What are the DRAWBACKS of ES??

Sorry Charlie, the rules changed as of May 1 of this year. Prior to that you were able to switch from your pvp to a travel agent at any time up until your final payment. As of May 1, you cannot do that anymore, regardless of when you booked it. No where in any of Carnivals information sent to customers is the new policy stated. The "within 30 days" was just added May 1, therefore anyone who booked prior to that cannot switch, period. This is also (as of yesterday) not listed on Carnivals website, so again, unless you were psychic or knew of the CC website, you would not know about the new, unpublished, rules.

Sorry, but I have it from firefly that it does not matter whatsoever whether something is stated or not stated in any rules or on the CCL website or even the Terms and Conditions of Early Saver that you agree to when booking. According to firefly, all that matters is the experience of Cruise Critic members - and that says you can transfer to an agent within 30 days of booking.

I can provide the link to firefly's post if you like. I stated the "rule" as it is today as provided in other threads by Cruise Critic members - as that is what is applicable/important for a booking done today.

Howard

We are considering Hawaii (again) on the Carnival Spirit. The ES is available, but air is not (through Carnival or privately). We don't want to pay a non-refundable deposit, then find our airfare is going to be through the roof. Carnival offers air this year at $799 - I would take that, but not available yet for our dates.

On far away bookings you can always book fun select then switch to early saver later as the cruise gets a little closer and your plans get more finalized. Since you are so far away from final payment, you'd get price drops with any of the options.

Something to consider for those that may be thinking of doing this. Early Saver rates for each category are limited to a specific amount of cabins. Once all of the alloted ES rates are used within the category that rate goes away. If you are booking a popular category or a popular sailing you may find that rate goes away quickly. I am booked on the Dream April 2010 cruise. I originally booked an 8C under the ES rates. That rate disappeared earlier this year.

We are currently booked ES on the 6/28 Conquest sailing. A few weeks ago the prices for a Cat 8D Balcony dropped to less than our 6C Oceanview cabins. I called Carnival and asked if we could upgrade through ES to a better cabin rather than taking the OBC. Took me about 30 minutes on hold, but we have been upgraded from the Main Deck oceanview cabin to the Verandah Deck with a balcony. Our new cabin is still classified as ES and I'm waiting to hear back on my claim to get an additional $100 OBC that I just filed.

I meant no FREE upgrades like you get with other fares AT THE TIME OF BOOKING, like past guest you almost always get FREE upgrades. With Early saver there is a particular price associated with a particular category. When I said no guarantees, I meant at the time of booking ES rates, you pick a cabin, and cant pick a guarantee category.

True, if your price drops, and there is a sale on another category for less than you paid you later on you can upgrade to the category that is now the price you paid. I was talking about when you first book, you pick a cabin in a particular category and ES doesnt offer free upgrades at the time Im booking, at least the two Iv booked.

We were talking apples and oranges. I need to put more iffs ands and butts when I make what I think is a simple sentence statement lol. btw congrats on the price drop. So far, my two ES rates havent dropped a dime, Im jealous :D If only mine would drop like yours!!

Archived