A First-timers Review: Carnival Liberty 5-2-2009 (with photos and capers)!

Hollybelle

Dinner was good once again and throughout the meal Kamsi kept making a fuss over my mom, Kimber (apparently Kim and Kimberly just weren’t working for him)! We were all clueless until a chocolate melting cake with a candle came out along with singing servers! Birthday time for yesterday’s birthday girl!! Good thing she’d had her share of drinks at the Captain’s Party. Otherwise she might have been mortified, as she hates it when attention is drawn to her. It was hilarious because she kept looking around at us as we profusely denied being involved in any kind of set up. I still don’t know if she believes us, but we really were telling the truth. Kamsi, with the help of Carnival, must have cooked this one up all on his own!

“Who us? But we’re so innocent.”

DSC00921.jpg?t=1242949523

Tonight's offerings.

Prime Rib:

DSC00922.jpg?t=1242949575

Grilled Chicken:

DSC00923.jpg?t=1242949622

Lobster and Shrimp:

P5030099.jpg?t=1242949679

Perch:

P5030101.jpg?t=1242949715

Chocolate melting cake, birthday style:

P5030105copy.jpg?t=1242949787

Sidenote: not a fan of the chocolate melting cake so many people rave about. I guess it was just too bitter for me. I prefer milk chocolate and couldn’t stomach the cake without a heaping spoonful of ice cream in my mouth. Give me the Grand Marnier soufflé any day!

After dinner, we decided to change into something more comfortable before the show. The show was “Singing with the Big Bands” and it was my and Brett’s first experience with a Carnival show. Not good. And I’m usually not a tough audience when it comes to things of this nature. I mean, I like the music of Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. okay, but this show was more about the star (Christopher Alan Graves) and his love of these singers. It just felt long, drawn out and lackluster. Even the dancers were phoning it in; you could tell they weren’t enjoying their own performances. During a rendition of “Candy Man” they brought kids from Camp Carnival up on stage, and even the kids looked bored… probably because their part required them to do no more than sit there. I might have even seen some of them glaring out into the audience at their parents... as if to say, "Why??????? Why won't you help me?" And during the swing songs of the evening, there was NO swing dancing to be seen. Oh, the horrors! Throw one or two couples on the stage who can really swing and that would have been a blast to watch. But I digress.

We were sitting in the balcony and watched as many people made a quick escape, which I’m sure wasn’t nearly as rude as the snarky comments the four of us were quietly making to one another in the peanut gallery. Afterwards we even contemplated running to the dining room to make a public service announcement and save all those unsuspecting souls from impending doom (okay, okay, so maybe I’m exaggerating just a bit). We restrained ourselves… seeing as how it would have been wildly inappropriate to interrupt the late seating!! My mom was trying to convince me this show was an aberration, not the norm, but it took another (much better) show later in the week for me to stop wondering if she was just pulling my leg.

Hindsight 20/20… I would have totally skipped this to watch Wall-E at the Carnival Seaside Theatre! Funny… I think there would be some irony in watching that movie from a lounge chair on a moving ship J!

We made our way down the promenade to check things out and get seats for the adult’s only comedy at the Victoria Lounge. Before it started Brett and I snuck over to the Piano Bar for a quick drink and some Billy Joel, where we witnessed the massacre of Scenes from an Italian Restaurant!!!

The comedy of Carl Guerra was funny but short; he had a couple of great one-liners. But I do have to say there was an older gentleman sitting right up front that stole the show (before it even began) when he got up on the stage and entertained a packed room with his hilariously stellar dance moves. His wife just sat there shaking her head and smiling; this certainly wasn’t her first rodeo considering how long they’d been married. It was cute.

Waiting for the comedy show, and thinking that getting drunk might erase the last show from our memories (no such luck):

P5030111.jpg?t=1242950047

Once the show ended we called it a night and made our way back to our staterooms via the stairwell. My crazy parents have a rule for themselves about always using the stairs instead of the elevator. A healthy alternative, unless you’re prone to heart attacks I’m sure. Shh… don’t tell them this, but I must admit, if they wouldn’t have been there Brett and I would have totally bailed on our health and used the elevators!

Panchito making friends with a heffalump:

P5030116.jpg?t=1242950111

And it appears that the elephant in my parents’ room had had a few too many margaritas:

DSC00928.jpg?t=1242950154

So apparently, now that we were scheduled to arrive in port the next day, it was time to set our watches back an hour. And we were going to stay with Central Standard Time for the remainder of our cruise, switching back over to Eastern the night before disembarkation in Miami.

Next up: Ocho Rios, Jamaica!

We were on the Liberty in February. Normally DH and I love the piano bar - if this is the same guy sorry to say he stunk it up. He had a terrible personality and played alot of Elton John - didn't seem to know to many Beetle songs. We wanted to like him as it is one of our favorite hang outs but we couldn't even hang for the trivia game one afternoon.

Hollybelle - sorry to jump into your thread - the Liberty is such an awesome ship we loved it. Keep the pics coming it brings back great memories.

Hollybelle, have you ever considered a Disney Cruise? Sounds like you really enjoyed cruising and (from your marathon review) it is clear that you love the Disney Characters. The shows are great, there are adult only areas and the characters are plentiful! I have some great pictures of my family with Mickey/Minnie and Donald/Daisy all in their formal wear. Even a great one of me kissing a "Tuxed-out" Goofy.

We took the kids when they were 7 and 4. We loved it so much that when the older one was granted a wish by the Make-A-Wish Foundation, he chose to go on another Disney Cruise! One of his best moments on the second cruise was when Hades recognized him from our first trip (two years earlier!).

Anyway, keep this review coming! It is great! Can't wait to sail the Liberty!

Your review is GREAT so far, I look forward to reading the rest of it. My wife and I were also on this sailing and had a great time as well. If I ever feel like taking the time, maybe I'll write a review too... but for now, I can offer to add a few more pictures to yours (my review wouldn't be written as well anyways!). I also stitched some panoramics from our balcony (Room 8392) of the Miami skyline, so here they are.

DSCF0259_stitch.jpg

DSCF0263_stitch.jpg

DSCF0271_stitch.jpg

If others have picture requests from the Liberty, let me know... we ended up with over 1000 photos from the week :)

First let me say I love your review. Photo's are awesome! I only saw capers for 2-3 May do you have them all? If so can you send them to me at maggiedp@comcast.net. Love to know what is going on before I get there.

Again thats for a teriffic review.

Liberty 24 Oct 09:):):):)

Love the review, we leave in a week and reallly appreciate the time you have spent writing this.

We too will be on the Liberty in Feb!

Way too far off though.

Great review and photos so far. I love those capers too. I can't wait for December to get here!

Thanks everyone! You all are going to have so much fun... she's a great ship!

I love Clemson! I see you have a hat! Also you live in SC by Charolette so.... do you love Carowinds?!

Yay... Tiger fan!! I actually work at Clemson. After graduating, I didn't want to leave!! Disney has spoiled me on the theme park experience, so I'm not a big Carowinds fan. I've only been there once :eek:.

We were on the Liberty in February. Normally DH and I love the piano bar - if this is the same guy sorry to say he stunk it up. He had a terrible personality and played alot of Elton John - didn't seem to know to many Beetle songs. We wanted to like him as it is one of our favorite hang outs but we couldn't even hang for the trivia game one afternoon.

Hollybelle - sorry to jump into your thread - the Liberty is such an awesome ship we loved it. Keep the pics coming it brings back great memories.

I fully agree with you about the piano player, but because I haven't been on any other ships I didn't know whether or not his type was the norm. So it's good to know they're usually better than this because before we got on the ship I really thought I would love the piano bar and spend a lot of time there.

Hollybelle, have you ever considered a Disney Cruise? Sounds like you really enjoyed cruising and (from your marathon review) it is clear that you love the Disney Characters. The shows are great, there are adult only areas and the characters are plentiful! I have some great pictures of my family with Mickey/Minnie and Donald/Daisy all in their formal wear. Even a great one of me kissing a "Tuxed-out" Goofy.

We took the kids when they were 7 and 4. We loved it so much that when the older one was granted a wish by the Make-A-Wish Foundation, he chose to go on another Disney Cruise! One of his best moments on the second cruise was when Hades recognized him from our first trip (two years earlier!).

Anyway, keep this review coming! It is great! Can't wait to sail the Liberty!

Ohh believe me, we have totally talked about a Disney cruise, even before this first cruise on Carnival. When we saw the Magic in Grand Cayman, Brett and I were practically salivating just thinking of all the characters on board (wow, I sound quite stalkerish!). And I have to say, smart kid you have to choose a Disney cruise from Make-a-Wish, and I love that Hades recognized him... that is so special!!

Your review is GREAT so far, I look forward to reading the rest of it. My wife and I were also on this sailing and had a great time as well. If I ever feel like taking the time, maybe I'll write a review too... but for now, I can offer to add a few more pictures to yours (my review wouldn't be written as well anyways!). I also stitched some panoramics from our balcony (Room 8392) of the Miami skyline, so here they are.

If others have picture requests from the Liberty, let me know... we ended up with over 1000 photos from the week :)

Beautiful panoramas, J2K66!!! And thank you for the kind words. Even if you don't want to do the reporting, you should totally do a Liberty Photo Review thread!! It would be great.

I love this review....the Liberty looks beautiful...which is giving me ideas. Booking ideas....

Needless to say, I can't wait for more. And your photo taking skills are awesome!

Thanks!! It's giving me booking ideas, as well. As I relive it I want to book another one :D.

First let me say I love your review. Photo's are awesome! I only saw capers for 2-3 May do you have them all? If so can you send them to me at maggiedp@comcast.net. Love to know what is going on before I get there.

Again thats for a teriffic review.

Liberty 24 Oct 09:):):):)

Thank you! You are going to have so much fun. I have the capers saved on my desktop at work so I'll email them to you sometime Monday.

Your review is GREAT !!! I know this must be hard work to post this .so thank you :) BTW I love the pics of the food :)

Thanks! Writing it is time consuming, but I really enjoy it; it's a great way to relive the experience. When I finish my review/reports (this is my fourth) I actually create a word document (with photos) to print out, as a sort of photo journal/keepsake of our trips.

More, More!!!

Please..... :)

It's on the way!!

Im SOOOO happy to have found your review! We leave in 6 days! More! More!

smallblank-1.jpg

You are going to have so much fun... I'm green with envy :D!

More is on the way. Hopefully I'll have the first half of Day 3 up tonight.

This is a great review Holly! DH and I will be on the Liberty in Oct. so we are excited to see pics of it.:)

Can you tell me what kind of camera you used?

You and Brett are a cute couple. I just read your WDW Marathon report. Awesome!:D

This is a great review Holly! DH and I will be on the Liberty in Oct. so we are excited to see pics of it.:)

Can you tell me what kind of camera you used?

You and Brett are a cute couple. I just read your WDW Marathon report. Awesome!:D

Thanks, Junebug! That marathon will most likely go down as one of my greatest personal accomplishments, ever :)!

And I use an Olympus 800, which most of the pictures were taken with; however, a good many of the pictures were taken with my mom's camera, a Sony (I can't remember the specific model). Both are simple point and shoots. And the Olympus is actually quite a few years old, it was my mom's before she got a new one.

I think the real secret is making sure you have your camera set to take pictures on one of the highest quality settings. The memory card won't hold as many pictures when you do this, but it's worth paying extra for more storage so you don't have to sacrifice quality.

And I do make some adjustments in photoshop after taking the pictures, which usually accounts for the brightness of colors.

Archived