Should we eat while on Grand Cayman?

1sttimecruzin

We are scheduled to do Stingray City in the morning while we are in port, & I was wondering if we should make an effort to eat at a restaurant while in Grand Cayman or should we just go back to the boat to eat...

I guess I'm wondering if there is a must not miss spot to eat while we are onshore.

TIA,

Jill

Grand Cayman is a tender port, which means you take a small boat between the cruise ship and the pier. Boarding can take a little longer with a tender than if it was a dock, so if you try to go back to the ship for lunch you may end up using up more of your port time than anticipated. Personally, I'd eat in town somewhere...there's lots of great restaurants!

Could you recommend some of these great restaurants and describe there fare

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

There are dozens and dozens of restaurants within a reasonable distance of the port, and I haven't found a bad one yet. Most restaurants listed in either Georgetown or Seven Mile Beach will be relatively easy to get to from the port. The site shows menus, hours, location, links to websites, etc. You can search by location and/or food type.

In March, after doing the Singray/snorkel tour with Moby Dick, we had lunch and a few Cay-brews at Rackmans, about a 5 minute walk from the pier (come out of the pier, turn left, it's on the water side. Casual, open air place - great conch fritters! Not cheap, but a good meal. Good luck!:)

Thanks so much for all of the advice! It sounds like it would be a real hassle to get back to the boat just to eat lunch. We booked a morning tour so that we would have time to do some shopping in the afternoon (gotta buy the rum!). So, I guess we'll plan on have lunch on the island, too.

I'm looking for a unique restaurant with a real Caribbean feel & taste. Any suggestions? I have heard good things about Rackman's.

...We booked a morning tour so that we would have time to do some shopping in the afternoon (gotta buy the rum!)...

Be careful about waiting too long for the rum purchase. All duty free alcohol purchases must be delivered to your ship. Shops set a cut off time for sales that may be some time before the last tender. You are better off to make a quick stop in the morning to place your order.

• 3 weeks later...

We shopped in the morning (and of course bought our liquor to be delivered to the ship) and took a tender back around lunchtime, dropped off our stuff ate in the windjammer and went back to the beach.

It took us about an hour from the time we left the pier to tender to the ship, eat, freshen up and get back.

I didn't experience any of the island restaurants but we were with some cruise veterans who said paid about $75 for some nachos and beers somewhere.

We just got back and ate at Coconut Joe's which is a cute local place. It was good but VERY expensive. 3 of us. 2 had burgers and fries and 1 had jerk chicken. 3 drinks.. over $90 US dollars with tip. Also got a drink at Margartiville for 5 people and it was over $75.00. I love Grand Cayman but it is expensive..

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the expensive comments. Had nachos, small pizza and four margaritas for the four of us - $90 - at Margaritaville. There was a nice little cafe/bar next to the water about 1/2 mile from the tender pier - go right - I think it is called Paradise Bar. Food and beverage prices seemed a little more reasonable and has a nice view of the water and harbor area. People were snorkeling off of the rocks here and you could see some of the big fish swimming close in - tarpin I was told.

• 1 month later...

We loved "Breezes" it sits across from the shipping yard and doesn't have a big flashy sign out front.. you have to look on the side of the building to even notice they have food. But it was Delicious.. it was the most flavorful meal I had in a while. It has a great Caribbean flare with decore and the staff was awesome... I think prices were not bad... they had a wonderful coconut shrimp dinner for around $15. And I highly recommend their Lime Mohjito !!!!

• 3 months later...

I can tell you where NOT to go.. don't go to a place called Hammerheads.. its close to the dock but very expensive..not that great food.. expensive drinks and we waited over an hour for our food and we had just ordered appetizers. We went there because my bf wanted to try conch..wish we would have shopped instead. Plus their umbrellas on tables arent that steady...one blew off and hit me in the ahnd and my bf in the back of the head.. they gave the table on which the umblress blew off of their entire meal free because a drink got spilled..not us, the ones who got hit!! Hope you find a place you will enjoy!

Archived