What are the DRAWBACKS of ES??

The PVP told me on the phone we would get price reductions up until the final payment date 60 days out. He told me I could call and check once a week or however often I wanted to or check online. If the price of the cruise goes down, he told me our price would lower as well.

See post prior to this one.....

I would get it in writing....

Even if just in an email.

See post prior to this one.....

I would get it in writing....

Even if just in an email.

Going to have to agree with Big D on this one. Please get it in writing from your PVP. Unfortuantely, PVPs seem to leave Carnival fairly often and if your's leaves there will be nothing to prove what he told you.

A group of us will be cruising in Jan. We're all in our mid 30's with young children. We decided no early saver due to the non-refundable deposit. That would be a loss of $400 per couple. The group price they gave us was only $80 more per cabin than ES and they will still give us price reductions up until final payment, so that worked better for us. With small children, plans can change on a dime.

There is something I don't understand. First why would a change of plans (if you booked ES) be a loss of $400 per couple? It's $50 pp, does each couple have 6 kids? Also, I would absolutely get the price reduction up statement in writing. This seems to be contrary to everyone else's experience. I thought that part of the appeal (from Carnival's standpoint) to ES was that it's the only way to get the prcie reduction anymore. As a general rule, I have our PVP email me EVERYTHING!! and he's a great guy, I just always want to have a back up piece of info to validate whatever he says (kind of like saving a screen shot of a price drop when submitting a price protection form). It just makes things easier

Your perspective on things is regularly different than mine firefly.

Just curious. Why do you think the pricing for a cruise should not go up for that far in advance when they are taking a gamble on so many pricing variables? It seems to me Carnival is reasonable on this. Have the prices for other carriers 2011 rates gone down? I have not checked but seriously doubt it.

To the OP,

My perspective on this is......

If you plan to cruise again on Carnival.... Do it.

The only thing you can lose is the $50.00 change fee if you need to make a change of sailings. You can however gain if the pricing goes down up until 2 days before sailing.

For my money the good out weighs the bad all the way around.

Well, as you said your prescreptive is different than mine. I also want to work Voyager into spring time or late winter, so booking Ecstasy when I cant move the date boxes me in and makes it harder to get a deal on voyager which Im still waiting to book. I boxes myself in with Ecstasy the end of Jan 2010, and rates for mid Feb and Jan for Voyager are pretty awesome, $100 OBC plus $529 for 7 days, more for april.

So, Im just about to where Id rather wait for last minute. Besdies, last minute I have almost always gotten a better rate than the prices far out for the January time frame when last minute prices have fallen even year Iv been booking.

I have 6 cruises booked this year, so its very hard to sit on my hands, but decided to make myself wait and go on these and wait to book 2011, I can do flexible dates and senior rates, and almost always can get a better last minute deal than the prices Im seeing on Carnival. .... just how I see it.

We booked the Fantasy 5 night out of NOLA for September 28 for $219pp for a 6AOV. That is now running $329pp. We also booked a 6AOV (both cabins assigned) on the Fantasy 5 night out of Mobile for November 30 for $269pp. That cruise is now running $309pp for the same room. .

The cheapest I can find for Jan 2011 out of Galveston, 5 day on Ecstasy, are $299 a couple of cruises, most are $309 and up.... for a 4A. You are getting a OV for much less. If I could even book a inside for those prices I would grab it now, but for $299 on a 5 day, decided not worth boxing myself in. I want to save room to book Voyager out of Galveston too. RCL always comes thru with some great last minute rates.

I have booked the Splendor for 2/21/10 with 13 other ladies. We decided on the ES. As we all are getting cruise insurance, that $250 would still be refunded by the insurance if, for some reason, any one of us is unable to attend.

Question re price matching: I've seen several people mention this. Do you just keep checking prices for your cruise date and if the price goes down you contact your PVP? I'm assuming they won't automatically give it to you.

I have booked the Splendor for 2/21/10 with 13 other ladies. We decided on the ES. As we all are getting cruise insurance, that $250 would still be refunded by the insurance if, for some reason, any one of us is unable to attend.

Question re price matching: I've seen several people mention this. Do you just keep checking prices for your cruise date and if the price goes down you contact your PVP? I'm assuming they won't automatically give it to you.

You are correct.

No if you are booked early saver you need to fill out the early saver price drop form on the website. Fill it out and submit it, you should have your drop within 48 hours. If not, then call your pvp and have them check on it for you. They can pull it up and see if it's process or not.

There is something I don't understand. First why would a change of plans (if you booked ES) be a loss of $400 per couple? It's $50 pp, does each couple have 6 kids? Also, I would absolutely get the price reduction up statement in writing. This seems to be contrary to everyone else's experience. I thought that part of the appeal (from Carnival's standpoint) to ES was that it's the only way to get the prcie reduction anymore. As a general rule, I have our PVP email me EVERYTHING!! and he's a great guy, I just always want to have a back up piece of info to validate whatever he says (kind of like saving a screen shot of a price drop when submitting a price protection form). It just makes things easier

If we booked early saver the deposit would no longer be just $50 per person; it jumps to $200 per person and even though they say you can apply that to another cruise within the year, most people didn't want to risk it plus we get some group perks that made it worthwhile.

How many cabins did you book? It doesn't sound like he actually booked you as a group rate. Did you get any extras like OBC or anything?

We are booked as a group. We have 10 cabins on hold and everyone is booking this week. We get five amenity points which we are using as $100 OBC. We also get one cruise fare free if 8 cabins book, which we plan to divide among the group.

We are booked as a group. We have 10 cabins on hold and everyone is booking this week. We get five amenity points which we are using as $100 OBC. We also get one cruise fare free if 8 cabins book, which we plan to divide among the group.

Then you definintely need to get the price drop agreement in writing because group rates do not get price drops. Once you book and get your extras, you are locked into that rate, no adjustments.

Then you definintely need to get the price drop agreement in writing because group rates do not get price drops. Once you book and get your extras, you are locked into that rate, no adjustments.

Iv gotten rate reductions on a group rate once before, before my final payment, not after.

I have heard of others getting price drops but that they lost one of their perks if they took the price drop, so Im not sure its black and white. They may get price drops up until final payment but it could also affect their perks as a group.

On far away bookings you can always book fun select then switch to early saver later as the cruise gets a little closer and your plans get more finalized.

I didn't think you could do this?? Carnival says that early saver must be for new bookings only.

Early Saver:

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply.

I didn't think you could do this?? Carnival says that early saver must be for new bookings only.

Early Saver:

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply.

That may be what it says but that's not true. I switched from military to early saver, had to pay $4 more per person to do it though. If you aren't at final payment they cant' stop you from switching all they have to do is rewrite the booking then it's just like a new booking.

That may be what it says but that's not true. I switched from military to early saver, had to pay $4 more per person to do it though. If you aren't at final payment they cant' stop you from switching all they have to do is rewrite the booking then it's just like a new booking.

Yeah thats the only thing I don't like about the ES, is that Carnival says one thing, but they do something totally different. It just seems to depend on who you talk to on the phone there at Carnival. One PVP will do it, but another one won't. :confused::mad:I have read alot of posts on the ES and I am still not clear on everything.

Since there are no penalties to cancel other bookings it's easy to change rates before final payment. After that you can't switch because then you are in penalty phase.

Early saver is pretty simple and clear cut. It's just the process to get the price drops that's a mess. Some are going through no problem and some are having to keep on them with multiple calls.

There was a thead that if you booked more than 30 days priior they were no longer allowing you to transfer the booking. I think this applied to all rates, not just ES.

You're right.

This is as of May 1 of this year, even if you booked prior to this date.

I spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday with Carnival (no exaggeration) trying to get my reservation transferred to an outside agent.

There was a thead that if you booked more than 30 days priior they were no longer allowing you to transfer the booking. I think this applied to all rates, not just ES.

Yes - but that means you can still book with your PVP and transfer within 30 days of booking. The post I responded to said you can't transfer it - which is incorrect. You can - within 30 days of booking.

Hoiward

Yes - but that means you can still book with your PVP and transfer within 30 days of booking. The post I responded to said you can't transfer it - which is incorrect. You can - within 30 days of booking.

Hoiward

Sorry Charlie, the rules changed as of May 1 of this year. Prior to that you were able to switch from your pvp to a travel agent at any time up until your final payment. As of May 1, you cannot do that anymore, regardless of when you booked it. No where in any of Carnivals information sent to customers is the new policy stated. The "within 30 days" was just added May 1, therefore anyone who booked prior to that cannot switch, period. This is also (as of yesterday) not listed on Carnivals website, so again, unless you were psychic or knew of the CC website, you would not know about the new, unpublished, rules.

You cant downgrade. So, if there is a deal on a cabin one deck down, you cant move down a deck without paying the $50 pp. No guarantees, you pick a cabin and no upgrades.

As far as being cheaper. They came out with ES for Galveton finally and the ES is $20 pp more than the old rates which everyone thought were too high when they came out. So, I can pay more than Iv ever paid before for the same cabin .... and have zero flexibility. ... not too appealing to me. I decided to chance it for 2011 and not booking at those higher rates. le grrrr. I dont like the ES, wish they would go back to regular rates and giving you the price reduction up until you sailed like RCL does.

We are currently booked ES on the 6/28 Conquest sailing. A few weeks ago the prices for a Cat 8D Balcony dropped to less than our 6C Oceanview cabins. I called Carnival and asked if we could upgrade through ES to a better cabin rather than taking the OBC. Took me about 30 minutes on hold, but we have been upgraded from the Main Deck oceanview cabin to the Verandah Deck with a balcony. Our new cabin is still classified as ES and I'm waiting to hear back on my claim to get an additional $100 OBC that I just filed.

We are currently booked ES on the 6/28 Conquest sailing. A few weeks ago the prices for a Cat 8D Balcony dropped to less than our 6C Oceanview cabins. I called Carnival and asked if we could upgrade through ES to a better cabin rather than taking the OBC. Took me about 30 minutes on hold, but we have been upgraded from the Main Deck oceanview cabin to the Verandah Deck with a balcony. Our new cabin is still classified as ES and I'm waiting to hear back on my claim to get an additional $100 OBC that I just filed.

I am so jealous of posts like this!!! My cruises in Sept and Nov have done nothing but gone UP since I booked them. Man, you, and all others who have this price drop thing going on are sooooo lucky!!

Archived