Staying in Southampton pre-cruise - location of Hotels

loopyloo33

I have been looking at hotel & parking options for Southampton. When you select Southampton port parking and hotel the total is £99 for hotel and 15 days parking at the Holiday Inn Express.

If I select airport parking and hotel at Southampton airport I can get the Hilton Hotel with 15 days parking for £90.

Is it very far from Hilton Hotel near the airport to Ocean Terminal?

Hotel address

Hilton Southampton

Bracken Place

Chilworth

Southampton

Hampshire

SO16 3RB

Approx how much would a taxi cost?

We are staying at the Etap Hotel the night before our cruise. 35pound a night. I don't think it is too far away from the port from Google Earth. There are a few of us staying there. It doesn't look too glamerous on the net but hey it is only for one night and that leaves more for the fun things on the ship.:D

Regards - Janet

We are staying at the Etap Hotel the night before our cruise. 35pound a night. I don't think it is too far away from the port from Google Earth. There are a few of us staying there. It doesn't look too glamerous on the net but hey it is only for one night and that leaves more for the fun things on the ship.:D

Regards - Janet

If I didn't need car parking I would do the same but the cheapest parking quote I have found is £99 for 14 nights so £90 including a hotel and parking seems to good to be true. This is what makes me think that the Hilton hotel is miles from the port!

Returned recently from a QV cruise, Got the Hilton Hotel package free from our TA. The present package costs £199 per room, which includes Car Parking for the duration of the cruise, 1 night B&B with full English Breakfast, and Coach Travel To and From the Cruise Terminal. Your Luggage is Checked in at the Hotel when you arrive, and you do no see it again untill it arrives in you cabin. We thought this was a very civilised way to start a holiday.

Hi - have you not got free parking with your cruise? I thought all P&O cruises this year came with free parking?

You needed to book before 30 September 2008, or something like that.

However, it's possible that the current offers for this summer include free parking again, so it could be that the only people who don't have free parking are those who booked between [whatever the date was last autumn] and early this year.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Eastleigh .It was fine and included parking and transfer to the Ship but you had to make your own way back to the Hotel.

As an alternative to P&O's quayside parking as an alternative try Southampton Cruise Parking from the Holiday Extras Site it is a bit cheaper and return transfers to and from the ship are included.

We booked at the beginning of August last year for August 2009 and did not get free parking.

Oh dear.

Gail

Free parking is available for next year if you book before the end of June

Brian

I accepted our travel agents offer of free parking but when the documentation arrived I saw that the car park was across the river somewhere and involved a 15-20 minute transfer.

Cancelled the offer and booked on dock car parking thru' CPS, happy now.

Have to say that there are several ok hotels in the area that you can stay in, some obviously better than others.

Firstly there's the cheap and cheerful ETAP hotel, near the dock gate entrance. £35 per night, but you have to pay parking. WARNING :- ETAP is not the hotel to stay in over a weekend, as it's used by hen/stag nights, people going to the Odeon World or other nightclubs, and it gets very noisy and messy. Which brings me onto an alternative:-

IBIS hotel, which is slightly more expensive, next door to the ETAP, but you definitely won't get the hassle like you would at ETAP. Again you have to pay to park.

Around the corner there's the Novotel, which is slightly more expensive, though I don't know about the parking arrangements there.

If you're flush with cash there's the deVere Grand Hotel, but you would be wasting your money.

The Holiday Inn right next to Mayflower Park is another alternative.

There's also a Holiday Inn near Nursling off the M271 into the city.

Of course if you're going from the Ocean Terminal or QE II Terminal, you might have further to go. From the hotel. Would recommend that if you do get offered free car parking and it's by CPS, that you take it.

Hope that helps

Scrozuk

We have just booked today and got free parking. we stay at Travel lodge in eastleigh when cruising, it cost £29 per night per room and it was a 10 minute drive from port.

Also I made enquiries for parking when we sail on Cunard (NO FREE parking) Mcdonald Hotel offered 20 day parking and 1 night with breakfast for £ 99 per person (Port parking was £160) Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I think that if you are coming from any distance to Southampton, it's best to arrive in the city the night before.

Believe me, you can tell Summer's here, cos roadworks are sprouting up everywhere, and as usual on the main routes into the city :mad:

By staying overnight in or just outside the city, makes for a much calmer morning getting to the ship, though if you are going to either the QE II or Ocean terminal (Eastern docks), then you're best to come in through either Northam Road or through Portsmouth Road instead of coming down the M271 and then having to navigate all the roadworks, and worst of all West Quay Road.

Conversely if you are leaving through Mayflower or City Cruise terminals, come down through the M271, or, you can come down the Avenue and into the city that way.

Just give yourself plenty of time, don't leave it too late to get to the terminal. Found that best time to go is roughly 11am-midday. After that, it can get manic!!

Scrozuk

scroz gives a good overview of the hotel situation.

In order of closest to port, you have...

Holiday Inn

De Vere

Etap

Ibis

Novotel (the last three are all on the same site).

With regards to the hilton, it is located outside the city as has been suggested. I should think a taxi ride would cost the best party of £10, although i don't know to what extent the cabbies try to stick the extras on when they see cruise passengers and their luggage! I swear I saw somebody on here the other daya saying they paid £5 for a taxi from the Novotel to one of the cruise terminals, which is dalyight robbery.

scroz gives a good overview of the hotel situation.

In order of closest to port, you have...

Holiday Inn

De Vere

Etap

Ibis

Novotel (the last three are all on the same site).

With regards to the hilton, it is located outside the city as has been suggested. I should think a taxi ride would cost the best party of £10, although i don't know to what extent the cabbies try to stick the extras on when they see cruise passengers and their luggage! I swear I saw somebody on here the other daya saying they paid £5 for a taxi from the Novotel to one of the cruise terminals, which is dalyight robbery.

Can believe it with the taxi drivers in Southampton. Got a taxi to take us to the train station, and when I saw he was trying to take us round the houses, put him straight immediately.

Anyhow, can believe a taxi from Novotel to the dock can cost £5, if they deliberately go to go through West Quay Road when it's busy. If anyone is staying at IBIS/ETAP/Novotel complex, and are going from the Eastern docks (Ocean and QEII), then tell the taxi driver to go down the other road call Harbour Road.

Should it be really snarled up with traffic (which believe me, it can do so easily!), then get them to go through Western Esplanade, down Portland Terrace and pick up the Castle Way/Briton Street and Queens Terrace way. Have done this route as a workround a few times when the roads are jammed down West Quay.

Scrozuk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we have just come back from Southampton and stayed at the Express Holiday Inn in Redbridge Lane, there are two Holiday Inns, this one was out of town but easy to get to off the M271. The taxi to the port was approx £11 and took about 10 mins depending on traffic. Not much in the way of facilities at the hotel, but it was only for a bed for the night, so we thought OK and would do again. The hotels on the front in Southampton would still need a v short taxi ride to the docks with your luggage. Hope this is of some use.

M

Archived