HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS, State Route 84, FLL Any one stayed here?

rosegrower

We have stayed 2 times at the HIX on the 17th Street Causeway and it was fine, loved the food at Kellys Landing, shopping at Publix and Total Wine, all within walking distance. For our next cruise we will be driving and would like to use our rewards points for the HIX, State Route 84 because it has an onsite fitness room (need recumbent bike for knee after 2 day drive) a heated pool, free drop off at Port Everglades and $10 per night parking a night for our car while on cruise. Is this a good area? Will driving to Kellys Landing restaurant from there (STATE ROUTE 84) be a problem? We should not have to do much last minute shopping since we are driving and can bring our favorite wine, soda for the ship from home. I guess a safe area would be our biggest concern! I hope someone can give us some information on this hotel. Thanks!

We have stayed 2 times at the HIX on the 17th Street Causeway and it was fine, loved the food at Kellys Landing, shopping at Publix and Total Wine, all within walking distance. For our next cruise we will be driving and would like to use our rewards points for the HIX, State Route 84 because it has an onsite fitness room (need recumbent bike for knee after 2 day drive) a heated pool, free drop off at Port Everglades and $10 per night parking a night for our car while on cruise. Is this a good area? Will driving to Kellys Landing restaurant from there (STATE ROUTE 84) be a problem? We should not have to do much last minute shopping since we are driving and can bring our favorite wine, soda for the ship from home. I guess a safe area would be our biggest concern! I hope someone can give us some information on this hotel. Thanks!

The location is fine. It is on a busy road but that is no biggie. You aren't far from the shops and restaurants on 17th street but if you have a car, I'd head over to Las Olas.

Thanks for your reply! My DH is concerned about leaving the car there. We could pay the extra $5 a day and park at the port. Would traffic be a problem from this location to drive to the port?

I would spend the extra five dollars a day to park at the port for two reasons.

A. It is more convenient.

B. Cab fare will eat up your savings. Even though they have a free shuttle to the port, it doesn't mean it will be on your time frame or convenient to you.

I would spend the extra five dollars a day to park at the port for two reasons.

A. It is more convenient.

B. Cab fare will eat up your savings. Even though they have a free shuttle to the port, it doesn't mean it will be on your time frame or convenient to you.

and C. it is more secure.

St Rd 84 is less than a mile from 17th St., so it is in the same vicinity. You'll be at Kelly's Landing and the port in 5-10 minutes. Even though you will be closer to the port entrance by US1, go to the port entrance by 17th St (Eisenhower Blvd) because there will be much less traffic lines. Since you will have a car and are looking for a casual restaurant, I would suggest trying the Palm Grill at Las Olas Riverfront. They have excellent food, are on the water (indoor/outdoor), and have great live entertainment outdoors most nights. They have dinners for $11.95 that include a salad, such as marinated skirt steak, and have 3 drinks for $9.

I would stay on 17th... Embassy suites is next to a Publix store and a Wine store (Total Wine).

Parking at the Port is 15.00. Covered and patrolled by police. Nothing like walking off of the ship to the garage. Sometimes the hotel shuttles come by every 20 to 30 minutes...and you stand out in the baking sun! or rain!

St. Rd 84 is a main street...meaning I would not walk to anywhere from this road. If you are staying on St. Rd. 84...you would have to turn left onto US1...go 1 mile down to turn right onto 17th Street. Then you would have to go another mile 1-2 to hit the restaurant area. There are three entrances into the Port and St. Rd. 84 right into a checkpoint.

As far as traffic at the Port....goto http://www.porteverglades.net and look at the ship calendar. See how many ships are in Port the day you sail.

http://www.sunny.org

Okay, Thanks, I guess it is back to the drawing board to find a room. If we do not need to use the long term parking option, then we could stay at another hotel, we have Hilton points also.

There are an Embassy Suites and Hilton Marina on SE 17th St. (all in the Hilton family). There is a new Hilton on Fort Lauderdale beach. And there are Hampton Inns in north Fort Lauderdale, downtown, airport area (by State Rd 84) and Plantation. So you have a lot of choices with Hilton.

and C. it is more secure.

St Rd 84 is less than a mile from 17th St., so it is in the same vicinity. You'll be at Kelly's Landing and the port in 5-10 minutes. Even though you will be closer to the port entrance by US1, go to the port entrance by 17th St (Eisenhower Blvd) because there will be much less traffic lines. Since you will have a car and are looking for a casual restaurant, I would suggest trying the Palm Grill at Las Olas Riverfront. They have excellent food, are on the water (indoor/outdoor), and have great live entertainment outdoors most nights. They have dinners for $11.95 that include a salad, such as marinated skirt steak, and have 3 drinks for $9.

We are staying at the HIX-17th Street....would we be within walking distance to Palm Grill? (we will have our car if we need to drive).

Thanks!

We are staying at the HIX-17th Street....would we be within walking distance to Palm Grill? (we will have our car if we need to drive).

Thanks!

Well, I wouldn't walk it, but it's only about 2 miles each way. There are 3 parking garages right there.

Archived