might provide. Diversity is good. So, I try to hold true on my posts about the luxury lines.

Keith

What don't you understand about pre-paid gratuities? It's simple. The gratuities go to those who normally get the tips, even on the mass market lines. So, it's the waiter, butler, assistant waiter and room stewardess. If you want to slip a little something to a bar waiter or whomever, that's up to you. My TA belongs to Ensemble and pays for the gratuities. We also get at least one free shore excursion, at least one on board party including drinks, and a bottle of wine. These perks are offered on many lines, not just the luxury ones.

And another thing, I absolutely do not understand this whole business of signing. What's with that? It's not like it takes forever, it's not like it's a "worry". You're just signing your name, usually just a scribble. Sorry, but that's the part I just don't get---signing your name is no biggie in the scheme of things.

Thank you for explaining who typically receives tips. Could you also explain how you can use your on board credit to tip specific crew members (like someone in the bar, etc.) A bit of my confusion (besides never having been on a ship that has tipping) is that some people, for instance, in a lounge, are tipping in cash, some may be using OBC or ??? Wouldn't it seem to the bartender or server that you are not tipping -- but, the person next to you is? Could that affect service?

We used Virtuoso for a couple of years and received the shore excursion, cocktail party, etc. We changed to a TA that provides other types of benefits.

Signing, in general, is not a big deal. We are just accustomed to not signing for anything on board the ship. When on board, there are many of us (from CruiseCritic and another board) that get together in one of the lounges before dinner to chat -- discuss the day, etc. People are popping in and out -- picking up drinks for each other. . . sometimes ordering a drink and walking away for 10 minutes. . . . not having to think about whether or not you signed for your drink feels like another benefit of cruising. After a day or so, the servers in the restaurant know whether you prefer wine, a cocktail or soft drink and simply bring it to the table when they see you walk in. The same thing happens in the lounges.

So, for us, the bottom line is that Crystal is the top rated ship in the luxury category (by a small margin) -- there is absolutely nothing negative I can say about it (nor would I want to). However, we prefer the ship size, open seating and all-inclusive environment of Regent. It does not make it better or worse -- just different.

Thank you for explaining who typically receives tips. Could you also explain how you can use your on board credit to tip specific crew members (like someone in the bar, etc.) A bit of my confusion (besides never having been on a ship that has tipping) is that some people, for instance, in a lounge, are tipping in cash, some may be using OBC or ??? Wouldn't it seem to the bartender or server that you are not tipping -- but, the person next to you is? Could that affect service?

We used Virtuoso for a couple of years and received the shore excursion, cocktail party, etc. We changed to a TA that provides other types of benefits.

Signing, in general, is not a big deal. We are just accustomed to not signing for anything on board the ship. When on board, there are many of us (from CruiseCritic and another board) that get together in one of the lounges before dinner to chat -- discuss the day, etc. People are popping in and out -- picking up drinks for each other. . . sometimes ordering a drink and walking away for 10 minutes. . . . not having to think about whether or not you signed for your drink feels like another benefit of cruising. After a day or so, the servers in the restaurant know whether you prefer wine, a cocktail or soft drink and simply bring it to the table when they see you walk in. The same thing happens in the lounges.

So, for us, the bottom line is that Crystal is the top rated ship in the luxury category (by a small margin) -- there is absolutely nothing negative I can say about it (nor would I want to). However, we prefer the ship size, open seating and all-inclusive environment of Regent. It does not make it better or worse -- just different.

Travelcat, rather than tipping in cash you can just fill out a form and turn it in towards the end of the cruise to the reception desk. On that form you indicate if you would like to add any additional tips to those that you are already getting prepaid tiips for and you can indicate others. Many of the positions are already preprinted on the form plus you can also write down specific names. And if you want to give to a crew fund you can do that too. All of this is then charged to your account so that your on board credits can be used for all of this. At the end of the cruise you get preprinted cards showing the tips for each person and you can put them in individual envelopes and hand them to each person. But, if that is something you don't want to do then you don't need to as those receiving the tip will get a computer printout showing the amount of the tip and who received it. This works very well for everyone.

As to drinks when you order a drink you receive a bill which you just sign. It already has the tip.

Now for anyone who wants to give tips in cash for whatever reason they can do that.

On Crystal the whole signing process is handled very professionally in a low key manner. We meet others on Crystal to have pre dinner drinks and it is really no big deal. For us, it is no different than having pre dinner drinks on say a Seabourn cruise. We can come and go as we like. We have sat with some large groups. It's really no big deal.

Maybe you will try Crystal some time. Then you'll see things first hand.

No different then when I had a lot of questions about Seabourn and their approaches. Once I sailed on the line that is when I understood how it works a lot better than someone telling me about say open seating or about hosted tables.

Keith

I'd like to add my take on why Crystal is giving out OBCs rather than going all inclusive. This is a temporary allowance due to the current state of the economy which will certainly be withdrawn as soon as the economy improves along with all the huge sales we are seeing among the luxury lines. If they were to go all inclusive that could not be withdrawn as easily since it becomes a company policy rather than an incentive.

Henry, many luxury cruise lines are adding extras because of the economy. I never try to predict what any of the cruise lines will do. In the meantime, Crystal is offering an OBC for each and every 2010 cruise and for many in 2009. When the 2011 pricing is available we'll see what happens then. In the meantime, we can focus on the remainder of 2009 and 2010.

Keith

Keith,

I agree it's best to focus on what is before us. As you say many (indeed all) the luxury lines are now adding benefits because of the economy. These benefits are incentives to book and I still think incentives can be withdrawn at any time. All inclusive is more of a policy and cannot be so easily withdrawn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sophie, is your debate resolved yet? I'm sure you'll have lots of ideas from the useful posts above. You didn't mention some details that might be helpful, like your general age group and where in the world you are thinking about cruising. My husband and I just turned 40 and have cruised with Crystal and Regent as well as with Star Clippers (small 200 passenger sailing vessels, very casual, perhaps a bit like a less-luxurious SeaDream), the Princess small ships (a step below luxury), and mass market lines. I would suggest you decide first where you want to go and whether you want a port-intensive itinerary or a more relaxing one. Personally, if I am going to be at sea quite a lot or am travelling to an area with cooler/wetter weather, I favour Crystal because there is so much that interests me on board - the enrichment lectures, ballroom dance lessons, and opportunities to learn a language or to play the piano. Dressing up at night takes time and is another fun distraction. The larger ships just have more space and more options; I like to be busy and get a bit claustrophobic without space to move. So, I chose Crystal in the past for an autumn eastern seaboard cruise and an upcoming Norway/Arctic cruise. I found Regent to be a lot like Crystal but a step down in enrichment, service etc; the major advantage there is the "all-inclusive" policy if you don't like having to sign for everything (I agree with other posters that it isn't a financial benefit right now given Crystals very generous shipboard credits). On the other hand, small ships can visit smaller islands/ports so, for example, in the Caribbean, Italy, Croatia, South Pacific, or SE Asia I would tend to try a smaller ship like SeaDream, Seabourne or Star Clippers (we LOVED the sailing) - these are all places with great weather so you want to be out on deck or in port most of the time and may not need all the extra space and enrichment activities, and it's really nice to visit a smaller port where you may be the only ship in town and people are actually excited to see you.

Archived