Reason for staying "On topic" - my two cents (and worth less than that!)

Rocket4Oh

I recently started reading a thread which was on a topic that I, obviously, was interested in. The thread had quite a few replies...4 or 5 pages worth and had strayed VERY far afield of the original topic. One comment about the straying was to the ilk of "Don't worry about it, it makes for interesting conversation".

While that is very true (the conversation had turned to the delicious food onbaord the Oceania ships..ummmm) those tidbits (with no calories) are lost to someone who wanted to know about the delicious food and who didn't read read this thread because it was on a totally different topic. Plus, even though there is a wealth of knowledge and experience being shared that I, as a new cruiser, find extremely helpful, it is time consuming to read all of the comments. {The positive side of spending the time to read all of the yaking is that I am saving on razor blades...not shaving as much...no time! ;)}

Talking about the Dress Code on Silverseas, I am against the smoking Policy on Seabourne while finding the colour of the Tenders on Easycruise quite offensive.

I also find it quite odd when people tell me what to write about and really odd when they do not.

I am also looking for the best route from Civitavecchia to Livorno by hot air balloon.

I hope that I have not taken you too far off the original thought but I am a "Rambling Man"

and I want to know what happened to Pan Am.

That should set the ball rolling.......

Brian

Talking about the Dress Code on Silverseas, I am against the smoking Policy on Seabourne while finding the colour of the Tenders on Easycruise quite offensive.

I also find it quite odd when people tell me what to write about and really odd when they do not.

I am also looking for the best route from Civitavecchia to Livorno by hot air balloon.

I hope that I have not taken you too far off the original thought but I am a "Rambling Man"

and I want to know what happened to Pan Am.

That should set the ball rolling.......

Brian

Brian,

OK - I'll bite.

There is a very, very funny Aussie comedien named Pam Ann who did one of the best routines I have ever seen anywhere (yes, about a Pan Am stewardess with an original Pan Am costume). True story.

Do you think this got the ball rolling?

Rambling Man? Brits know about this guy? Pan Am? What about all those other airlines that have gone to the great airport in the sky!

Brian - without your droll humor, these threads would be very dull, in deed!

Hope the summer is not too hot in the UK. This colonist is hoping for a not too hot,dry summer in northern Nevada. Cheers!!!

Pam Ann actually tours the UK regularly and we had tickets to see her at the Edinbugh Festival a couple of years ago but were sooo tired after 8 shows in 11 hours we had to lleave that one. Will catch her next time round.

I think the list of defunct airlines is so long that we would need a seperate thread about the comparison between the food on O as compared to a cross channel ferry to set them out in detail.

To those of you who prefer to keep on topic......my apolo......damn I can't bring myself to say the word.

Byeee

Brian

I recently started reading a thread which was on a topic that I, obviously, was interested in. The thread had quite a few replies...4 or 5 pages worth and had strayed VERY far afield of the original topic. One comment about the straying was to the ilk of "Don't worry about it, it makes for interesting conversation".

While that is very true (the conversation had turned to the delicious food onbaord the Oceania ships..ummmm) those tidbits (with no calories) are lost to someone who wanted to know about the delicious food and who didn't read read this thread because it was on a totally different topic. Plus, even though there is a wealth of knowledge and experience being shared that I, as a new cruiser, find extremely helpful, it is time consuming to read all of the comments. {The positive side of spending the time to read all of the yaking is that I am saving on razor blades...not shaving as much...no time! ;)}

Rocket 40...This is not a Board room or a Class room where one must always stay on topic...This is a Social Chat room, which happens to be about cruising..;)

A question; if you are in a social situation, such as a dinner or cocktail party & bring up a topic, are you offended when the topic completely changes? And do you correct your peers about staying on topic?

If not, then you should not be offended about your topic changing on the boards..Ive been on these boards for over 7 years & acknowledge that most topics stray..

However it behooves OP's to read & if necessary wade thrrough all posts..If your question is not answered, you can politely mention to those who may have strayed off the topic, that you still have not received an answer,,,,Please don't preach but feel free to ask that we get back on topic..

JMO...Cheers..:)Betty

Sorry, I don't agree that this is a social chat room. There are plenty of other places for that. This is a board for people to share information and ask questions on specific topics, not discuss the weather or their pets.

Sorry, I don't agree that this is a social chat room. There are plenty of other places for that. This is a board for people to share information and ask questions on specific topics, not discuss the weather or their pets.

Wow...Can't believe that you are seriously telling us exactly what this board is all about! If you don't like what is being discussed perhaps you should contact the HOSTS of the board & request to have all the personal posts removed..

Also please don't misquote me again...My post stated:

"This is a Social Chat Room, that happens to be about cruising" and that is exactly what it is..

Obviously you have not perused some of the other cruise lines boards..Check some of them out..Posters are very friendly with each other, socialize on & off cruises, get together for lunch etc..They chat about their families, ask for prayers for an ailing poster, are pleased when someone mentions the birth of a grand baby etc etc..Quite often things become off topic..Then someone would nicely come in & try to get the topic back without being offensive in their critisism...

Laura, her Assistant & the Hosts, are in charge of deciding what is permitted & not permitted on this board..If & when the Hosts decide that they do not want posters to discuss pets, weather, health etc, they will either delete all those posts or send them to the float-away lounge, which happens to be strictly a social chat room within Cruise Critic..Perhaps you should check this out...

You probably realize that several long time posters on this board resent the OP's censure...

I'm tying to be understanding by suggesting that this is not a board room or a class room where Moderators, or instructors are there to keep posters on the topic at hand.. This is a Social Chat room about Cruising..

The OP is obviously annoyed that his thread was hijacked & became off topic about something else which, by the way, happened to be cruise related..No where did he say it became off topic about personal things..He was annoyed that he had to wade through different posts about the delicious food on Oceania...So What! If you are going to start a thread, you should be willing to wade through all the posts on your thread!

Agree, we should try to stay on topic, but also agree that topics should be interesting to all posters, not just the one who started the thread..If the OP's question was not answered & he needed more info there is a way to get the info, without alienating other posters..

However, if someone becomes offensive or you don't like what is being discussed on a thread, you have the option of flagging the post (use the Little red triangle in the top right hand corner of each post) & advising the Host that you consider it off topic or offensive..The host may not take action & may not heed your request, but it's their final decision not ours..

Cheers....:) Betty

Apparently Hijacking is illegal in some "waters" and I have it on really good authority that some of these threads are now carrying Israeli Security guards to ensure the smooth thread particularly if anyone mentions Somalia.

Brian

Wow! I can't believe the maelstrom created by my simple suggestion that interesting discussions may be lost if imbedded in threads of other topics.

With the tone of being 'slam-dunked' by some, it will be quite a while before I have stopped wimpering and cowering in the corner and become bold enough to make an innocent suggestion!

Ridiculous.

Hey Rocket4Oh

No offense was meant by me and you should stop wimpering immediately and boldly go where no man has ................blah blah.

You will see on other threads I try and be somewhat helpful but this thread was just too good to let go.

Keep us the postings and enjoy.

Brian

The hosts usually do chime in when a thread has gone off topic, but obviously not often enough to alert posters that there are indeed rules here on CC.. One of those rules is that posts should concern the OP's topic and not veer off. If one wants to chat you can do it on twitter in 140 characters or less.

To all of you who are upset about ...(fill in the word), get a life!! So someone had the audacity to go off topic. Big deal and deal with it! Without Brian_UK this thread would be boring.

Either some people are working too hard or have too much time on their hands. You know what is said about idle hands!

Well smack my B** for not knowing my UHS from my elbow.

I think that in the 10 years since your visit you will findthat many improvements have been made to the road. Jean, my better half is terrified of sheer drops, a reason for NEVER doing the Amalfi drive, but she was quite comfortable with this drive.

Brian

Archived