afternoon tea

bluenoser2

I can't recall seeing many or any kids at our afternoon tea, but it's something I am going to try with DD. Afternoon tea might be in the middle of one of kids club very 'important' activity....Wii bowling which can be wee fun:D.

Scones for afternoon tea

Recipe392.jpeg

2 cups all-purpose flour (SR Flour)

¼ tsp baking soda

3/4 Tbs baking powder

1 tsp salt

4 ½ Tbs butter

3/4 cup buttermilk

Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or with two knives until a coarse meal texture is obtained. Add buttermilk and knead lightly. The dough should be soft but not sticky: if it is, add a little more flour.

Preheat the oven to 230°C. Roll out the dough 1cm thick on a lightly floured surface and cut with a scone/biscuit cutter. (If you don't have one, a drinking glass of the desired diameter will work okay.) Transfer scones to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.

Serve with strawberry spread (jam) & cream

I can't recall seeing many or any kids at our afternoon tea, but it's something I am going to try with DD. Afternoon tea might be in the middle of one of kids club very 'important' activity....Wii bowling which can be wee fun:D.

We took our 5 year old granddaughter. She loves dressing up as a princess and she felt like one at the tea. She still talks about having tea with mom and Nana.

While living, working and touring in the UK, my hubby, ex-pat friends, and I would take time out for tea, a great way to recharge for the rest of the day. I carried the tradition over and during the summer have tea with the kids, they LOVE it!! It is a great way to teach and reinforce manners.

I tend to be a 'cup half full' sort of person. However i have to say that the Afternoon Tea is Afternoon tea only in name. It really lacks the splendour of a real English Afternoon tea with Sandwiches and Scones and a 3-tier plate of cakes on the table from which to chose. Mini scones and biscuits is falls short of this. Oh and tea in a tea pot would be nice, and someone tell the waiters that you don't continually top up tea cups.

Ritz Carlton Hotels [around the globe] or the Beverly Hills Hotel have the nicest High Tea's I've ever attended [without going to Europe!]

I take the ship's version of High Tea with a "grain of salt" and, I enjoy whatever they have to offer!

Yes, I did and enjoyed every moment of the special setting. For my next cruise I am packing outfits befitting of the tea occasion. I went without DH because I knew he wouldn't be interested. DH would not in a million years give up his afternoon nap for afternoon tea...a'int going to happen:eek: I shared the occasion with some wonderful ladies I met on deck. We became tea buddies:D The cookies in HC were fabulous, though I am not a cookie eater:p

Is your husband related to mine? I swear mine goes on a cruise to get a good nap. I just go off and do my own thing. Going to tea without the spouse is no big deal. Just a nice event the ship has.

This is probably a really dumb question, just one of many floating around in my head, but as I not so patiently await our Alaskan cruise in June, it was one of my wonderings.....on our last cruise I went to afternoon tea with my parents and had a lovely time. This time it's just my husband and me travelling, and he doesn't drink tea or coffee, and I was wondering, how could I entice him to join me for tea? I'm thinking that with a few sea days it might be a lovely diversion in the afternoon (he's more the milk and cookies kinda guy up by the pool). I guess I could go by myself, as I'm sure many do, and maybe that's what I'll do. Does anyone go to "tea" that doesn't drink tea? Would that be strange?

I don't drink tea, but LOVE the scones :D:D:D:D at afternoon tea so I either ask for coffee or milk and have always received either with no problem.

I tend to be a 'cup half full' sort of person. However i have to say that the Afternoon Tea is Afternoon tea only in name. It really lacks the splendour of a real English Afternoon tea with Sandwiches and Scones and a 3-tier plate of cakes on the table from which to chose. Mini scones and biscuits is falls short of this. Oh and tea in a tea pot would be nice, and someone tell the waiters that you don't continually top up tea cups.

Maybe, but is costs about £35 per head ($50+) plus tip in a top London hotel No charge on board...I'll settle for the excellent Princess version anyday:D

Just sailed on Star (10 May) - only made it to tea one afternoon, but so glad I got to experience it! DH wasn't interested, so went with bf. We were seated at a table with others - conversation with all was easy. But if you don't want to be seated with others, just tell them you want a table to yourself. Didn't seem to be a specific dress code as we saw dresses to jeans. There were two ladies at our table who were Mormon & do not drink typical tea (due to the caffeine). They were each brought a teapot of herbal tea. So, I'm sure if one wants chocolate milk or something else, it will be brought to the table. Go and enjoy!

Is your husband related to mine? I swear mine goes on a cruise to get a good nap. I just go off and do my own thing. Going to tea without the spouse is no big deal. Just a nice event the ship has.

I read about tea before going and did the roll eyes, pffff sound. On vacation I challenge myself to try something different, so afternoon tea was it. Thanks to anytime dining , I was able to make the most of this treat. For a true Kodak moment I would like our family to try it. The plan is to have DD asked DH and hope DS sees a cute friend who is interested in tea;) For sure, I will be enjoying this with DD which will be a very special occasion for us.

I read about tea before going and did the roll eyes, pffff sound. On vacation I challenge myself to try something different, so afternoon tea was it. Thanks to anytime dining , I was able to make the most of this treat.

That is what I do on cruises. Try to break out of the same routine. Do the tea, attend some of the lectures, just do different things.

A tea story, out here we have a nice senior home. Years ago my friend from South Africa had a son that got a job there. She would drag me to their Sunday Tea's for the residents and friends since her son was a server. He would be all dressed up with the gloves. She lived for that. I think she just liked showing off her son all dressed up. :D He was a very nice kid.

Archived